Author Topic: Obama takes back his lead in the Polls  (Read 5546 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Obama takes back his lead in the Polls
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2008, 05:44:04 PM »
RCP averages?

CNN's was today as the Palin surge goes down.  RCP has averages that are over 1 week old?

CNN is ONE source; RCP has several sources, many of which are less than a week old.

As it stands now, Colorado is the difference between who wins this election. Obama's ahead by 0.6. That's the difference between a 273-265 Obama edge and a 274-264 McCain edge.

The Coach

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »
Coach do you have any original thoughts, or do you just cut and paste from conservative websites?

The Real Culprits In This Meltdown
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Monday, September 15, 2008 4:20 PM PT

Big Government: Barack Obama and Democrats blame the historic financial turmoil on the market. But if it's dysfunctional, Democrats during the Clinton years are a prime reason for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read More: Business & Regulation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obama in a statement yesterday blamed the shocking new round of subprime-related bankruptcies on the free-market system, and specifically the "trickle-down" economics of the Bush administration, which he tried to gig opponent John McCain for wanting to extend.

But it was the Clinton administration, obsessed with multiculturalism, that dictated where mortgage lenders could lend, and originally helped create the market for the high-risk subprime loans now infecting like a retrovirus the balance sheets of many of Wall Street's most revered institutions.

Tough new regulations forced lenders into high-risk areas where they had no choice but to lower lending standards to make the loans that sound business practices had previously guarded against making. It was either that or face stiff government penalties.

The untold story in this whole national crisis is that President Clinton put on steroids the Community Redevelopment Act, a well-intended Carter-era law designed to encourage minority homeownership. And in so doing, he helped create the market for the risky subprime loans that he and Democrats now decry as not only greedy but "predatory."

Yes, the market was fueled by greed and overleveraging in the secondary market for subprimes, vis-a-vis mortgaged-backed securities traded on Wall Street. But the seed was planted in the '90s by Clinton and his social engineers. They were the political catalyst behind this slow-motion financial train wreck.

And it was the Clinton administration that mismanaged the quasi-governmental agencies that over the decades have come to manage the real estate market in America.

As soon as Clinton crony Franklin Delano Raines took the helm in 1999 at Fannie Mae, for example, he used it as his personal piggy bank, looting it for a total of almost $100 million in compensation by the time he left in early 2005 under an ethical cloud.

Other Clinton cronies, including Janet Reno aide Jamie Gorelick, padded their pockets to the tune of another $75 million.

Raines was accused of overstating earnings and shifting losses so he and other senior executives could earn big bonuses.

In the end, Fannie had to pay a record $400 million civil fine for SEC and other violations, while also agreeing as part of a settlement to make changes in its accounting procedures and ways of managing risk.

But it was too little, too late. Raines had reportedly steered Fannie Mae business to subprime giant Countrywide Financial, which was saved from bankruptcy by Bank of America.

At the same time, the Clinton administration was pushing Fannie and her brother Freddie Mac to buy more mortgages from low-income households.

The Clinton-era corruption, combined with unprecedented catering to affordable-housing lobbyists, resulted in today's nationalization of both Fannie and Freddie, a move that is expected to cost taxpayers tens of billions of dollars.

And the worst is far from over. By the time it is, we'll all be paying for Clinton's social experiment, one that Obama hopes to trump with a whole new round of meddling in the housing and jobs markets. In fact, the social experiment Obama has planned could dwarf both the Great Society and New Deal in size and scope.

There's a political root cause to this mess that we ignore at our peril. If we blame the wrong culprits, we'll learn the wrong lessons. And taxpayers will be on the hook for even larger bailouts down the road.

But the government-can-do-no-wrong crowd just doesn't get it. They won't acknowledge the law of unintended consequences from well-meaning, if misguided, acts.

Obama and Democrats on the Hill think even more regulation and more interference in the market will solve the problem their policies helped cause. For now, unarmed by the historic record, conventional wisdom is buying into their blame-business-first rhetoric and bigger-government solutions.

While government arguably has a role in helping low-income folks buy a home, Clinton went overboard by strong-arming lenders with tougher and tougher regulations, which only led to lenders taking on hundreds of billions in subprime bilge.

Market failure? Hardly. Once again, this crisis has government's fingerprints all over it.

http://ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=306370789279709

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
LOL @ blaming Clinton for the uncontrolled borrowing from 02 thru 05.

Repubs owned white house and the congress.  They could do anything they wanted.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 06:06:39 PM »
The fucking dems caused ALL this.Fanny and Freddy were democrat controlled.THEY wanted to give loans for housing to minorities and those who couldnt afford it.Now they are reaping what they sowed.Once again,libs love to give shit away to those who dont deserve it and cant pay for it.
It was caused by a complete roll back of the investment banking regulations from 6-7 yrs ago when congress was all republican.
Do you even know anything about the economy?

MattT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Sponsored by: PVL Sports Nutrition
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
FL Obama 48% McSame 48%
OH Obama 49% McSame 48%
NC Obama 47% McSame 48%

These are new CNN time research polls just released this evening.  McSame had a 5% lead on Obama in FL last week, that is now gone. ;)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »
CNN is ONE source; RCP has several sources, many of which are less than a week old.

