Author Topic: One Year Lag Time Between Deserving the Title and Actually Winning the Olympia  (Read 2127 times)

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
Just a theory, but I've decided that the position of Mr. Olympia is so lofty that it cannot be won on your first attempt at it.  Dexter could have been assumed the winner last year IMO, and a good argument could be made for Phil actually having bested Dexter this year.  Jay could have won it from Ronnie one year before he actually did.  I think it takes one year, minimum, for the idea of a guy being Mr. Olympia to become popular enough in the public consciousness before a competitor is actually enabled to take the title.  I also think that by the time many of these guys take home the Sandow they are on the brink of their competitive decline.  Physiques have a "fresh" quality to them when the competitors are coming up that after a few years of competing first fades, then sort of "grow stale," and then finally you begin to see signs of "wilting" when they are on their way out, like the subtle ones Jay demonstrated last night for the very first time, such as wrinkles over his left nipple area and the pronounced ones in his low back.  These were tale-tell signs for me that he was done.  Last year he wasn't "wilting" so much as he has a "stale" look to his physique.  Kinda like it was just chemically patched together for one last win.  I'm not sure that Dexter brought anything "fresh" to the table last night, and Phil Heath looked to be in the prime of his life; his physique alive and fully popping.

Now think back to Dorian Vs. Levrone in 1992.  Dorian was able to win the title because he had come so close to Haney the year before.  People had had one year to consider the notion that this guy would be the next Mr. Olympia.  Levrone, looking back at that competition, was for many people viewing the YouTube clips today, actually much more impressive than Dorian that year, but very few were ready then for this relatively unknown to come in from out of nowhere and take it.  I think people, as a whole, might be reluctant to just give a crown like this to someone who could prove to be a one-shot wonder, and need to be reasonably assured that this person is duly qualified to serve as such an important figurehead and ambassador to the whole sport. 

This theory helps explain why the Mr. Olympia title has been so controversial over the years.  Thinking on a broader scope, you could also extrapolate these ideas onto the presidential campaign and consider the consequences there. 

Stavios

That's it, Jeff just lost it.

you are good for the asylum !  ;D

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
That's it, Jeff just lost it.

you are good for the asylum !  ;D

Then I fit right in here!   ;D

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
Oh yeah, one other thing:  Don't sign with MD if you want to win an Olympia, either, unless you are the current title holder at that stage of negotiations.   ;D

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
That seems to be true and is another reminder that this show isn't based entirely on merit.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
Ronnie went from 9th to 1st.

But I do agree with a lot of what you're saying, especially the MD stuff.

;D

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
Ronnie went from 9th to 1st.

But I do agree with a lot of what you're saying, especially the MD stuff.

;D

Good point but there was no reigning Mr. Olympia to topple and everyone had seen Flex Wheeler much better. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
yes Mr. Levrone was a victim of his early success :(

E
E

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
that definitely explains how dexter won this year and not the last year...

I didn't think he would win this year as he didn't win last year when he was much better than jay than he was yesterday.
tank u jesus

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
that definitely explains how dexter won this year and not the last year...

I didn't think he would win this year as he didn't win last year when he was much better than jay than he was yesterday.

Flex Magazine spent the whole year prepping the audience for this win by making "Jay Vs. Dex" the focal point of the show's hype...putting it out there that it would either be "Jay or Dex."  No mention of Wolf anywhere, no even in the prejudging report. 

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
Just a theory, but I've decided that the position of Mr. Olympia is so lofty that it cannot be won on your first attempt at it.  Dexter could have been assumed the winner last year IMO, and a good argument could be made for Phil actually having bested Dexter this year.  Jay could have won it from Ronnie one year before he actually did.  I think it takes one year, minimum, for the idea of a guy being Mr. Olympia to become popular enough in the public consciousness before a competitor is actually enabled to take the title.  I also think that by the time many of these guys take home the Sandow they are on the brink of their competitive decline.  Physiques have a "fresh" quality to them when the competitors are coming up that after a few years of competing first fades, then sort of "grow stale," and then finally you begin to see signs of "wilting" when they are on their way out, like the subtle ones Jay demonstrated last night for the very first time, such as wrinkles over his left nipple area and the pronounced ones in his low back.  These were tale-tell signs for me that he was done.  Last year he wasn't "wilting" so much as he has a "stale" look to his physique.  Kinda like it was just chemically patched together for one last win.  I'm not sure that Dexter brought anything "fresh" to the table last night, and Phil Heath looked to be in the prime of his life; his physique alive and fully popping.

Now think back to Dorian Vs. Levrone in 1992.  Dorian was able to win the title because he had come so close to Haney the year before.  People had had one year to consider the notion that this guy would be the next Mr. Olympia.  Levrone, looking back at that competition, was for many people viewing the YouTube clips today, actually much more impressive than Dorian that year, but very few were ready then for this relatively unknown to come in from out of nowhere and take it.  I think people, as a whole, might be reluctant to just give a crown like this to someone who could prove to be a one-shot wonder, and need to be reasonably assured that this person is duly qualified to serve as such an important figurehead and ambassador to the whole sport. 

This theory helps explain why the Mr. Olympia title has been so controversial over the years.  Thinking on a broader scope, you could also extrapolate these ideas onto the presidential campaign and consider the consequences there. 

Jeff, I think your theory has some merit.  

