Author Topic: How McCain helped the bailout plan  (Read 591 times)

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
How McCain helped the bailout plan
« on: September 26, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »
Good thing he returned to washington...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/25/at-white-house-mccain-pla_n_129438.html
Inside an intense White House meeting over the financial crisis on Thursday, where nearly every key player came to an agreement on the outlines of the bailout package, Sen. John McCain stuck out. The Republican candidate, according to sources with direct knowledge, sat quiet through most of the meeting, never offered specifics, and spoke only at the end to raise doubts about the rough compromise that the White House and congressional leaders were nearing.

McCain's reluctance to jump on board the bailout agreement could throw the entire week-long negotiation into a tailspin. Sen. Chris Dodd, after leaving the White House, suggested on CNN that the tenuous process could be derailed by what he viewed as McCain's political motives.

"What happened here, basically, if you want an honest appraisal of the thing, we have been spending a lot of time and I am tired. I have spent almost seven straight days at this in trying to come out with a workout plan for our economy a rescue plan," said Dodd. "What this looked like to me was a rescue plan for John McCain for two hours and took us away from the work we are trying to do today. Serious people trying to do serious work to come up with an answer."

According to the source with knowledge of the White House gathering -- which featured both presidential candidates, congressional leaders and the President -- virtually ever key figure in the room, save McCain and GOP Sen. Richard Shelby, were in agreement over a revised version of Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson's plan.

Towards the end, McCain finally spoke up, mentioning a counter-proposal that had been offered by some conservative House Republicans, which would suspend the capital gains tax for two years and provide tax incentives to encourage firms that buy up bad debt. McCain did not discuss specifics of the plan, though, and was non-committal about supporting it.

Paulson, however, argued directly against the conservative proposal. "He said that he did not think it would work," according to the source. At another point in the meeting, President Bush chimed in, "If money isn't loosened, this sucker could go down" -- and by sucker he meant economy.

ABC News reported that, following the meeting, Paulson "walked into the room where Democrats were caucusing...at the White House and pleaded with them 'please don't blow this up.'" But this story isn't incomplete, according to sources.

Democrats stayed talking in the Roosevelt room and Paulson approached them. After his comment, Speaker Pelosi and Rep. Barney Frank shot back that the real problem was with House Republicans. Paulson replied, "I know, I know," as he got down on one knee to lighten the mood. Pelosi joked back, "I didn't know you were a Catholic."

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: How McCain helped the bailout plan
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 09:25:54 AM »
McCain

November 2005:  "I'm going to be honest; I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated."

December 2007:   "The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should."

Yeah,  he's a BIG help.   ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 09:44:42 AM »
He sat at the table quietly the whole time.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:52:39 AM »
Four more years! Four more years!
S

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:58:47 AM »
Is it necessarily a good thing? This whole bail out is shaping up to be a disaster, and things might be better off if it falls apart.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:01:10 AM »
Is it necessarily a good thing? This whole bail out is shaping up to be a disaster, and things might be better off if it falls apart.

I donno.

Not eco savy

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »
I donno.

Not eco savy

Hi Senator McCain.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »
Hi Senator McCain.

I say what ever i need to say to get your vote.  But I've already sold my soul to BUSH so don't ask for that.

All i ever wanted to be was president and i don;t care what i have to do to get it.  Even if it's not really my presidency.