As it stands now, Colorado is the difference between who wins this election. Obama's ahead by 0.6. That's the difference between a 273-265 Obama edge and a 274-264 McCain edge.

I think Obama is going to win Colorado, but I don't think that will be enough. 

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 06:48:34 PM »
LOL @ blaming Clinton for the uncontrolled borrowing from 02 thru 05.

Repubs owned white house and the congress.  They could do anything they wanted.
LOL, so true! next they will blame Clinton for staying in Iraq.

The Coach

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 07:06:15 PM »
........all the while Obama is taking contributions from Fanny and Freddie.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 07:22:54 PM »

The young and stupid always vote for the liberal.  Then when they get older, learn how life works, and come to understand there's no free lunch most of them become conservatives.

The biggest reason the posters on this board are 80+% Obama supporters is that being a bodybuilding board, a disproportionate share of posters here are young.
yeah I agree that was me.  Now that I'm older 26, my views are more conservative.  No way I could stand going to college today and getting fed all the liberal crap by most of the professors.  When I was younger I didn't know better I thought they were being objective and actually giving us the education we were paying for.  But looking back I can't believe how unprofessional and unethical a lot of them were with their liberal bias. 

MattT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Sponsored by: PVL Sports Nutrition
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 10:45:59 PM »
yeah I agree that was me.  Now that I'm older 26, my views are more conservative.  No way I could stand going to college today and getting fed all the liberal crap by most of the professors.  When I was younger I didn't know better I thought they were being objective and actually giving us the education we were paying for.  But looking back I can't believe how unprofessional and unethical a lot of them were with their liberal bias. 

::)  sure yeh we want to put another republican in the white house, so we can enjoy another 4 years of peace and prosperity ::)  As things are just doing so great in America right now under republican power.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 10:54:04 PM »
We don't have ENOUGH MONEY to fix Social Security
We don't have ENOUGH MONEY to fix Medicare
We don't have ENOUGH MONEY to provide health care to ALL Americans
We don't have ENOUGH MONEY to help out Americans losing their homes
We don't have ENOUGH MONEY to help all our veterans returning from war

BUT

We DO HAVE ENOUGH MONEY to bail out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
We DO HAVE ENOUGH MONEY to bail out Bears Stearns
We DO HAVE ENOUGH MONEY to bail out AIG
We DO HAVE ENOUGH MONEY to pay for an unnecessary TRILLION DOLLAR war

:D
Nice

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 12:25:37 AM »
I thought election winners were predetermined now.
DAWG

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
I thought election winners were predetermined now.
yea, if it's a close election, the republican wins.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2008, 01:32:25 AM »

Now you're just being stupid, Rob...   I expect this kind of sentiment from the kids on here, but you know damn well what happens if we let the financial system melt down.  It's not a matter on one bank "failing"...  everything's so intertwined these days, that chain reactions are pretty damn easy to start, and that's what we're on the brink of now. Then liquidity dries up, then regular "main street" businesses start to fail because they can't get the capital they need to operate, then people start losing their jobs en mass, then everything snowballs from there and we're back in 1929.  Paulson and Bernanke are doing their best to keep that from happening, and media-types who know jack shit about economics who disingenuously present these "bailouts" in the way you just did are not helping the situation.

And while I agree the spending on the war is not helpful, if we'd let Saddam torpedo the dollar or worse threaten oil supplies, we'd have had another problem.

Sure, to most idiots out there, all Mr. Barack "Change but no substance" Obama has to do is wave his magic wand and soon the rivers will all be flowing with milk and honey, there will be a BMW in every driveway, and every high-school dropout will have a $70,000/yr job he doesn't have to work too hard at, but I think you know better than that.  We're seeing things threaten our economy and thus our way of life that weren't even on the horizon a decade ago, and hard choices would have to be made no matter who is in office, and we'd be in the current situation even if President Kerry were in the white house.

Do you really expect 240 to have any sensible opinion?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2008, 04:53:46 AM »
FL Obama 48% McSame 48%
OH Obama 49% McSame 48%
NC Obama 47% McSame 48%

These are new CNN time research polls just released this evening.  McSame had a 5% lead on Obama in FL last week, that is now gone. ;)

Fox just released a poll that has McCain back up by 5 in Florida. And he's ahead by 2 in Colorado.

More importantly, for both candidates, according to this poll, they are TIED in both Virginia (big concern for McCain) and Pennsylvania (big concern for Obama).

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2008, 04:57:28 AM »
Fox just released a poll that has McCain back up by 5 in Florida. And he's ahead by 2 in Colorado.

More importantly, for both candidates, according to this poll, they are TIED in both Virginia (big concern for McCain) and Pennsylvania (big concern for Obama).

if it stays the same, McSame will win.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2008, 05:15:05 AM »
if it stays the same, McSame will win.

As I said, if Colorado remains red (with these other factors put into place), McCain wins 274-264.

