Author Topic: Palin Suggests Trooper Probe Tainted By ‘Obsessive Partisanship’  (Read 1175 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I don't blame her.  Does not sound like there are any legs to this thing. 

Palin Suggests Trooper Probe Tainted By ‘Obsessive Partisanship’
by FOXNews.com
Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sarah Palin, in a FOX News interview, defended herself against what she suggested was “obsessive partisanship” related to the escalating inquiry into the firing of her former public safety commissioner.

The investigation, which centers on whether the Alaska governor punished her public safety chief for refusing to fire a trooper who was going through a nasty divorce with her sister, comes at a potentially damaging time in the political calendar.

An Alaska Senate committee subpoenaed 13 people last week, including Palin’s husband Todd. But the Republican attorney general appointed by Sarah Palin has since said state employees would refuse to testify unless the full Senate or legislature compel them, threatening to drag on the probe past Election Day. An Alaska Democrat is overseeing the inquiry.

Palin, in an interview with FOX News’ Sean Hannity, said the firing of Walt Monegan in July had “nothing to do” with her former brother-in-law.

She said Monegan was “insubordinate” in some areas and that he “wasn’t willing” to help her in the state’s effort to rein in spending.

“I recognized that it was my responsibility, my obligation to make sure we had the right people in the right places at the right time in the cabinet to best serve Alaskans. So I asked him to transfer into another position. And he chose not to be transferred. So, he left the service,” Palin said. “That’s one issue. It had nothing to do with a former brother-in-law, a state trooper who happened to be married to one of my sisters until about three years ago.”

While Monegan says no one from the administration ever told him directly to fire the trooper, Mike Wooten, he says repeated contacts by the administration made it clear they wanted Wooten gone.

Palin, in her interview with FOX News, continued to criticize Wooten.

“This trooper tasered my nephew,” she said. “It’s all on the record. It’s all there. His threats against the first family, the threat against my dad. All that is in the record. And if the opposition … chooses to forget that side of the story, they’re not doing their job.”

Palin attempted to debunk several rumors about her tenure as mayor of Wasilla and personal history, as she complained about the “opposition researchers” that are reportedly in Alaska looking into Palin’s record. (Barack Obama’s campaign has denied sending any researchers.)

“You know, we know how this works and certainly they’re going to find a few of those who have those ruffled feathers up there and so be it,” Palin said.

But she said she was growing a “thick skin.”

On recent rumors that she wanted to ban books at the Wasilla library and that she supported a group that wants Alaska to secede, she said they were flat-out “false.”

Palin said she also found “appalling” the recent comment from the South Carolina Democratic chairwoman, who said Palin’s chief qualification is that she never had an abortion. The chairwoman has since apologized.

But Palin continued to claim that “I killed the Bridge to Nowhere,” even though the record on the much-criticized Alaska proposal is not so clear cut. Palin turned against the bridge project only after Congress had pulled money for it.

Meanwhile, Palin said her Democratic counterpart, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, is a “great debater,” but she seemed to question the value of his 35 years in Washington.

“Senator Biden has tremendous amount of experience. I think he was first elected when I was like in second grade,” she said. “He’s been in there a long, long, long time. So he’s got the experience. He probably has the sound bites. He has the rhetoric. He knows what’s expected of him. He is a great debater, also. So yes, it’s going to be quite a task in front of me.”

And regarding her criticism of Obama for being a community organizer, she said, “I certainly didn’t mean to hurt his feelings. Didn’t mean to offend any community organizers either.”

She said she was only responding to his criticism of small-town mayors like herself.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/18/palin-suggests-trooper-probe-tainted-by-obsessive-partisanship/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Palin Suggests Trooper Probe Tainted By ‘Obsessive Partisanship’
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 12:39:53 PM »
Governors should be able to re-open investigations any time they please, even if the officer in question has already been punished.

Additionally, there is no danger in selective enforcement or bias when the person being investigated - a second time - happens to the be "the man that wronged my sister".

Finally, President Bill Clinton was forced to testify in a Civil Suit, but the husband of a person running for office claims he doesn't have to.  Interesting.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:54:18 PM »
Palin ran as governor on a platform of transparency and reform. 

She originally said she dide nothing wrong and welcomed the investigation and would cooperate fully

This would be a non-story if she just followed through with her original commitment

If she did nothing wrong then she should have nothing to worry about

I wonder what she is trying to hide?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »
Palin ran as governor on a platform of transparency and reform. 

She originally said she dide nothing wrong and welcomed the investigation and would cooperate fully

This would be a non-story if she just followed through with her original commitment

If she did nothing wrong then she should have nothing to worry about

Good point.  She sat in that CNBC chair and said "Bring on the charges, I have nothing to hide".

now she's dodging subpoenas - and not only that - her hubby is too. 

She is covered.  Since she's running for office, she can postpone a statement until after election.  HE, however, cannot.  That's the beef here.  Alaska law says he has to testify, but he's refusing.

