Author Topic: The Subprime Mess and Phil Gramm: An Experiment in Deregulation  (Read 1185 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
The Subprime Mess and Phil Gramm: An Experiment in Deregulation
« on: September 17, 2008, 04:54:38 PM »
The Subprime Mess and Phil Gramm: An Experiment in Deregulation
Posted by Paul Kiesel
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:12 PM EST

In 1933, a few years following the stock market crash, Congress passes the Glass-Steagall Act, in hopes that regulating banks will help prevent market instability, particularly amongst Wall Street banks. The purpose of the act is to separate commercial banks that focus on consumers from investment banks, which deal with speculative trading and mergers.

The Glass-Steagall Act provided the proper oversight and entity separation that would prohibit banks and other financial companies from merging into giant trusts (conflict of interests) -- giant trusts or corporations being more powerful, naturally, and having the seemingly limitless capital to lobby their corporate interests, however, with a very myopic scope (particularly when it comes to factoring in potential losses -- most banks, as seen in contemporary times, chose not to anticipate losses in the mortgage market; they presumed home prices would continue to appreciate).

In 1999, former Senator Phil Gramm (who is, incidentally, Senator John McCain's economic adviser and cochairs his presidential campaign) set out to completely gut the Glass-Steagall Act, and did so successfully, replacing most of its components with the new Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act: allowing commercial banks, investment banks, and insurers to merge (which would have violated antitrust laws under Glass-Steagall). Sen. Gramm was the driving force behind the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, as he had received over $4.6 million from the FIRE sector (Finance, Insurance and Real Estate donations) over the previous decade, and once the Act passed, an influx of "megamergers" took place among banks and insurance and securities companies, as if they had been eagerly awaiting the passage of Gramm's Act. Everything in between Glass-Steagall and Gramm-Leach-Bliley (i.e. Savings and Loan crisis/bust) was, in large part, the incubation period for what would take place over the nine years that would follow the passage of Gramm's Act: an experiment in deregulation.

Shortly after George W. Bush was elected president, Congress and President Clinton were trying to pass a $384 billion omnibus spending bill, and while the debates swirled around the passage of this bill, Senator Phil Gramm clandestinely slipped a 262-page amendment into the omnibus appropriations bill titled: Commodity Futures Modernization Act. It is likely that few senators read this bill, if any. The essence of the act was the deregulation of derivatives trading (financial instruments whose value changes in response to the changes in underlying variables; the main use of derivatives is to reduce risk for one party). The legislation contained a provision -- lobbied for by Enron, a major campaign contributor to Gramm -- that exempted energy trading from regulatory oversight. Basically, it gave way to the Enron debacle and ushered in the new era of unregulated securities. Interestingly enough, Gramm's wife, Wendy, had been part of the Enron board, and her salary and stock income brought in between $900,000 and $1.8 million to the Gramm household, prior to the passage of the Commodity Futures Modernization Act.

In 2003, Gramm left the Senate to join UBS, which had acquired investment house PaineWebber due to his deregulation bill. At UBS, Gramm lobbied Congress, the Fed and the Treasury Department. During Gramm's tenor at UBS and as a lobbyist, Congress passed the Responsible Lending Act, billed as an anti-predatory-lending measure, but was called the "Loan Shark Protection Act" by consumer advocates, as it was designed to preempt stronger state laws against anti-predatory lending. The Fed largely ignored the underlying and growing problems within the subprime mortgage/housing markets, as Bernanke famously acknowledged the housing market in April, 2007 as, "[showing] signs of softening," but said that a "sharp slowdown," is unlikely. Then, according to Mother Jones magazine, Henry Paulson became the Treasury Secretary in July, 2007, when, "In 2005, [at] Goldman [he] securitized $68 billion in residential mortgages and $23 billion in 'other assets' primarily related to CDOs," (Mother Jones, August, 2008). With such self-interest, and a lack of the nation's interest, we can see how this subprime mess was allowed to escalate to such great proportions.

Some justice was served, however, this spring, as UBS became one of the subprime debacle's biggest losers, having to write down $37 billion -- the same amount as their previous four years of profits combined. UBS also made the public aware that two-thirds of its losses were due to reckless investing in collateralized debt obligations (CDOs).

Now, Gramm has a second chance of extending his out-of-touch and ill-performing policies, as Senator John McCain appointed Gramm to be his "economic expert" and cochair of his presidential campaign, last year. Also, it is likely that if Senator McCain were to win in November, Gramm would be our next Treasury Secretary, which means more of the same deregulatory mess and the continuation of failed and insidious economic policies.

Find this article at:
http://losangeles.injuryboard.com/miscellaneous/the-subprime-mess-and-phil-gramm-an-experiment-in-deregulation.aspx?googleid=242468

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: The Subprime Mess and Phil Gramm: An Experiment in Deregulation
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »
Bump, people need to read this.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »
Bump, people need to read this.

Why? According to Gramm, ...you are just a nation of "whiners".

