Author Topic: New interview with Ronnie Coleman! Thinks Jay will win. Picks Wolf over Heath!  (Read 5366 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
FLEX: It's been a year since we've seen your emotional send off at the 2007 Olympia. What have you been up to?

Ronnie Coleman: Not a whole lot as far as how I normally do stuff. I've still been working out every day, eating the same way as if I'm getting ready for a show or something. Been doing a lot of traveling, a whole lot of traveling lately. Because number one I'm not getting ready for the show this year and now I got more time. I'm doing a lot of guest posings and signings. I was in Aruba last weekend. I've been places like Brazil, been to Chile, Canada, Germany, Serbia. I'm still staying real busy these days. So nothing's really changed, except the traveling. Because normally around this time of year I don't go anywhere. I stay at home and just eat and train and get ready for the show.

FLEX: I know man, I was there watching Smallville with you.

Coleman: (Laughs) Yeah. Yeah I'm still watching that too.

FLEX: Are you still training at home or are you back at Metroflex?

Coleman: Oh, Metroflex. I been training at Metroflex a lot lately. I trained at home all last year mostly. I only went to Metroflex maybe a couple of times. So I'm just trying to switch it up.

FLEX: What's your weight at right now?

Coleman: I normally keep my weight between 295 and 300. I always stay right around there. I try to keep it there on purpose. That's why I diet and eat and stuff like that.

FLEX: How's the body feeling? After competing for so long, are you feeling like you needed some time off in order to recover?

Coleman: Well (Laughs) ... to me I don't really need that. What a lot of people don't realize is training is my hobby, so what I'm doing is my hobby. It's never been like a distraction or something that I don't want to do. This is stuff I enjoy doing all the time, so I'm really not trying to get no break or nothing because I'm doing what I want to do.

FLEX: Is it a little weird for you now, not getting ready to compete at the Olympia?

Coleman: Not really. It's not weird because, number one, I'm still training like I normally do when I get ready for the Olympia, I'm still kind of dieting a little bit. Only thing that's kind of weird to me is the traveling, because normally I'm not traveling this time of year ... so it really doesn't feel like I'm not getting ready for the Olympia. Because when I am getting ready for the Olympia, I'm doing my normal every-day routine, stuff that I enjoy doing.

FLEX: So when you were winning Olympia after Olympia, you really paid no attention to the hype and the buildup leading up to the contest?

Coleman: I paid no attention to that. I've always been focused on what I was doing.

FLEX: Jay Cutler recently said that with no Ronnie Coleman, it feels like something is missing from this year's Olympia. Now that you've been away from the competitive scene, what does that rivarly mean to you?

Coleman: Well, it's kind of hard for me to say anything about a rivalry because I would be going against what I just told you a minute ago if I told you I was thinking about a rivalry. I was always just so involved with me and what I was doing that I never really gave any thought to anything else (laughs). Because I was always Number One, and to me that's what I was always gonna be. I never even thought about a rivalry. I was so involved in my preparation and getting ready and doing what I had to do to win that I never thought about anything else. I can see where Jay is coming from because if I was him I'd probably be thinking that way too. On my end of it, it was a little bit different.

FLEX: You had some great moments on the Olympia stage over the years. Are you able to pick a few that stand out above everything else?

Coleman: There ain't nothing gonna ever be able to overtake wining that first one. If you want to ever ask me about the greatest moment ever in my life, it's gonna always be wining my first Olympia. Ain't nothing else gonna even come close to it. I never even think about winning Number Two or Number Three. Even though all those shows were great, they just don't compare to excitement and joy and unexplanatory feeling of winning Number One.

FLEX: The top guys everyone keeps mentioning this year are Jay, Dexter, Phil and Dennis. Are those the clear-cut top four guys to you?

Ronnie: Yeah. I mean those are they guys that always placed in the top of every shows the entire year, even though Dennis Wolf is only entering the Olympia now. I'm not there and Victor's not there, so that automatically bumps Dennis Wolf up in the top three right there. Because those guys have always done the best and the reason why they've done the best is because they are the best. They're pretty much automatically gonna be up there in the top four unless something catastrophic happens and they screw up real bad on their diet or something.

FLEX: One matchup everyone is talking about is Dennis Wolf versus Phil Heath. When they stand next to each other, who do you see winning that matchup?

