Author Topic: Congress/Senate  (Read 3151 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Congress/Senate
« on: September 25, 2008, 11:33:38 AM »
What's your opinion of the current Congress and Senate? 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: Congress/Senate
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:50:24 AM »
I'd take the House and Senate from President Clinton's day over this one headed by Pelosi and Reid. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:56:54 AM »
I'd take the House and Senate from President Clinton's day over this one headed by Pelosi and Reid. 

I agree, And I'd take Clinton over BUSH.  At least we'd have a balanced budget and plenty adulterous of sex in the white house.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 08:58:31 AM »
At least we'd have a balanced budget and plenty adulterous of sex in the white house.
Hahahaa

See?  You wrong for that, man! 

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:00:12 AM »
They suck.
17% approval rating and they say Bush is the incompetant one.   ::) 

Thank God Obama is going to bring us all together.

We need Newt back!!
W

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:08:25 AM »
They suck.
17% approval rating and they say Bush is the incompetant one.   ::) 

Thank God Obama is going to bring us all together.

We need Newt back!!

It actually goes hand in hand.   I think people blame both.  Otherwise BUSH's approval rating would be something other than an all time  record low. 

When both the congress and the presidency share a low rating it's a signal form the people of America that they are fed up with our entire elected government. 

And if BUSH wasn't such a bad president, Obama wouldn't even exist.   So you can thank your boy for what looks like an Obama-nation in January 2009.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »

And if BUSH wasn't such a bad president, Obama wouldn't even exist.   So you can thank your boy for what looks like an Obama-nation in January 2009.

Ohhh....dear lord.  Just when you think all has been said...

Bush has been blamed for a lot of things. A LOT of things.  But this may be the worst. 

~Now he's the reason Obama "exist."   

I think I'm gonna faint.
W

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 11:40:29 AM »
They suck.  They rode into office on anti-war campaign and did nothing in their two years. 

Bush responsible for Obama?  Hardly.  The lack of good candidates, sorry state of the Democrat party, and a convention speech are responsible for Obama. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »
Ohhh....dear lord.  Just when you think all has been said...

Bush has been blamed for a lot of things. A LOT of things.  But this may be the worst. 

~Now he's the reason Obama "exist."   

I think I'm gonna faint.

Com on dude.

Do you really think Obama would stand a chance in any other election if it wasn't for BUSH pathetic presidency?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »
They suck.  They rode into office on anti-war campaign and did nothing in their two years. 

Bush responsible for Obama?  Hardly.  The lack of good candidates, sorry state of the Democrat party, and a convention speech are responsible for Obama. 

My point is, had BUSH's presidency been successful (look at his approval rating) Obama's message of "change" wouldn't be attractive.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 12:33:46 PM »
Do you really think Obama would stand a chance in any other election if it wasn't for BUSH pathetic presidency?
Don't forget how much praise and adoration Barack Obama got after making his speech in 2004 at the DNC.  I remember some pundits from both sides of the aisle saying that both George Bush and John Kerry were "lucky Obama was not running for president".  That was 2004.  So, if it's not now, it would have definitely been 2012 or 2016.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »
My point is, had BUSH's presidency been successful (look at his approval rating) Obama's message of "change" wouldn't be attractive.

Possibly, but his "change" message is a farce.  Also, even if Bush had a very high approval rating, Obama would probably still be the nominee.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 12:37:34 PM »
Don't forget how much praise and adoration Barack Obama got after making his speech in 2004 at the DNC.  I remember some pundits from both sides of the aisle saying that both George Bush and John Kerry were "lucky Obama was not running for president".  That was 2004.  So, if it's not now, it would have definitely been 2012 or 2016.  

As i understood it, that was mostly based on Obama's charisma.  When the details of his views and what Obama is all about is revealed it takes what has happened the last 8 years to get him elected.  That's just my take on it.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 12:39:28 PM »
Possibly, but his "change" message is a farce.  Also, even if Bush had a very high approval rating, Obama would probably still be the nominee.   

Obama might be the nominee, but he wouldn't stand a chance in the general election in this country.

Also, his message of change doesn't have to have substance to be attractive.   You know how much better food tastes when you are hungry.   ;D

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 12:54:25 PM »
As i understood it, that was mostly based on Obama's charisma.    
This is the basket that everyone is putting their eggs into...Obama's charisma. 

You know, Bill Clinton is arguably the most charismatic president we've ever had.  The difference between Obama and Clinton is that Pres. Clinton would actually reach across the aisle.  I don't see Barack Obama doing this given his voting record in both the Illinois senate and now in Washington.  BIG DIFFERENCE there, and it's enough for me to understand that charisma alone is not enough to run a country. 

