Author Topic: Russia ratchets up US tensions with arms sales to Iran and Venezuela  (Read 1073 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Russia snubbed its nose at the United States today by announcing plans to sell military equipment to both Iran and Venezuela.

The head of the state arms exporter said that Russia was negotiating to sell new anti-aircraft systems to Iran despite American objections.

"Contacts between our countries are continuing and we do not see any reason to suspend them," Anatoly Isaikin, general director of Rosoboronexport, told Ria-Novosti at an arms fair in South Africa.

Reports have circulated for some time that Russia is preparing to sell its S-300 surface-to-air missile system to Iran, offering greater protection against a possible US or Israeli attack on the Islamic republic's nuclear facilities. The missiles have a range of more than 150 kilometres and can intercept jets approaching at low altitudes.

Related Links
Medvedev makes Russia Arctic annexation threat
Putin set to bait US with nuclear aid for Tehran
Ruslan Pukhov, director of the Centre for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies in Moscow, said that it was logical to conclude a lucrative contract with Iran "in the current situation, when the US and the West in general are stubbornly gearing toward a confrontation with Russia".

Russia has already delivered 29 Tor-M1 missile systems under a $700 million deal with Iran in 2005.

Sergei Chemezov, the head of state-owned Russian Technologies also disclosed that Venezuela's leader Hugo Chavez wanted to buy anti-aircraft systems, armoured personnel carriers, and new SU-35 fighter jets when they come into production in 2010.

US plans to site an anti-missile shield in eastern Europe to deter surprise attacks from Iran have outraged Russia, which believes the system in Poland and the Czech Republic is aimed at weakening its defences.

Strains between Nato and Russia after the war in Georgia have also contributed to a sharp deterioration in relations.

Deputy Prime Minister Igor Sechin, one of Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's closest allies, has visited Venezuela and Cuba this week. Kommersant said that Russia was forming "alliance relations" with the two anti-American regimes as a response to US involvement in former Soviet republics.

Mr Sechin said that "military-technological cooperation" between Russia and Venezuela was increasing, adding that the two sides were also in talks on oil and shipbuilding projects.

President Chavez is expected to visit Moscow next week. Two Russian long-range strategic nuclear bombers landed in the Venezuelan capital Caracas last week, the first time they had visited the Latin American state.

The TU-160 Blackjack supersonic bombers took off last night for the return journey to Russia after completing their patrol mission along the South American coast, air force spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Vladimir Drik said.

Condoleezza Rice, the US Secretary of State, voiced concern at Russian bomber flights close to American shores last month and warned Moscow that it was playing a "dangerous game".

Mr Sechin travelled to Nicaragua yesterday as part of Russia's efforts to revive its influence on America's doorstep in Latin America. Nicaragua was the only state to join Russia in recognising the independence of Georgia's breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, and President Daniel Ortega is also due to visit Moscow soon.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Re: Russia ratchets up US tensions with arms sales to Iran and Venezuela
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:37:05 PM »
Not that I would normally psot crap like this, I had to laugh.

Venezuela, has done more to help poor countries, than the so called SUPER POWER, ever has. That encludes POOR AMERICANS. ARABS has done more to help poor BLACK people in NEW Orleans than George Bush. I don't even know why Black people are fighting Arabs for American RED NECKS?.& have no rights

Some Brit responding to the article.

Russia reminds me of that fat kid in high school that has so little self confidence and gets easily bored so he goes and tries to pick a fight to reassure itself. Venezuela reminds me of that fat kids conspiracy theorist friend that always wants to talk big because his fat friend will have his back.

Some American guy responding to the same.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 01:41:09 PM »
Damn... kicking us in the teeth when any kind of retaliation would kill the economy.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »
This was the same crap that they sold Syria. The Israelis bombed the dog shit out of the site protected by it. They lit their active radars on the way out to send a message to the Syrians that they will do what they want, whenever they want. More Russian junk. Oh, why do u need an AA network to protect peaceful nuke plants?
L

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 05:06:43 PM »
Not that I would normally psot crap like this, I had to laugh.

Venezuela, has done more to help poor countries, than the so called SUPER POWER, ever has. That encludes POOR AMERICANS. ARABS has done more to help poor BLACK people in NEW Orleans than George Bush. I don't even know why Black people are fighting Arabs for American RED NECKS?.& have no rights

Some Brit responding to the article.

Russia reminds me of that fat kid in high school that has so little self confidence and gets easily bored so he goes and tries to pick a fight to reassure itself. Venezuela reminds me of that fat kids conspiracy theorist friend that always wants to talk big because his fat friend will have his back.

Some American guy responding to the same.

LOL And you are probably the fat kid. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 10:09:40 PM »
HH6, What on earth do you have against posting a sourced link from where you copied & pasted from?

Source please?
w

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:39:55 AM »
As much as I don't really like Iran's government or the control the fundamentalist have over it - it is nice to see someone give the great warmonger (US) the finger. If this prevents a war in the long run it's a good thing - unless of course the US has a brilliant success like it's had in Iraq ( ;D).

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:48:41 AM »
Oh and i'm switching from Bourbon to Vodka - nah only joking Vodka is flavorless shit.