Author Topic: ? for Vet re: DNA  (Read 2110 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
? for Vet re: DNA
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:44:09 AM »
I'd like to get Scout tested just for curiosity sake.  Seems the pricing is all over the board, anywhere from $40 to several hundred.

What should I look for when choosing a testing site and what would be a reasonable fee?  Or should I go directly through my vet?

:

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: ? for Vet re: DNA
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
wow, I wish I had a good answer for you on this one.   There are several companies that have jumped on the bandwagon with the canine DNA testing.   Honestly, in my opinion most of it is bullshit and a money making scheme.   That said, I guess there is some validity if you have a cross between two purebred dogs.  If you start getting into a true "mutt" meaning a mixed breed breeding with a mixed breed, it becomes much, much more difficult.   Honestly, I think proving parentage would be easier. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:08:22 PM »
Great pic of Scout!
R

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 06:29:17 PM »
wow, I wish I had a good answer for you on this one.   There are several companies that have jumped on the bandwagon with the canine DNA testing.   Honestly, in my opinion most of it is bullshit and a money making scheme.   That said, I guess there is some validity if you have a cross between two purebred dogs.  If you start getting into a true "mutt" meaning a mixed breed breeding with a mixed breed, it becomes much, much more difficult.   Honestly, I think proving parentage would be easier. 

Well, proving parentage is not an option.  I got him as a rescued puppy @ approx. 11 weeks from an over-crowded, out of state shelter.  He did not come with any history.

I'm sure he's a true mutt.  If indeed he is, then what does DNA testing provide?  Would it give 2 - 3 - 4 ? breeds or just one dominant breed?  Sounds like you're saying it would be a waste of $$$.

Great pic of Scout!

He is a handsome young fellow if I do say so myself  ;D
:

~weed~

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 03:49:30 AM »
Someone on here had that done, I can't remember who?    I looked into it for Briona, but the company didn't have Great Dane included in their testing yet so I said I would keep checking.    Danes are originally a greyhound mastiff cross so I don't know how that would show up?

The person who did it, he was happy, I think it cost him $80?? 

~weed~

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:52:17 AM »
Found the thread, it was also started by you Princess L!!  And it was wood who had it done:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=149608.0