Gramm's words, not mine.  :'(
w

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:20:05 PM »
Did you read it?

pssst: Yes I read it. I was just being sarcastic.
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 01:08:57 AM »
bump again

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 06:00:46 AM »
McCain has suggested that he would pick Graham for Treasury Sec... ::)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 06:41:21 AM »
The two guys who tanked Freddie Mac and Frannie May are Obama's chief advisiors....so there is no help from there either.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 06:45:43 AM »
The two guys who tanked Freddie Mac and Frannie May are Obama's chief advisiors....so there is no help from there either.
::)  care to back your bullshit

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 06:54:51 AM »
Haaaahahahaahahah Ok Hugo i suggest u do some research.

Franklin Raines  is the former chairman and chief executive officer of Fannie Mae who served as White House budget director under President Bill Clinton. He is currently employed by Barack Obama's Presidential Campaign as an economic adviser.

On December 21, 2004 Raines accepted what he called "early retirement" [2] from his position as CEO while U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigators continued to investigate alleged accounting irregularities. He is accused by The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO), the regulating body of Fannie Mae, of abetting widespread accounting errors, which included the shifting of losses so senior executives, such as himself, could earn large bonuses [3].

In 2006, the OFHEO announced a suit against Raines in order to recover some or all of the $50 million in payments made to Raines based on the overstated earnings [4] initially estimated to be $9 billion but have been announced as 6.3 billion.[2].

Civil charges were filed against Raines and two other former executives by the OFHEO in which the OFHEO sought $110 million in penalties and $115 million in returned bonuses from the three accused.[5] On April 18, 2008, the government announced a settlement with Raines together with J. Timothy Howard, Fannie's former chief financial officer, and Leanne G. Spencer, Fannie's former controller. The three executives agreed to pay fines totaling about $3 million, which will be paid by Fannie's insurance policies. Raines also agreed to donate the proceeds from the sale of $1.8 million of his Fannie stock and to give up stock options. The stock options however have no value. Raines also gave up an estimated $5.3 million of "other benefits" said to be related to his pension and forgone bonuses.

L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 06:55:59 AM »
A review of Federal Election Commission records back to 1989 reveals Obama in his three complete years in the Senate is the second largest recipient of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae campaign contributions, behind only Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., the powerful chairman of the Senate banking committee. Dodd was first elected to the Senate in 1980.

According to OpenSecrets.com, from 1989 to 2008, Dodd received $165,400 in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac campaign contributions, including contributions from PACs and individuals, followed by Obama, who received $126,349 in such contributions since being elected to the Senate in 2004.

In contrast, McCain warned of the coming mortgage crisis as he pressed in 2005 for regulatory reform of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=75586

In the aftermath of the U.S. government takeover, attention has focused on three Democrats with close ties to Obama who served as Fannie Mae executives: Franklin Raines, former Clinton administration budget director; James Johnson, former aide to Democratic Vice President Walter Mondale; and Jamie Gorelick, former Clinton administration deputy attorney general.

All three Obama-related executives earned millions in compensation from Fannie Mae.

Johnson earned $21 million in just his last year serving as Fannie Mae CEO from 1991 to 1998; Raines earned $90 million in his five years as Fannie Mae CEO, from 1999 to 2004; and Gorelick earned an estimated $26 million serving as vice chair of Fannie Mae from 1998 to 2003, according to author David Frum, a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute.

All three have been involved in mortgage-related financial scandals.

L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 07:00:38 AM »
Internal regulating mechanisms of private business suck.  That's why gov. oversight is necessary b/c private business can't be trusted at all.  That's why Bush's active pre-emption of state oversight laws is so troubling.  He pre-empted the predatory lending oversight in favor of federal oversight and the federal oversight just disappeared.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 07:09:56 AM »
Haaaahahahaahahah Ok Hugo i suggest u do some research.

Franklin Raines  is the former chairman and chief executive officer of Fannie Mae who served as White House budget director under President Bill Clinton. He is currently employed by Barack Obama's Presidential Campaign as an economic adviser.

On December 21, 2004 Raines accepted what he called "early retirement" [2] from his position as CEO while U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigators continued to investigate alleged accounting irregularities. He is accused by The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO), the regulating body of Fannie Mae, of abetting widespread accounting errors, which included the shifting of losses so senior executives, such as himself, could earn large bonuses [3].

In 2006, the OFHEO announced a suit against Raines in order to recover some or all of the $50 million in payments made to Raines based on the overstated earnings [4] initially estimated to be $9 billion but have been announced as 6.3 billion.[2].

Civil charges were filed against Raines and two other former executives by the OFHEO in which the OFHEO sought $110 million in penalties and $115 million in returned bonuses from the three accused.[5] On April 18, 2008, the government announced a settlement with Raines together with J. Timothy Howard, Fannie's former chief financial officer, and Leanne G. Spencer, Fannie's former controller. The three executives agreed to pay fines totaling about $3 million, which will be paid by Fannie's insurance policies. Raines also agreed to donate the proceeds from the sale of $1.8 million of his Fannie stock and to give up stock options. The stock options however have no value. Raines also gave up an estimated $5.3 million of "other benefits" said to be related to his pension and forgone bonuses.

that doesn't cut to the heart of the matter does it you fucking douchebag?  Graham is central to the heart of the deregulation scheme.  Graham is McCain's primary goto man on these issues.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 07:13:33 AM »
Look Decker, while some regulation, covering criminal activity, is needed  ala the SEC, getting Gov involved got us into this mess in the first place. Uncle  Sam has no business running Freddie and Fannie as with  rampent corruption by two senior Obama advisors indicates. Now we're running AIG.

