Author Topic: Lee Priest seminar at Vince's Gym in Sydney, Sept 13-08.  (Read 33360 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Re: Lee Priest seminar at Vince's Gym in Sydney, Sept 13-08.
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2008, 05:31:56 AM »
Whats that bicep supinator? Did you make it on your own?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2008, 05:45:16 AM »
For some reason I found it hilarious that Lee's doing the classic 'thumbs up' pose with his daughter.

Even funnier is that he charged her $15 for the pic.
 ;D

Nice pics.
Lee looks good.
I miss him on the boards.
If you didn’t fvck about and give him a hard time he was a very cool dude.
And sure, some of his workout claims sound unbelievable to many people, but most people never look like that no matter what they do or take.

As for Lee making over 6 figures, I believe a few years back he was earning 60k+ for either his Twinlab or MD contract alone. He also had that reality series which ran for a couple of years and did pretty well. I also remember hearing that he signed a deal with Ferrari. And if he (or someone else) managed his money well, I can believe his claim.

I’ve not kept up on things lately.

Vince,
Does Lee still have business dealings with Tom Platz and Scott York?
The IFBB has reinstated him?

io856

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2008, 05:46:00 AM »
His daughter is beautiful, thanks for sharing the pictures Vince.

Im sure all the heads as you call them are happy that you are improving/building machines. Can't say that about many if any modern gym owners. Most just buy the whole hammer strength line not knowing bodybuilders only like their chest machines with some cybex.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 05:48:36 AM »
Also when is he copeting next? Has he told you Vince?

I miss him too here...

io856

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 05:50:24 AM »
Also when is he copeting next? Has he told you Vince?

I miss him too here...
Lee is doing the Arnold!

I wonder if he is doing the ironman or Australian pro shows.

He is going to prep in Australia this time.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 06:58:17 AM »
Lee said he is doing the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne next year. He didn't say anything at the seminar about any other contests.

Gotta laugh at the gyms that install the Hammer line of plate loaded equipment. I hate those plate loading machines except for the leg presses, etc. I recall seeing the Hammer seated Calf machine and I shook my head. Who the heck designed that! Bodybuilders like the chest press and one or two other Hammer machines but gym owners think the whole line must be great. Then their instructors have to go around unloading those big plates from time to time. I like the Hammer chest presses with twin weight stacks. Those are worth installing in a gym.

The biceps supinator was conceived in 1986 by myself and an engineer friend who showed me it was possible to build. I patented the design in 1991 and it finally passed in the USA in 1995. Cost a fortune for each patent in the several countries I applied in. Then there were renewal fees every year which made the enterprise way too expensive. No way I would patent any design myself now. The trick is not to display it then sell the design and let someone else spend all the money.

It takes a lot of time and energy to design and build something new. I do everything from drawing to painting and delivery. As a graduate in philosophy it is ironical that I work with steel. It is challenging and interesting to build something new but I won't build equipment for anyone else. All my machines go into our gym in Sydney. I am probably one of the few gym owners who has a factory and designs and builds most of his own equipment.

For example, I have a personal lat machine that has a 455 pound weight stack on it. Definitely the biggest and strongest lat machine ever made. I used to dream about making machines when I was going to UBC in Vancouver. Some of the lectures were boring so I would dream of making special machines. In 1981 I opened a factory and have had one ever since. I first started building machines in 1975 in a spare room at the back of my gym in West Ryde.

Here is my assisted dip-chin machine. It will accommodate people who weigh over 450 pounds.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »
Lee doesn't post on Getbig since he is under contract with MD magazine. I suppose he is smart enough to not use capitals if he has a gimmick account. Talking of intelligence, I would say that Lee is well above average. He was a little guy to start with and look how big he got. He reminds me of Larry Scott who had to work very hard to win the major titles.

I smile when I read how some think they know more about training than Lee does. I doubt many Getbiggers know much at all. One by one we get to see what some look like and they resemble intermediate guys you see in any gym. Few get to be as big as their mouths!

I was curious about what Lee was going to say about training. I was pleasantly surprised that his methods agree with mine to a large extent. He has paid his dues and knows what works. He used to train with Paul Dillett who is another giant. He also trained with a German bodybuilder. Gosh, I should have recorded the seminar so I could get my facts exactly right.