If Virginia and Pennsylvania flip, it's McCain 282-256

If Obama keeps Pennsylvania, gets Virginia, and holds Colorado, Obama wins 286-252.

If Obama keeps Pennsylvania, gets Virginia, but McCain keeps Colorado, Obama gets it 277-261.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2008, 05:25:57 AM »

Now you're just being stupid, Rob...   I expect this kind of sentiment from the kids on here, but you know damn well what happens if we let the financial system melt down.  It's not a matter on one bank "failing"...  everything's so intertwined these days, that chain reactions are pretty damn easy to start, and that's what we're on the brink of now. Then liquidity dries up, then regular "main street" businesses start to fail because they can't get the capital they need to operate, then people start losing their jobs en mass, then everything snowballs from there and we're back in 1929.  Paulson and Bernanke are doing their best to keep that from happening, and media-types who know jack shit about economics who disingenuously present these "bailouts" in the way you just did are not helping the situation.

And while I agree the spending on the war is not helpful, if we'd let Saddam torpedo the dollar or worse threaten oil supplies, we'd have had another problem.

Sure, to most idiots out there, all Mr. Barack "Change but no substance" Obama has to do is wave his magic wand and soon the rivers will all be flowing with milk and honey, there will be a BMW in every driveway, and every high-school dropout will have a $70,000/yr job he doesn't have to work too hard at, but I think you know better than that.  We're seeing things threaten our economy and thus our way of life that weren't even on the horizon a decade ago, and hard choices would have to be made no matter who is in office, and we'd be in the current situation even if President Kerry were in the white house.

I know some of the bailouts were required - too big to fail.  I guess it's just sour grapes that Bush's bravado over the last 8 years is biting us now.  Every chance he had to spit in the eye of world leaders, or refuse UN asssistance in Iraq... Those fvcking Bush tax cuts on the rich during the good times.

If he'd have just taxed during that time, we wouldn't be in this shit now.  I remember an interview with Gore in 2007 where he was outright pissed about the specific warnings Bush had on 911, and how 911 led to these two wars, and I see how it all comes together.  I just have to think that with Gore at the wheel, 911 wouldn't have been allowed to happen, and we would have taken a different path, and wouldn't be in this shitstorm today.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2008, 06:46:04 AM »
Ok 240 what in the 8 years of Clinton makes u say that. Gore, like the rest of the Dems would have done nothing.
L

leland000

• Getbig II
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2008, 07:58:07 AM »

BUT

Brilliant insight and analysis such as this makes it easy to identify you as a truly noteworthy economist. This country has finally found the modern day William McChesney Martin Jr. it so desperately needs. I'm going to have to go out on a limb and assume your Ph.D. is either from Harvard or Columbia.

Or maybe you're just some white trash dipshit who spends too much time on the internet addressing subjects in which he doesn't even posess an elementary understanding of.

leland000

• Getbig II
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2008, 08:18:06 AM »
FL Obama 48% McSame 48%
OH Obama 49% McSame 48%
NC Obama 47% McSame 48%

Nothing like poll analysis from uneducated Canadians. The Republican Party has carried Fl in 3 of the last 4 elections, and NC in all 4. McCain will win Ohio no problem, as well as Virginia, West Virginia, and Colorado.

Can you even identify Florida on a map? We already know that Dubai is a tough one for you. Here's an idea...get a map and use your finger to point to the area in which you have citizenship. Do you see that it's not the United States? You don't even get a friggin vote!

Your fruity man love can now be redirected towards Will Harris.....your Obama pipe dream is dead.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2008, 08:23:14 AM »
I like this guy, welcome to the Pol board.
L

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »
Nothing like poll analysis from uneducated Canadians. The Republican Party has carried Fl in 3 of the last 4 elections, and NC in all 4. McCain will win Ohio no problem, as well as Virginia, West Virginia, and Colorado.

Can you even identify Florida on a map? We already know that Dubai is a tough one for you. Here's an idea...get a map and use your finger to point to the area in which you have citizenship. Do you see that it's not the United States? You don't even get a friggin vote!

Your fruity man love can now be redirected towards Will Harris.....your Obama pipe dream is dead.

Actually, Virginia and Colorado may or may not be as solid as you think.

Virginia's current Democratic governor and Virginia's leanings in general these days may very well go blue.

McCain made a huge fuck up in Colorado by promoting the redistribution of their water supply or some such... I know personally many republicans who have stated that due to that single comment, they will not be voting for John McCain.

The rest I agree with completely.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2008, 09:47:05 AM »

BUT

All politics come down to values and you've just made a great statement about what republicans value and what democrats value.

Now let's sit back and watch middle america cut its own throat by voting for Big Mac and against their own self-interest. 

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2008, 10:43:37 AM »

That all changed on Sept 15 with the financial meltdown.
FL is even and NC is within 2 % Ohio went from McCain uo by 4 to now down by 2.
Fair or not McCain was and is the king of deregulation and unrestricted free trade.
Those policies resulted in the unregulated short selling that was the root of the proble