Coleman: Well, it's kind of hard for me to say because they are pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned. They're both real new in the sport. They both have great physiques. I guess it boils down to basically, since they both have pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses to me, I guess it boils down to whoever comes in in the best shape on that day. So it's really gonna be a toss up between those two as far as I'm concerned. I can't put Phil over Dennis right now and I can't put Dennis over Phil. They're both equally great to me.

FLEX: Is Jay the clear favorite going in?

Coleman: Yeah. There's really no comparison between Jay and the rest of the guys because Jay's already two-time Mr. Olympia, number one. Number two is he pretty much got the most size out of those guys and clearly got the experience and everything. I don't really think any of those guy match up against Jay. It should be Jay and everybody else.

FLEX: So you think Dexter is going to be closer to placing third or fourth than he is to beating Jay?

Ronnie: Oh yeah, yeah yeah. Dexter is a great bodybuilder and all that but Jay has the size over Dexter. I mean, when you think of Mr. Olympia, you think of something grand, something big, something huge. That's pretty much what Jay represents.

FLEX: Let's take a look at one more group of guys. Out of Toney Freeman, Melvin Anthony, Silvio Samuel and Gustavo Badell, which two are the most likely to make the final posedown?

Ronnie: When you talk about bodybuilding, when you talk about Mr. Olympia, the first thing that comes to my mind is size. I think about the biggest guy on that day in the best condition. Because you got those four guys and all of them are pretty much good. Ok, I'm gonna call out Toney Freeman and Melvin Anthony first because they're the biggest two. But as we all know if you're not in shape and you don't have the right definition and the right form on that day, all that size ain't gonna do you no good. Silvio is probably one of the greatest bodybuilders of this time but he just don't have everything he needs to be in the top five. He's lacking size. He's got great symmetry, separation, cuts ... he got everything. He just don't have the size he needs. It's gonna be hard. It's gonna be a tossup.

FLEX: I know you said you can't really call it, that it's going to be a tossup this year. But if you had to pick one or the other: Who wins an Olympia first - Phil or Dennis?

Ronnie: Out of those two guys? Man, that's kind of hard to say. Dennis is tall and I think he's probably gonna be putting on more size. He still is really young. I'd probably have to say ... man it's a hard one. I'm probably gonna have to say ... man ... I guess I go with Dennis because he's taller. And he's still real young, so he has a chance to put on a lot more size. As does Phil, but I have to give the edge to Dennis because he's just a little bit taller. The taller you are and the more size you can carry, that gives you that little edge over the shorter guy.

FLEX: OK. This last question can just be a true or false, you don't have to give me any more than that if you don't want to. True or false: Ronnie Coleman will compete in an IFBB contest in 2009.

Ronnie: Ummmm ... I'll say true.

FLEX: Do you want to elaborate on that and tell us when?

Ronnie: I would just leave it as true right now. Because I don't have no idea myself.
Z

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: New interview with Ronnie Coleman!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 03:55:12 AM »
Thanks for posting that Bluto.

Good bodybuilding related article. No political shit here  8)

Ronnie back in 2009  :o
No doubt about it...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 03:57:06 AM »
Thanks for posting that Bluto.

Good bodybuilding related article. No political shit here  8)

Ronnie back in 2009  :o

Thanks. yes that's some great news for the bodybuilding fans of the board!!
Z

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 04:00:05 AM »
Thanks. yes that's some great news for the bodybuilding fans of the board!!

exciting news for sure.

Ronnie favours Wolf over Heath  8)

No doubt about it...

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Great read. Thanks.

io856

Bluto should be a moderator of the G & O keep it bodybuilding related

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Yes Bluto would be a good mod.

Bluto, myself and some other dedicaied posters are commited to keeping the G&O bb'ing talk only. No more political shit.
No doubt about it...

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
Yes Bluto gives good head.

Bluto, myself and some other dedicated posers are commited to keeping the G&O homo talk only. No more political shit.

LOL

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
LOL

your time here will soon be coming to an end...
No doubt about it...

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
your time here will soon be coming to an end...

::)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
No doubt about it...

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Why will he compete again??.. 8 times Mr. Olympia must not compete again at any other contest.. If only he can do the Olympia in 2009 and WIN it's fine, other than that it's better for him to stay away..

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Thanks guys
Z

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V

m8

• Getbig V
Re: New interview with Ronnie Coleman! Thinks Jay will win. Picks Wolf over Heat
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 05:54:19 AM »
I guess I go with Dennis because he's taller. And he's still real young, so he has a chance to put on a lot more size. As does Phil, but I have to give the edge to Dennis because he's just a little bit taller. The taller you are and the more size you can carry, that gives you that little edge over the shorter guy.

