Author Topic: Biden loses Obama the Catholic vote  (Read 724 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Biden loses Obama the Catholic vote
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:11:30 AM »
Telegraph UK.

More, as promised, on Senator Joe Biden (why should Sarah Palin get all the coverage?). Remember, you read it here first: on September 11 this blog reported a mounting backlash from Catholic bishops against Biden, Barack Obama's "Catholic" pro-abortion running mate. At that time I estimated eight bishops had come out to denounce Biden; the total is now 55. Beyond that, Biden is being trashed across every state of the Union by Catholic newspapers, TV and radio stations, and blogs. It is a tsunami of rejection.

Joe Biden has really put his foot in it with the Catholics

The story has now hit the secular media. Last Saturday Time magazine asked: "Does Biden Have a Catholic Problem?" By Wednesday the issue had moved onto the front page of the New York Times. Joe the Jinx has blown it, big time. Biden has only himself to blame: he started this war, with his notoriously undisciplined mouth. He knew the dangers. Last August, Archbishop Raymond Burke, former Archbishop of St Louis and now Prefect of the Apostolic Segnatura in Rome, said communion should be denied to pro-abortion politicians "until they have reformed their lives".

Archbishop Chaput of Denver had already announced Biden should not receive communion because of his pro-abortion views. Defiantly, Biden took communion in his home parish in Delaware in late August. On September 2 the Bishop of Scranton, Pennsylvania (a crucial swing state) banned him from communion in his diocese. That is effective excommunication. Then came the crucial provocation. On NBC's Meet the Press programme on September 7 Biden grossly misrepresented the Catholic Church's teaching on abortion and audaciously cited St Thomas Aquinas in his own cause.

That did it. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi had already done the same thing on the same programme, in her instance citing St Augustine. Even the torpid US bishops could not have false doctrine glibly broadcast by public figures, misleading their flock. So the counterattack described here last week began, culminating in a statement from the US Bishops' Conference. The bishops of Kansas City have also issued a pastoral letter on the subject. It is open season on Biden.

There are 47 million Catholic voters in the United States. One quarter of all registered voters are Catholics. At every presidential election in the past 30 years the Catholic vote has gone to the winning candidate, except for Al Gore in 2000. This year 41 per cent of Catholics are independents - up from 30 per cent in 2004. Psephologists claim practising Catholics were the decisive factor in the crucial swing states in 2004: in Ohio 65 per cent of Catholics voted for Bush, in Florida 66 per cent. They were drifting away in disillusionment from the Republicans and split 50-50, until Joe Biden worked his magic. This is electoral suicide by the Democrats.

L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Biden loses Obama the Catholic vote
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:12:47 AM »
Interesting if nothing else. The window to dump him has closed. 240 mentioned it last week and Obama might have gotten away with it, maybe, last week. Its to late now to suddenly get sick.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:40:56 AM »
Biden's irrelevant, until he pisses off a group.

And I still think that Hilary will be the pick if Obama's losing in the final week.  Obama's a wildcard - he's not thinking longterm viability like Gore and Kerry were.  I think every job has been a stepping stone from college to the presidency, whereas Gore, Kerry, Mccain, Biden are all lifetime public servants. 

I think Obama will be working for some World/Euro thinktank/bank in 4 years if he loses in 2008.  So, I don't think he's worried about breaking conventional wisdom or rules in the last month. 

If Biden announces health or family issues 2 weeks before the election, and hilary is put on the ticket, look out.  It doesn't matter what "heat' he takes for it - how many Obama voters are going to jump ship at that point?  Zero.  How many women and independents (18 million maybe) will see their saviour hilary arrive on the ticket and piss themselves with excitement?

It's all or nothing, and I don't think obama gives a damn about a window, or public perception.  IF the math guys tell him a biden ticket can't win, he'll dump biden.  Everything he's done so far in life has been about getting this job.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:54:32 AM »
Many Catholics were not going to vote for Obama anyways.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:33:37 AM »
Good grief.  Biden doesn't have a whole lot of common sense.  Basically just told his church "screw you."  Could you imagine this guy running the country?  Even Democrat voters have been smart enough not to put him at the top of the ticket.   

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »
I was dissapointed when Obama picked Biden as his nominee.  I felt that if he picked a more moderate reasonable democrat, it wouldn't have been so bad.
Not only should Hillary have been at the top of the ticket but Biden wasn't a good VP pick.  he is rash,  obnoxiously outspoken and has been on the wrong side of many issues.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:25:18 PM »
I actually thought he could have done worse than Biden, but if Biden keeps making dumb comments I might change my mind.