Lee told us an amazing story about doing leg presses. What he did puts to shame any claim Adonis has for endurance. Well, some dude challenged him to do something like 50 reps with 500 pounds on the leg press. When he easily did it he was 'bet' he couldn't do 100 reps. The dude kept challenging Lee to do more and I believe Lee ended up doing 1017 reps with that weight! That is just incredible.

The way Lee handled the doubters and critics at Getbig impressed me. Lee was cool and consistent and always gave a sensible answer. This is all consistent with high intelligence. I don't think he went far in school but the guy has a lot of sense and a good attitude to life.

It takes a special individual and extraordinary motivation to accomplish what he has done.

Too bad that most of the pros don't think for themselves like Lee does. We might have a much better sport if they did.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 08:04:45 AM »
Lee doesn't post on Getbig since he is under contract with MD magazine. I suppose he is smart enough to not use capitals if he has a gimmick account. Talking of intelligence, I would say that Lee is well above average. He was a little guy to start with and look how big he got. He reminds me of Larry Scott who had to work very hard to win the major titles.

I smile when I read how some think they know more about training than Lee does. I doubt many Getbiggers know much at all. One by one we get to see what some look like and they resemble intermediate guys you see in any gym. Few get to be as big as their mouths!

I was curious about what Lee was going to say about training. I was pleasantly surprised that his methods agree with mine to a large extent. He has paid his dues and knows what works. He used to train with Paul Dillett who is another giant. He also trained with a German bodybuilder. Gosh, I should have recorded the seminar so I could get my facts exactly right.

Lee told us an amazing story about doing leg presses. What he did puts to shame any claim Adonis has for endurance. Well, some dude challenged him to do something like 50 reps with 500 pounds on the leg press. When he easily did it he was 'bet' he couldn't do 100 reps. The dude kept challenging Lee to do more and I believe Lee ended up doing 1017 reps with that weight! That is just incredible.

The way Lee handled the doubters and critics at Getbig impressed me. Lee was cool and consistent and always gave a sensible answer. This is all consistent with high intelligence. I don't think he went far in school but the guy has a lot of sense and a good attitude to life.

It takes a special individual and extraordinary motivation to accomplish what he has done.

Too bad that most of the pros don't think for themselves like Lee does. We might have a much better sport if they did.

:)

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »
Good stuff 'Vince Basile' ....I didnt see you in the group pic though ?
L

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 04:07:37 PM »
I took the group photo. I made everyone laugh because I had the flash on and there was a pause after I pressed the shutter so I lifted the camera up and the flash went off! I guess I had the flash set to red eye reduction so there was a pause. I had to laugh because it took a while to get everyone in position. Lee said it was like being at a wedding when photos are taken.

I used my little G9 for several of the photos and had no trouble. The bigger and heaps more expensive Nikon D300 is way more complicated to use.

Here is another shot of the group. Click on the photo description to open it up to a larger size.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
Lee posed with everyone who wanted a shot or two with him. All got the thumbs up!

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2008, 04:00:29 PM »
I dont know anyone today, or even in the last 10 years, that trains a muscle more than once a week,

:o

That's crazy. Crazy that you don't know anyone who trains a muscle more than once a week.

io856

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »
:o

That's crazy. Crazy that you don't know anyone who trains a muscle more than once a week.
Maybe he doesn't talk to motivated bodybuilders?  ;D

California Muscle

• Getbig II
  • War in the West
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »
Vince Basile: You make for some of the very best threads on Getbig. Thanks very kindly.

You know, you catch a lot of shit on here, but that's because you don't lash back.  I respect the "high road" approach for the sake of civility, but you ought to try letting loose once in a while.  Most of the guys giving you continual trouble are just "followers" - they'll jump on a dogpile simply for the sake of jumping.  In other words, as individuals, they're weak...very weak.  And if you strike back at them individually, they'll disappear.

Anyhow, take the advice for whatever it's worth.  But please keep up the great posting.
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬►

Member XX

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2008, 12:29:57 PM »
That face tat is looking pretty dark again- is he still getting that removed?
why did he get a tat on his face anyways?  ???

