Author Topic: Ironman - Contest is on January 25th, not in Feb in 2009  (Read 3339 times)

Bob Bonham

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Ironman - Contest is on January 25th, not in Feb in 2009
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:57:36 PM »

The pro ironman bodybuilding show and sixth annual Los Angeles Fitness Expo which will be held again at the Los Angeles Convention Center , on January 24-25, 2009.

It always has been just before the Arnold.

I talked to some of the guys at the AC show and they didn't know . A shortened off season for some of the guys if anyone tells them about this. Spread the word . this is a great event !!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Ironman show is early in 09 moved date
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:14:48 PM »
I just got off the phone with Arnold - he said his BBing show will be held March 6 thru 9th, 2009.

Will the Ironman get less guys like Phil Heath and Gustavo, who are now unwilling to peak, then wait 6 weeks to do it again?

Will another BBing show move in to fill the void of a show 2 weeks before the Arnold?  SanFran maybe?

Why would they move the show?  Seems very odd - they have such a great show because they are able to draw in the Arnold Classic guys looking to prep for the real show a bit later.

S_Samuel

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:18:58 PM »
I was gonna do that show but I thought it would be late Feb.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »
I just got off the phone with Arnold - he said his BBing show will be held March 6 thru 9th, 2009.

Will the Ironman get less guys like Phil Heath and Gustavo, who are now unwilling to peak, then wait 6 weeks to do it again?

Will another BBing show move in to fill the void of a show 2 weeks before the Arnold?  SanFran maybe?

Why would they move the show?  Seems very odd - they have such a great show because they are able to draw in the Arnold Classic guys looking to prep for the real show a bit later.

It's a bad move IMO

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:27:32 PM »
It's a bad move IMO

Interesting...

Hopefully we'll get some insight as to why they're doing this.  I can't imagine any discount on the hall would be worth losing a Phil heath-caliber name.   It's going to become just another small show now, instead of the Arnold Classic Warmup.  Those legenday pics of Wheeler 93 or Heath 2008... not anymore.  What top name will peak 6 weeks before Arnold for a shot at 10k?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:47:48 PM »
Interesting...

Hopefully we'll get some insight as to why they're doing this.  I can't imagine any discount on the hall would be worth losing a Phil heath-caliber name.   It's going to become just another small show now, instead of the Arnold Classic Warmup.  Those legenday pics of Wheeler 93 or Heath 2008... not anymore.  What top name will peak 6 weeks before Arnold for a shot at 10k?

I believe it was an availability thing, having more to do with the Expo...not the show.

Add in the fact that anyone coming off the OLympia, has only Oct/ Nov/ Dec as their off season, dieting through the holidays, and the 6 week spread to the ASC....the further apart shows are scheduled, the worse off for the athletes, promoters and federation

Luke Wood

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:12:54 AM »
I agree Bob. A very bad move. As it is the guys doing the Atlantic City show and Olympia only have a short offseason as it is. So now it makes it hard with almost no rest to start pre comp again. Also the Ironman was always a great show 2 weeks before the Arnold!! I do not agree with this but than again it may work out???

adipo8

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:37:58 AM »
Bodybuilders should be ready to compete. Stay in shape all year. Each show needs to builds it crowd and become more entertaining.

More shows more Athletes- The IRONMAN should be for the Newer Pros so they can get a chance to be seen with out being blurred by Big names and warm up super stars. I think if Bob would like to help - we can make this a Rookie Show - Someone coming out from the Nationals , The Usa Winners and the other National winners - competing with 2 and 3 year pros ( Who have not crack the TOP 6 of a show) - to see the newest star.

The Promotion and the Reward of a Possible $10,000 dollars instead of being left with bitter defeat with no pay!

Just redefine the show " ROOKIE SHOW DOWN " With an invite to the Arnold instead of qualifying for the O

Big Stakes for Unknown Names

Be Glad to Promote with you BOB !
Thoughts ? Comments? Opinions?

Seriously

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 04:30:19 AM »

That's what I'm saying, dawg. It's been held 2 weeks before The Arnold for years and NOW they wanna change the date?  ???

I don't get it...

larger_format

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 04:49:31 AM »
How about moving the date of the NPC Nationals so that it is not the weekend before THANKSGIVING, one of the worst travel times of the year ??

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 06:29:43 AM »
I am not in a position to promote but feel the basic concept is good based on your idea of getting newer , less known pros a show that would be separate from the Arnold but has a great tradition.
The big boys will be at the Arnold anyway.
Plus, new pros comming off the nationals  will be in good shape.

Bodybuilders should be ready to compete. Stay in shape all year. Each show needs to builds it crowd and become more entertaining.

More shows more Athletes- The IRONMAN should be for the Newer Pros so they can get a chance to be seen with out being blurred by Big names and warm up super stars. I think if Bob would like to help - we can make this a Rookie Show - Someone coming out from the Nationals , The Usa Winners and the other National winners - competing with 2 and 3 year pros ( Who have not crack the TOP 6 of a show) - to see the newest star.

The Promotion and the Reward of a Possible $10,000 dollars instead of being left with bitter defeat with no pay!

Just redefine the show " ROOKIE SHOW DOWN " With an invite to the Arnold instead of qualifying for the O

Seriously

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 07:47:26 AM »

Seriously

Works on paper....

Unfortunately, it doesn't work in reality...fans want the superstars.  My fear for the IM, is that none of the Olympia guys go, and none of the ASC guys go.  It's unrealistic to believe that guys can prepare for a show in this timeframe. Given a choice....they will pick the show with the bigger payout.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Ironman - Contest is on January 25th, not in Feb in 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 09:13:02 AM »

Scheduling conflict for the Ironman in 2009.  The Los Angeles Convention Center, I am pretty sure, was booked two weeks before the Arnold, and many vendors for the expo expressed the desire to have an earlier date. 

As for the pro bodybuilding show, it is a gamble.  Top bodybuilders will most likely stay with the Arnold Invitations, while others will get ready for this show because it is currently a TOP FIVE Mr. Olympia qualification.

As for 2010, I think the Pasadena Conv Hall, where it has been before last year's move to the Los Angeles Convention Center, might be back up from its two year construction renovation.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 09:35:39 AM »
Good call... make it the Rookie Classic.  Many rookies get the O qualification due to the momentum and recognition they have coming - I mean, no way Curry or Evan Centopani get overlooked in their rookie debuts - then don't make it back to the O again.

being a top FIVE qualifier, that's pretty big.  We can now have 30 athletes on the O stage.  Woo hoo!

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 09:47:55 AM »
Scheduling conflict for the Ironman in 2009.  The Los Angeles Convention Center, I am pretty sure, was booked two weeks before the Arnold, and many vendors for the expo expressed the desire to have an earlier date. 

it's sad that the pro bodybuilding contest has become just one of the many side shows of the fitness expo.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 10:18:58 AM »
Talked to Lonnie Teper about the move, here is what he wrote...

"There will not be a move back to Pasadena after this year. The LA Convention Center is larger, and is easily accessed from all directions. Regarding not getting the top people in the bodybuilding contest since it will now be six weeks out from the Arnold, that may be true. However, no matter how strong, or average, our line-ups have been through the 19 year history of the show, ticket sales have been bascially the same. And, this contest will give the up and coming pros a great shot at winning money and an Olympia qualification at the same time. John Balik didn't have a choice in this for 2009, you are right. But, it may end up being a blessing in disguise. We'll only know after the event is over."