Finally he sees the light.

There ain't nothing gonna ever be able to overtake wining that first one.

Can I get a translation?  ;D

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Thanks guys

As if you did the interview.  ::)

lol, just kidding.  ;D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
I thought about it, but Flex beat me to it  :D
Z

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
hmm very interesting
thanks for posting
w

Mr. Cortisol

• Getbig IV
  • Twink, Twink, little star.
ronnie is brilliant.
Addicted to the Steal

m8

• Getbig V
Re: New interview with Ronnie Coleman! Thinks Jay will win. Picks Wolf over Heat
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 08:42:04 AM »
ronnie is brilliant.

His intelligence is sans égal.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Ronnie says what i've said all along about Jay right here.

Coleman: Yeah. There's really no comparison between Jay and the rest of the guys because Jay's already two-time Mr. Olympia, number one. Number two is he pretty much got the most size out of those guys and clearly got the experience and everything. I don't really think any of those guy match up against Jay. It should be Jay and everybody else.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
IF RONNIE POSTED HERE REGULARLY THIS SITE WOULD PROBABLY CRASH.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »
Finally he sees the light.

Can I get a translation?  ;D

LOL.....only Ronnie can explains his Jargons to us, M8

suckmymuscle

FLEX: It's been a year since we've seen your emotional send off at the 2007 Olympia. What have you been up to?

Ronnie Coleman: Not a whole lot as far as how I normally do stuff. I've still been working out every day, eating the same way as if I'm getting ready for a show or something. Been doing a lot of traveling, a whole lot of traveling lately. Because number one I'm not getting ready for the show this year and now I got more time. I'm doing a lot of guest posings and signings. I was in Aruba last weekend. I've been places like Brazil, been to Chile, Canada, Germany, Serbia. I'm still staying real busy these days. So nothing's really changed, except the traveling. Because normally around this time of year I don't go anywhere. I stay at home and just eat and train and get ready for the show.

FLEX: I know man, I was there watching Smallville with you.

Coleman: (Laughs) Yeah. Yeah I'm still watching that too.

FLEX: Are you still training at home or are you back at Metroflex?

Coleman: Oh, Metroflex. I been training at Metroflex a lot lately. I trained at home all last year mostly. I only went to Metroflex maybe a couple of times. So I'm just trying to switch it up.

FLEX: What's your weight at right now?

Coleman: I normally keep my weight between 295 and 300. I always stay right around there. I try to keep it there on purpose. That's why I diet and eat and stuff like that.

FLEX: How's the body feeling? After competing for so long, are you feeling like you needed some time off in order to recover?

Coleman: Well (Laughs) ... to me I don't really need that. What a lot of people don't realize is training is my hobby, so what I'm doing is my hobby. It's never been like a distraction or something that I don't want to do. This is stuff I enjoy doing all the time, so I'm really not trying to get no break or nothing because I'm doing what I want to do.

FLEX: Is it a little weird for you now, not getting ready to compete at the Olympia?

Coleman: Not really. It's not weird because, number one, I'm still training like I normally do when I get ready for the Olympia, I'm still kind of dieting a little bit. Only thing that's kind of weird to me is the traveling, because normally I'm not traveling this time of year ... so it really doesn't feel like I'm not getting ready for the Olympia. Because when I am getting ready for the Olympia, I'm doing my normal every-day routine, stuff that I enjoy doing.

FLEX: So when you were winning Olympia after Olympia, you really paid no attention to the hype and the buildup leading up to the contest?

Coleman: I paid no attention to that. I've always been focused on what I was doing.

FLEX: Jay Cutler recently said that with no Ronnie Coleman, it feels like something is missing from this year's Olympia. Now that you've been away from the competitive scene, what does that rivarly mean to you?

Coleman: Well, it's kind of hard for me to say anything about a rivalry because I would be going against what I just told you a minute ago if I told you I was thinking about a rivalry. I was always just so involved with me and what I was doing that I never really gave any thought to anything else (laughs). Because I was always Number One, and to me that's what I was always gonna be. I never even thought about a rivalry. I was so involved in my preparation and getting ready and doing what I had to do to win that I never thought about anything else. I can see where Jay is coming from because if I was him I'd probably be thinking that way too. On my end of it, it was a little bit different.

FLEX: You had some great moments on the Olympia stage over the years. Are you able to pick a few that stand out above everything else?

