Author Topic: Russia and Venzuela getting into bed together....  (Read 2100 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Russia and Venzuela getting into bed together....
« on: September 27, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/27/world/americas/27chavez.html?_r=1&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Mr. Chávez , who is on his second visit to Russia in two months, met with Prime Minister Vladimir V. Putin on Thursday, and on Friday traveled to the southern city of Orenburg near the border with Kazakhstan to meet with President Dmitri A. Medvedev.

A Kremlin statement released Thursday night said Mr. Putin and Mr. Chávez had spoken on enhancing economic cooperation and trade in commercial goods as well as military technologies.

The $1 billion loan will help finance programs related to military-technical cooperation, the statement said. The Kremlin spokesman, who spoke anonymously under normal diplomatic ground rules, would not elaborate on the details of the deal.

Between 2005 and 2007 Venezuela has signed 12 contracts for weapons purchases from Russia for a total of more than $4.4 billion, the Kremlin statement said.

The move is the latest gesture of military friendship between Russia and Venezuela, two counties that have increasingly positioned themselves as mavericks vis-à-vis the West. The Kremlin says its economic and political stability have allowed it to broaden the scope of its military and economic cooperation beyond what it calls its traditional sphere of influence.

Moscow is also frustrated with what it considers aggressive military posturing from the West, particularly the United States. Washington’s plans to deploy elements of a missile defense system in Poland and the Czech Republic, as well as its support of NATO membership for Georgia and Ukraine, have set Russia on edge.

In turn, Russia has sought to expand its military footprint in recent years, inching closer and closer to American shores. Russian bombers have flown sorties close to Alaska and its naval vessels have been pushing deeper into the Atlantic.

Latin America, and Venezuela in particular, has become has become a major theater for this expansion.

Earlier this month a pair of Russian Tu-160 long-range bombers capable of carrying nuclear weapons received a warm welcome when they landed in Venezuela. Russia has also dispatched a squadron from its North Sea Fleet to the Caribbean to take part in joint naval exercises with the Venezuelan Navy sometime in November.

“Latin America, of course, is becoming an obvious link in the chain making up a multipolar world,” Mr. Putin said during his meeting with Mr. Chávez. “We will allocate more and more attention to this vector of our economics and foreign policy.”

Russia has already delivered Sukhoi Su-30 fighters, Mi-17 transport helicopters, and thousands of Kalashnikov assault rifles to Venezuela. There are also plans to build a factory in the country that will manufacture these weapons under license.

Ties between the two countries appear to have been strengthened following Russia’s five-day war with Georgia last month, which caused relations between Moscow and the West to plummet to their lowest point since the Cold War.

At his meeting with Mr. Medvedev on Friday, Mr. Chávez expressed “firm support” for Russia’s unilateral recognition of independence for Abkhazia and South Ossetia, two Georgian separatist enclaves, Interfax reported. Only Nicaragua has officially followed Moscow’s recognition, which prompted broad international criticism.

Mr. Chávez’s remarks fell short of official recognition of the republics, despite speculation that he would use his visit to offer it
I hate the State.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
Re: Russia and Venzuela getting into bed together....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:38:38 PM »
Russia will need to be dealt with by force, Obama is a pussy and incapable of defending this nation with such serious threats from the CCCP.

Voting "present" when faced with real life and death issues will only destroy this great nation.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 04:21:55 PM »
Russia will need to be dealt with by force, Obama is a pussy and incapable of defending this nation with such serious threats from the CCCP.

Voting "present" when faced with real life and death issues will only destroy this great nation.
you want us to go to war with russia ::)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 05:52:34 PM »

A conflict with Russia would hasten the fall of the USA.
I hate the State.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »

"Want"?  No.

But this country should begin to prepare for it.  War should ALWAYS BE AN OPTION.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 10:56:26 PM »
"Want"?  No.

But this country should begin to prepare for it.  War should ALWAYS BE AN OPTION.

There are those however that do NOT believe it should be the ONLY option or the defacto Go-To Solution.
w

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 10:59:28 PM »
There are those however that do NOT believe it should be the ONLY option or the defacto Go-To Solution.

I would be one of them. 

But I caution with readiness not hope.

