Author Topic: THIS IS THE BEST OF ALL TIMES  (Read 1559 times)

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
THIS IS THE BEST OF ALL TIMES
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:24:30 PM »
HE was an American athlete. Considered one of the most versatile athletes in modern sports, he won Olympic gold medals in the pentathlon and decathlon, played American football collegiately and professionally, and also played professional baseball and basketball. He subsequently lost his Olympic titles when it was found he was paid for playing two seasons of minor league baseball before competing in the games (thus violating the amateur status rules).
p

dan18

• Getbig V
Re: THIS IS THE BEST OF ALL TIMES
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:13:44 PM »
59 veiws does no one know the great jim thorpe
p

S_Samuel

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »
Who?

TPSRPBBW-fan1

• Getbig II
  • Liberal is not a bad word
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »
a town in pa is named after him, shitty town but awesome athelete
a lot of the athletes from the early part of the century were considered to be better than the newer athletes because they didn't have the improved fitness methods we have now, and they got similar times.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
a town in pa is named after him, shitty town but awesome athelete
a lot of the athletes from the early part of the century were considered to be better than the newer athletes because they didn't have the improved fitness methods we have now, and they got similar times.
correct sir its thorpsville pa they say if the earth had an asshole that would be it
if you are in the middle of the town look around and it looks like youre in a cone..
p

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
definitely one of the best, i'd throw Jim Brown in there as well but not too many kids and young people know about Thorpe because it was so long ago.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:27:54 PM »
Who?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 04:28:16 PM »
HE was an American athlete. Considered one of the most versatile athletes in modern sports, he won Olympic gold medals in the pentathlon and decathlon, played American football collegiately and professionally, and also played professional baseball and basketball. He subsequently lost his Olympic titles when it was found he was paid for playing two seasons of minor league baseball before competing in the games (thus violating the amateur status rules).

He was good, but not the best. At the time, American was still feeling the effects of Cvil war, Jim Crow was alive and well, so therefore many black athletes couldn't compete, let alone get a chance at training.  And basketball, football was at it infatancy, hell compared to Jesse Owens the man was a turtle.

He was a great athlete but compared to the ones mentioned, he wouldn't measure,  he wouldn't even be able to beat freshman high school football or basketball, or track and field athletes (who are at the top of their game)  

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »
definitely one of the best, i'd throw Jim Brown in there as well but not too many kids and young people know about Thorpe because it was so long ago.
There are a hadnfull of athletes who have played 2 sports but not like thorp
football baseball basketball olympic gold winner pentathlon and decathlon even though they took them away after his death they were given back...no one has ever matched this mans credits ever....
p

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
There are a hadnfull of athletes who have played 2 sports but not like thorp
football baseball basketball olympic gold winner pentathlon and decathlon even though they took them away after his death they were given back...no one has ever matched this mans credits ever....
yeah Jackie Robinson was a guy who played a bunch of sprots pretty well but probably not like Thorpe.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 04:35:26 PM »
He was good, but not the best. At the time, American was still feeling the effects of Cvil war, Jim Crow was alive and well, so therefore many black athletes couldn't compete, let alone get a chance at training.  And basketball, football was at it infatancy, hell compared to Jesse Owens the man was a turtle.

He was a great athlete but compared to the ones mentioned, he wouldn't measure,  he wouldn't even be able to beat freshman high school football or basketball, or track and field athletes (who are at the top of their game)  
Thorpe was a multi-racial Native American and white European American. He was raised as a Sac and Fox, and named Wa-Tho-Huk, roughly translated as "Bright Path". He struggled with racism throughout much of his life and his accomplishments were publicized with headlines describing him as a "Redskin" and "Indian  hello major racism
p

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 04:37:05 PM »
Thorpe was a multi-racial Native American and white European American. He was raised as a Sac and Fox, and named Wa-Tho-Huk, roughly translated as "Bright Path". He struggled with racism throughout much of his life and his accomplishments were publicized with headlines describing him as a "Redskin" and "Indian  hello major racism
there's an awesome American Indian kid playing quarterback for the Oklahoma Sooners right now, Sam Bradford, one of the best college QB's in the country, he's part Cherokee.

bigj2k3

• Getbig II
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »
I made the argument for thorpe earlier in the other best athlete post. He was the best.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
there's an awesome American Indian kid playing quarterbak for the Oklahoma Sooners right now, Sam Bradford, one of the best college QB's in the country, he's part Cherokee.
I believe you since i dont follow the sooners,Im a irish fan..
p

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »
I made the argument for thorpe earlier in the other best athlete post. He was the best.
I just felt he needed his own thread ;D
p

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 04:53:08 PM »
Anyone can argue that the athletes that came after Jim were better in basket ball,baseball ,track and Field whatever but in life people will evolve in sports and with different types of training methods ''yes'' athletes should get better..

bottom line in no one and i mean no one has done as many sports as Jim won gold medals in all his Fields,his accomplishments in all sports have not been touched in this day and age.... 
p

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 05:08:54 PM »

Quite true, but it was thought that he was Native Americans were closer to white (hell back in the day Native Americans were taller than their Euro Am. counterparts) ...As I said, at the time it was the height of Jim Crow...

he was good,and good for a American just entering the the 20th Century, but I never felt that he was outstanding...especially for the fact that most of the sports mentioned were at their infancy, i think Thorpe was at the right place at the right time...it's a shame more Native American youth don't look up to Thorpe and use that as a inspiration 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 05:10:40 PM »
Jim Thorpe lived in my old hometown of Hawthorne, CA for awhile.  I think he might have died there but not sure.  They named a park after him.