Coleman: There ain't nothing gonna ever be able to overtake wining that first one. If you want to ever ask me about the greatest moment ever in my life, it's gonna always be wining my first Olympia. Ain't nothing else gonna even come close to it. I never even think about winning Number Two or Number Three. Even though all those shows were great, they just don't compare to excitement and joy and unexplanatory feeling of winning Number One.

FLEX: The top guys everyone keeps mentioning this year are Jay, Dexter, Phil and Dennis. Are those the clear-cut top four guys to you?

Ronnie: Yeah. I mean those are they guys that always placed in the top of every shows the entire year, even though Dennis Wolf is only entering the Olympia now. I'm not there and Victor's not there, so that automatically bumps Dennis Wolf up in the top three right there. Because those guys have always done the best and the reason why they've done the best is because they are the best. They're pretty much automatically gonna be up there in the top four unless something catastrophic happens and they screw up real bad on their diet or something.

FLEX: One matchup everyone is talking about is Dennis Wolf versus Phil Heath. When they stand next to each other, who do you see winning that matchup?

Coleman: Well, it's kind of hard for me to say because they are pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned. They're both real new in the sport. They both have great physiques. I guess it boils down to basically, since they both have pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses to me, I guess it boils down to whoever comes in in the best shape on that day. So it's really gonna be a toss up between those two as far as I'm concerned. I can't put Phil over Dennis right now and I can't put Dennis over Phil. They're both equally great to me.

FLEX: Is Jay the clear favorite going in?

FLEX: So you think Dexter is going to be closer to placing third or fourth than he is to beating Jay?

Ronnie: Oh yeah, yeah yeah. Dexter is a great bodybuilder and all that but Jay has the size over Dexter. I mean, when you think of Mr. Olympia, you think of something grand, something big, something huge. That's pretty much what Jay represents.

FLEX: Let's take a look at one more group of guys. Out of Toney Freeman, Melvin Anthony, Silvio Samuel and Gustavo Badell, which two are the most likely to make the final posedown?

Ronnie: When you talk about bodybuilding, when you talk about Mr. Olympia, the first thing that comes to my mind is size. I think about the biggest guy on that day in the best condition. Because you got those four guys and all of them are pretty much good. Ok, I'm gonna call out Toney Freeman and Melvin Anthony first because they're the biggest two. But as we all know if you're not in shape and you don't have the right definition and the right form on that day, all that size ain't gonna do you no good. Silvio is probably one of the greatest bodybuilders of this time but he just don't have everything he needs to be in the top five. He's lacking size. He's got great symmetry, separation, cuts ... he got everything. He just don't have the size he needs. It's gonna be hard. It's gonna be a tossup.

FLEX: I know you said you can't really call it, that it's going to be a tossup this year. But if you had to pick one or the other: Who wins an Olympia first - Phil or Dennis?

Ronnie: Out of those two guys? Man, that's kind of hard to say. Dennis is tall and I think he's probably gonna be putting on more size. He still is really young. I'd probably have to say ... man it's a hard one. I'm probably gonna have to say ... man ... I guess I go with Dennis because he's taller. And he's still real young, so he has a chance to put on a lot more size. As does Phil, but I have to give the edge to Dennis because he's just a little bit taller. The taller you are and the more size you can carry, that gives you that little edge over the shorter guy.

FLEX: OK. This last question can just be a true or false, you don't have to give me any more than that if you don't want to. True or false: Ronnie Coleman will compete in an IFBB contest in 2009.

Ronnie: Ummmm ... I'll say true.

FLEX: Do you want to elaborate on that and tell us when?

Ronnie: I would just leave it as true right now. Because I don't have no idea myself.

Yeah, winning the Olympia the first time must have been definitely the highlight of his life - as for all other Mr.Olympias. And Ronnie is right that the judges favor size over symmetry and polishment at the Olympia. What the judges really want from a Mr.Olympia is for him to have brutal size without any serious bodypart lacking. This is the reason why Dillet and Nasser were never Mr.Olympia. I have stated several times that Mr.Olympia is the biggest guy with the fewer flaws. To find Mr.Olympia, you  look at the big guys - those who are 250+ lbs ripped - and find the one with the least flaws, and this guy is Mr.Olympia. All Mr.Olympia have flaws. Haney had poor quads and triceps. Ronnie had poor calves, high lats and short torso. Dorian had shitty biceps and wide hips. However, all 3 were unquestionably the biggest guys from their eras with the least flaws.

SUCKMYMUSCLE