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 11:20:50 PM »
Even though it was posted by one of you liberal whackos, I liked what Colin Powell said about Russia. Think about it. they spend less percentage of their GDP than we do on military and our GDP is 11 times greater. They really arent a direct threat. THey are just flexing their muscle and bruised ego from the last 16 years.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 11:27:02 PM »
Even though it was posted by one of you liberal whackos, I liked what Colin Powell said about Russia. Think about it. they spend less percentage of their GDP than we do on military and our GDP is 11 times greater. They really arent a direct threat. THey are just flexing their muscle and bruised ego from the last 16 years.

I agree but I wouldn't take the CCCP lightly.  We must respond by helping Georgia, Poland, and other countries with nuclear capabilities.  We must also completely destroy Venezuela and their dictator if nuclear talks continue with the Soviet Union.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 11:36:43 PM »
So TerminalPower why don't you go fight the Russians than you big pussy.  Instead of hiding behind the computer and talking big go out there..........join up and go kick some Ruskie ass you fucking genius!

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »
We haven't learned our lesson yet about meddling in the affairs of other countries...  ::)
S

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 11:41:03 PM »

Are you fucking stupid? Why are you rooting for WWIII?

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 11:44:11 PM »

Look at some of his other posts here on the Political Board.  Fairly certain "Terminal Power" has a screw loose.
S

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 11:51:09 PM »
during the primaries I took a pole about which repub canidate I was most like. I got Ron Paul. I really like a lot of what he was saying. The only problem with him is I think he is too much an isolationist. The world is a lot smaller than it used to be and we cant afford to hide within our borders as much as it is tempting to do so.

dkf360

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 11:55:02 PM »
Look at some of his other posts here on the Political Board.  Fairly certain "Terminal Power" has a screw loose.
I agree, but this statement carries the most serious consequence, that it's not even considered funny.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 12:01:29 AM »
during the primaries I took a pole about which repub canidate I was most like. I got Ron Paul. I really like a lot of what he was saying. The only problem with him is I think he is too much an isolationist. The world is a lot smaller than it used to be and we cant afford to hide within our borders as much as it is tempting to do so.

Ron Paul isn't an isolationist.

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2006/tst121806.htm  

S

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 12:07:28 AM »

listen to this.
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=191672.0

eerie

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 04:46:24 AM »
The world is a lot smaller than it used to be and we cant afford to hide within our borders as much as it is tempting to do so.

America's world has gotten a lot smaller, ...and from what I hear, you can't afford much of anything these days.  :D
w

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 05:20:14 AM »

America's world has gotten a lot smaller, ...and from what I hear, you can't afford much of anything these days.  :D

Canada sucks too; I have met so many Canadians who are equally stupid and ignorant as Americans, if not more so.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 05:21:34 AM »
Canada sucks too; I have met so many Canadians who are equally stupid and ignorant as Americans, if not more so.

Apart from you Judy because of your: 160 points
I hate the State.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 06:03:59 AM »

And how exactly do we pay for this military campaign?  ::)

Um, China, can we borrow another gazillion dollars to fight Russia?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 08:39:35 AM »
I have met so many Canadians who are equally stupid and ignorant as Americans.

How else could one possibly explain Stephen Harper?

ps: Please do try to stay on point. The poster was discussing America's shrinking world. I simply agreed with him.
w

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 09:57:38 AM »
We haven't learned our lesson yet about meddling in the affairs of other countries...  ::)

We said this prior 9/11 and look where it got us.

USS Cole

Kobar(sp) Towers

2 embassies in Africa

WTC in 1994

Numerous Hijackings

The problem with too many people is they think if we just stop meddling in other countries affairs they will be very kind and loving and leave the USA alone.  Those people are not not students of history or of common sense.

The real problem lies with not understanding the choices, throughout Life Westerners have usually ALWAY had a "good choice"  or a "bad Choice" to choose from. 

Now when the choices change to "bad choice" to "worse choice" they are stumped and often do nothing and wait for the situation to play itself out.
  <as it did on 9/11>

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »

I am praying it will never happen, but JFK could have been asked the same thing.

Cowards is what many of you have become.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »

<says the Ron Paul fan>