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 01:05:51 PM »
What's your opinion of the current Congress and Senate? 

;D

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 01:31:49 PM »
I agree, And I'd take Clinton over BUSH.  At least we'd have a balanced budget and plenty adulterous of sex in the white house.

It was NOT a balanced budget.  Social Security surpluses were spent as they always are.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 01:42:16 PM »
This is the basket that everyone is putting their eggs into...Obama's charisma. 

You know, Bill Clinton is arguably the most charismatic president we've ever had.  The difference between Obama and Clinton is that Pres. Clinton would actually reach across the aisle.  I don't see Barack Obama doing this given his voting record in both the Illinois senate and now in Washington.  BIG DIFFERENCE there, and it's enough for me to understand that charisma alone is not enough to run a country. 

Me either.   

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 01:49:08 PM »
What's farcical about his message of change?

And don't say "obama even said his ideas are old..." b/c that's sophistry.

Let's see:

Iraq:  He wants out--that's a change.

Taxes:  He wants a modest tax increase for those earning over $250k/year.  That's a change

Corporations:  He wants to end tax breaks for corporations shipping out US jobs.  That's a change

Health Care:  He wants UHC.  That's a change.

You get the idea.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 01:53:08 PM »
It was NOT a balanced budget.  Social Security surpluses were spent as they always are.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/during_the_clinton_administration_was_the_federal.html

February 3, 2008
Updated: February 11, 2008
Q:

During the Clinton administration was the federal budget balanced? Was the federal deficit erased?
A:

Yes to both questions, whether you count Social Security or not.
This chart, based on historical figures from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, shows the total deficit or surplus for each fiscal year from 1990 through 2006. Keep in mind that fiscal years begin Oct. 1, so the first year that can be counted as a Clinton year is fiscal 1994. The appropriations bills for fiscal years 1990 through 1993 were signed by Bill Clinton's predecessor, George H.W. Bush. Fiscal 2002 is the first for which President George W. Bush signed the appropriations bills, and the first to show the effect of his tax cuts.

The Clinton years showed the effects of a large tax increase that Clinton pushed through in his first year, and that Republicans incorrectly claim is the "largest tax increase in history." It fell almost exclusively on upper-income taxpayers. Clinton's fiscal 1994 budget also contained some spending restraints. An equally if not more powerful influence was the booming economy and huge gains in the stock markets, the so-called dot-com bubble, which brought in hundreds of millions in unanticipated tax revenue from taxes on capital gains and rising salaries.

Clinton's large budget surpluses also owe much to the Social Security tax on payrolls. Social Security taxes now bring in more than the cost of current benefits, and the "Social Security surplus" makes the total deficit or surplus figures look better than they would if Social Security wasn't counted. But even if we remove Social Security from the equation, there was a surplus of $1.9 billion in fiscal 1999 and $86.4 billion in fiscal 2000. So any way you count it, the federal budget was balanced and the deficit was erased, if only for a while.

Update, Feb. 11: Some readers wrote to us saying we should have made clear the difference between the federal deficit and the federal debt. A deficit occurs when the government takes in less money than it spends in a given year. The debt is the total amount the government owes at any given time. So the debt goes up in any given year by the amount of the deficit, or it decreases by the amount of any surplus. The debt the government owes to the public decreased for a while under Clinton, but the debt was by no means erased.

Other readers have noted a USA Today story stating that, under an alternative type of accounting, the final four years of the Clinton administration taken together would have shown a deficit. This is based on an annual document called the "Financial Report of the U.S. Government," which reports what the governments books would look like if kept on an accrual basis like those of most corporations, rather than the cash basis that the government has always used. The principal difference is that under accrual accounting the government would book immediately the costs of promises made to pay future benefits to government workers and Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries. But even under accrual accounting, the annual reports showed surpluses of $69.2 billion in fiscal 1998,  $76.9 billion in fiscal 1999, and $46 billion for fiscal year 2000.  So even if the government had been using that form of accounting the deficit would have been erased for those three years.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 02:32:37 PM »
What's farcical about his message of change?

And don't say "obama even said his ideas are old..." b/c that's sophistry.

Let's see:

Iraq:  He wants out--that's a change.

Taxes:  He wants a modest tax increase for those earning over $250k/year.  That's a change

Corporations:  He wants to end tax breaks for corporations shipping out US jobs.  That's a change

Health Care:  He wants UHC.  That's a change.

You get the idea.

But he undermined all of that by going out and select Joe Biden (nearly 90 years in the Senate). 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 03:14:49 PM »
Obama might be the nominee, but he wouldn't stand a chance in the general election in this country.

Also, his message of change doesn't have to have substance to be attractive.   You know how much better food tastes when you are hungry.   ;D

Yeah.  I agree.