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2008, 01:27:41 PM »
w is vince allowed to promote his gym on here

while openly slating the mods and the board

how positive is that  ???
T

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »
Very cool thread Vince. Thanks for the stories and the pics.

I got a laugh from your patent experiences. I have a half dozen tech patents and I will never do that again! You spend money right and left on them, and when it gets down to it, you would probably be better off just making the product and selling the piss out of it (unless you invented some new wonder drug, but that is a whole different ball game).

The picture of Lee in the group shot is cool. You really get a feel for how big the guy is compared to the average lifter. He looks like a cartoon character, he is so out of the ordinary!

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2008, 09:32:43 AM »
Cool stuff.
Vince is dwarfing Lee  :D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2008, 08:36:23 PM »
Is Lee Priest pretty famous in Australia?

I mean, more so than American bodybuilders are in the states?

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2008, 04:35:17 AM »
Is Lee Priest pretty famous in Australia?

I mean, more so than American bodybuilders are in the states?

Nope.  I'd never heard of him before I got interested in bbing.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2008, 04:52:33 PM »
Vince Basile: You make for some of the very best threads on Getbig. Thanks very kindly.

You know, you catch a lot of shit on here, but that's because you don't lash back.  I respect the "high road" approach for the sake of civility, but you ought to try letting loose once in a while.  Most of the guys giving you continual trouble are just "followers" - they'll jump on a dogpile simply for the sake of jumping.  In other words, as individuals, they're weak...very weak.  And if you strike back at them individually, they'll disappear.

Anyhow, take the advice for whatever it's worth.  But please keep up the great posting.

I don't have any trouble in person dispensing all and sundry who stir me. I am quite good at that. However, when I post on line I represent myself and also my gym so I have to present responsibly and as an educated person.

I do have a strategy to the nuisances who attack me for no good reason. I simply never, ever, reply to them again. After a while they don't get what they want so don't bother me. I think that the agenda of some is to see who can really piss me off. Well, that hasn't happened yet. What usually happens is they get more annoyed and resort to even more insults in an effort to get a response out of me. Way too many threads on Getbig end up in slinging matches and everyone attacks each other. That can be amusing as long as you are just an observer. Most of the time that behaviour is quite childish.

Lee apparently is going back to Las Vegas in November. He needs to be there to eventually get his Green Card.

California Muscle

• Getbig II
  • War in the West
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »
I don't have any trouble in person dispensing all and sundry who stir me. I am quite good at that. However, when I post on line I represent myself and also my gym so I have to present responsibly and as an educated person.

I do have a strategy to the nuisances who attack me for no good reason. I simply never, ever, reply to them again. After a while they don't get what they want so don't bother me. I think that the agenda of some is to see who can really piss me off. Well, that hasn't happened yet. What usually happens is they get more annoyed and resort to even more insults in an effort to get a response out of me. Way too many threads on Getbig end up in slinging matches and everyone attacks each other. That can be amusing as long as you are just an observer. Most of the time that behaviour is quite childish.

Lee apparently is going back to Las Vegas in November. He needs to be there to eventually get his Green Card.

You're not a meltdown kind of guy, Vince.  I've got to hand it to you.  In that sense, considering the dynamics of this site, you're one of the all-time winners here. 

As a side, I'll bet you've got some pretty clever gimmicks going...but no need to admit it to me.  ;)  ;D
▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬►

Luv_2build

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2008, 07:30:50 PM »
I say Jay's W-2's and I am correct. BTW Einstein, in case you didn't read the earlier post an idiot like you said Jay makes a million a year. Bwhahahahahahhahaa.
I am glad you posted what the beef was, now Vince can decide his next move.

You both seem like reasonable people to me.

You saw Jay's w2?  I am sure he shares it with everyone ::)

Luv_2build

• Getbig III
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2008, 07:32:22 PM »
I highly doubt Lee made $250K per year, ever. Ronnie and Jay MAY make that much, but it would be close I think.

As for the 20 sets per bodypart-and not believing in overtraining-PLEASE.

I dont know anyone today, or even in the last 10 years, that trains a muscle more than once a week, and 20 sets is on the high side for anyone.
Maybe that is why he looks like he does and that is why you look like you do.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
Vince, What brands of welding machines do you have down under?