BB, I know you respect the law... surely you can't justify this guy dodging a supoena just because he feels like it, right?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 01:06:02 PM »
Not much to hide when you have an approval rating of over 70%

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »

I've read it has been over 80 and 90 percent at some points.  That's just off the charts. 

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 01:11:03 PM »
and approval ratings mean everything  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »
Yes.  Precisely what I said.   ::)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
the right approves of her because the left is attacking her. Once you get down to the nitty gritty, people realize she is shit.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »

If she has nothing to hide then why is she trying to avoid the investigation

As I'm sure you know her approval rating is irrelevent to the discussion

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 01:34:58 PM »
I wonder why so many of  "the left" in her state like her?  She must have done something right.  You would think people who are tired of the same old guard in D.C. would be happy to see someone from outside of beltway going to shake up Washington politics.  I think she will be good for the country.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »
I wonder why so many of  "the left" in her state like her?  She must have done something right.  You would think people who are tired of the same old guard in D.C. would be happy to see someone from outside of beltway going to shake up Washington politics.  I think she will be good for the country.  

Charlie Crist has a 73% approval rating in Florida.

That means 1/2 of FL Democrats support him.

Even though our economy is in the tank, tourism and construction are dead, and repos are sky-high.

People support their governor no matter the party nor economic conditions.  It's state pride.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »
the right approves of her because the left is attacking her. Once you get down to the nitty gritty, people realize she is shit.
When you have an approval rating in the 70-80's, you've crossed the political boundary lines.  Can't get that kind of a rating without the inclusion of those of the opposing view.  This says that she's so well received that even those who oppose her viewpoints find little fault with her. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 01:49:58 PM »

When you have an approval rating in the 70-80's, you've crossed the political boundary lines.  Can't get that kind of a rating without the inclusion of those of the opposing view.  This says that she's so well received that even those who oppose her viewpoints find little fault with her. 

If her approval rating is so high and so many people on the "left" like her........then how does  she claim the probe is tainted by "obsessive partisanship"

You can't have it both ways

The only conclusion can be that she has something to hide AND SHE KNOWS IT

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »
Charlie Crist has a 73% approval rating in Florida.

That means 1/2 of FL Democrats support him.

Even though our economy is in the tank, tourism and construction are dead, and repos are sky-high.

People support their governor no matter the party nor economic conditions.  It's state pride.

Hard times in state deflate Crist's approval ratings
For the first time in his 18 months in office, Gov. Charlie Crist's popularity is down, a new poll found.
Posted on Tue, Jun. 24, 2008reprint print email

BY MARY ELLEN KLAS
meklas@MiamiHerald.com

TALLAHASSEE -- Rising gas prices, the falling real estate market and deep state budget cuts have not only brought South Florida's economy to a crawl, they've deflated the once sky-high approval ratings of Gov. Charlie Crist, according to a new Miami Herald poll.

The governor is doing a fair to poor job of handling South Florida issues, according to 52 percent of the people surveyed by Zogby International in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. That compares with 43 percent who say he's doing a good to excellent job.

It's the first time in Crist's 18 months in office that more people give the Republican a negative rating than a positive one. The one area South Floridians criticize him most: property taxes.

''This is what happens to chief executives when the economy is down,'' said pollster John Zogby. ``He was doing well across the board and now the fact that a sitting Republican governor who was polling 54 percent is down to 43 percent is a sign the recession is maturing.''

Zogby's previous polls in South Florida had Crist's approval ratings at 54-36 percent in September and 54-40 percent in December in the three counties surveyed, making him one of the most popular Republican governors in the nation. In January, the governor blanketed the state with a high-profile push to pass Amendment 1 to cut property taxes and vowed that it would result in taxes ``dropping like a rock.''

Today, 59 percent of South Floridians say the governor's handling of property taxes is fair to poor while only 30 percent say it's been good to excellent. The poll surveyed 807 South Floridians and has a margin of error of 3.5 percentage points.

. . . .

http://www.miamiherald.com/458/story/580784.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
So, Palin has overwhelming bi-partisan support yet also claims that the probe is tainted by "obsessive partinsanship"

???

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »
So, Palin has overwhelming bi-partisan support yet also claims that the probe is tainted by "obsessive partinsanship"

???

Quite impossible.

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 05:09:07 PM »
Btw, why is BB dodging the question on whether her husband should be dodging the subpoena?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 05:15:44 PM »
Btw, why is BB dodging the question on whether her husband should be dodging the subpoena?

standard MO for BB

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 05:20:13 PM »
standard MO for BB
You left off The Coach from that list too.

Those two are possibly the biggest tools on this board.......besides Kamali and his multiple identities of course.  ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
What?  Who the heck are you?  lol . . .   What question?  What did I miss?   :D

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 08:23:54 PM »
What?  Who the heck are you?  lol . . .   What question?  What did I miss?   :D

All jokes aside...

Do you agree that Palin's husband should be dodging the subpoena?