This all goes back to wanting people who have no business owning homes, owning a home. There hasn't been a single politician to step ndup and say, "hey, the home buyer is just as responsible". If I walked up to u and gave u a car, handed u the keys, would u take it. I might disagree with u Decker but ur not an idiot. U wouldn't take it, how will u prove ownership, get it registered etc. They did the same thing with alot of these people. "No paper"
 loans and "declared income" loans.....who the hell takes someones word on what they make, and who thinks thats how a loan works. Who the hell says look i can afford this house for 3 years but after that the price ballons to 8-12% interest, fuck it...I'll take it. If u do u deserve to loose ur home. Now normal people, people with good credit, will have to go through hell to get another home. People like me, who move all the time. I'm trying to sell house number 2 right now, but I think that I might keep it because nobody is going to get a loan for it.  I did not intend to be a land lord but this would be two homes I own that I'd be renting out.

Hugo...ur guys ran those companies into the ground...they picked up the Graham ball and ran with it. Graham didn;t deregulate and then say, hey douchbag libs, steal the companies blind then quit with huge settlements. And u need to relax, its obvious u were unaware that Obama was up to his ass in this, sorry bud.  ;D

L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 07:22:27 AM »
Dude u need to relax..........we'll be ok. Deep breaths man......
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 07:25:07 AM »
Its not my fault that neither guy has a plan. Nor is it my fault that one guy might have done nothing while the other guy has buddies who caused some of the problems......I happen to be in a very recession proof business. U can always reenlist. The wars aren't going anywhere.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 07:29:33 AM »
Look Decker, while some regulation, covering criminal activity, is needed  ala the SEC, getting Gov involved got us into this mess in the first place. Uncle  Sam has no business running Freddie and Fannie as with  rampent corruption by two senior Obama advisors indicates. Now we're running AIG.

This all goes back to wanting people who have no business owning homes, owning a home. There hasn't been a single politician to step ndup and say, "hey, the home buyer is just as responsible". If I walked up to u and gave u a car, handed u the keys, would u take it. I might disagree with u Decker but ur not an idiot. U wouldn't take it, how will u prove ownership, get it registered etc. They did the same thing with alot of these people. "No paper"
 loans and "declared income" loans.....who the hell takes someones word on what they make, and who thinks thats how a loan works. Who the hell says look i can afford this house for 3 years but after that the price ballons to 8-12% interest, fuck it...I'll take it. If u do u deserve to loose ur home. Now normal people, people with good credit, will have to go through hell to get another home. People like me, who move all the time. I'm trying to sell house number 2 right now, but I think that I might keep it because nobody is going to get a loan for it.  I did not intend to be a land lord but this would be two homes I own that I'd be renting out.
Of course the american public is to blame as well.  They live beyond their means.  They all think they can have the 2000-4000 sq ft home and live like an elite (or middle class at least) and they can't.  But this is exactly where gov's failure to blow the whistle on these practices is highlighted.

Gov. Regs. are like football rules.  If the enforcement arm of the gov does not do its job the whole thing falls apart.  Freedom from structure and rules is not productive freedom.  Could you imagine a football game with unenforced rules?  Ask Ed Hochuli that one.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:09 AM »
McCain’s call for tighter standards on Wall Street point to the lesson to be learned from this crisis: The great national experiment in attempting to push the home ownership rate above 65 percent has ended in disaster. Future homebuyers will be held to higher standards of creditworthiness—and will have to put more money down. Barack Obama’s attempt to condemn “Bush-McCain” economic policy evades the need to produce specific solutions of his own. 

As we shift from crisis management to the tough work of devising a longer-term response to the mortgage debacle, we’ll be reminded of another big fact about Obama. He is a classic big-city welfare-state politician. He has lots of ideas about how to share wealth created by others—but very few about how to ensure that wealth is created in the first place.

In attributing the mess on Wall Street to “Bush McCain” policies, Obama omits a key point: the specific policy underlying the mess is one he has enthusiastically endorsed throughout his career—the use of public loan guarantees to stimulate private home construction.

As a state legislator, Obama famously championed “public-private partnerships” to renovate slum housing. On a very small scale, he was advocating the same approach that has stuck the taxpayer with liability for uncounted tens or hundreds of billions of dollars in Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac obligations. It didn’t work any better in Chicago than it worked in Washington and New York

The bottom line for us and for these two guys is that stop pointing fingers,and give me a solution. Yes we need regulation..McCain said it and I'm sure Obama agree's, ok great now what. Obama did a two minute commercial, but says nothing but check his plan online. Most people are not going to check his plan. Further, its their job to sell the plan. Package the highlights that will sell the Obama/McCain plan. McCain has sold his foreign policy plan...Obama needs to sell his domestic plan. Change and hope are not a method.
L