However, I think people are starting to WAKE UP and realize that we don't need or want an individual winning anything without clearly outperforming the competition.  Muscletime posting all of these old pics has reawakened the bodybuilding consciousness and helping us realize that this pattern of bad calls at the Olympia has been going on far too long.  We bodybuilding fans are looking for substance, and we just aren't going to accept guys like Dorian and Jay waltzing onto the stage and win...no matter their condition or lack of structural balance.  

The same thing is happening with the Presidential race.  Nevermind the fact that Barack Obama is a relatively untested Black male; he's extremely intelligent, thoughtful and articulate.  He's actually THINKING when responding to questions, unlike "knee jerk" McCain.  

Bottom line: we aren't going to accept this history of undeserving winners ANYMORE.  

Relentless

• Getbig IV
Re: One Year Lag Time Between Deserving the Title and Actually Winning the Olymp
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »
Flex Magazine spent the whole year prepping the audience for this win by making "Jay Vs. Dex" the focal point of the show's hype...putting it out there that it would either be "Jay or Dex."  No mention of Wolf anywhere, no even in the prejudging report. 

These people at AMI seem to think they can just manufacture a "product"...as in the hyping of a two-horse race between Jay and Dex, and we'll all just accept it.  We aren't going to fall for these old tricks and turn a deaf ear to what they are doing.  The writers at Flex don't have much of a clue of what bodybuilding fans want, or at least they don't give a shit about what we think. 

tendonitis

• Getbig V
Re: One Year Lag Time Between Deserving the Title and Actually Winning the Olymp
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 08:46:30 AM »

Now the question is does FLEX spend the next year hyping up the Dex vs. Phil matchup or the Dex vs Jay matchup, assuming Jay doesn't retire. I'm completely convinced the "machine" has already decided Phil will be the next Mr. Olympia once they're convinced he's ready and the fans are ready.  Do they try to get one more year out of the Jay vs. Dex matchup or do they go forward with the new one?

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 09:04:28 AM »
Jeff, I think your theory has some merit.  

However, I think people are starting to WAKE UP and realize that we don't need or want an individual winning anything without clearly outperforming the competition.  Muscletime posting all of these old pics has reawakened the bodybuilding consciousness and helping us realize that this pattern of bad calls at the Olympia has been going on far too long.  We bodybuilding fans are looking for substance, and we just aren't going to accept guys like Dorian and Jay waltzing onto the stage and win...no matter their condition or lack of structural balance.  

The same thing is happening with the Presidential race.  Nevermind the fact that Barack Obama is a relatively untested Black male; he's extremely intelligent, thoughtful and articulate.  He's actually THINKING when responding to questions, unlike "knee jerk" McCain.  

Bottom line: we aren't going to accept this history of undeserving winners ANYMORE.  

All good points.  The Muscletime website has become a goldmine for a much more encompassing retrospective look at the past nearly 15 years of competitive bodybuilding.  Many of the freshest, best shots to be found of bodybuilders anywhere right now reside on that website and it's interesting seeing the guys behind it taking on a much more vocal role that's attempting to re-shape the politics of the sport.  That trend is in place now and I'm anxious to see what they do with it.  I believe the Muscletime guys to have the most trained eyes in the sport right now.  Not only do I think they're calling the sport correctly, I think it takes a very trained and appreciative eye to capture guys in the shots that they do.  Their only fault so far as I can tell are the camera technicality issues.  Off-color, out of focus shots alot of the time but you cannot find fault in many of the angles and distances they've used.

As for McCain, despite all of his shortcomings, I think he would be a shoo-in for the presidency this time based on the "lagtime theory" I mentioned above were it not for the current economic crisis going on that most people naturally fault Bush's administration for, and McCain's "McSame" political beliefs, by proxy.  Hopefully America can be as "awake" as possible in time for the election.         

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination

If you're saying what I'm thinking you're saying, then McCain might be elected president. I mean he did pay his dues in 2000, and now he's come back to fuck us up.

Jay had to wait nearly 5 years for the 0. In 2001, he looked great, and in 2002 he finished 3rd behind Kevin. After that 3 straight 2nd place finishes, only to finally get it in 2006, and then get the benefit of the doubt in 2007, just as Dorian did in 1997, and to rightfully lose in 2008.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 09:07:30 AM »
Let's give it up for Dexter Jackson, "King of the Bodybuilding World."  Also let's give thanks to Muscletime for being the sport's most vocal advocates for change!  These guys know their bodybuilding!    

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
Levrone, looking back at that competition, was for many people viewing the YouTube clips today, actually much more impressive than Dorian that year, but very few were ready then for this relatively unknown to come in from out of nowhere and take it.

Muscletime.com agrees with this.

they say Kevin got screwed in 92 and that dorian should not have won.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Relentless

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 09:09:26 AM »
Geezus, this guy is so damn complete, isn't he?  This is what pro bodybuilding is all about, gentlemen!

Thanks for the pics Jeff.

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 09:11:48 AM »
If you're saying what I'm thinking you're saying, then McCain might be elected president. I mean he did pay his dues in 2000, and now he's come back to fuck us up.

Jay had to wait nearly 5 years for the 0. In 2001, he looked great, and in 2002 he finished 3rd behind Kevin. After that 3 straight 2nd place finishes, only to finally get it in 2006, and then get the benefit of the doubt in 2007, just as Dorian did in 1997, and to rightfully lose in 2008.

I'm saying it's the reason George Bush was elected for a second term and it's the reason McCain would surely win again were it not for the current economic crisis.  Maybe Muscletime can help push the fact that there is a crisis in IFBB judging at present?   ;D  The internet age has been here for more than a few years now and I think the people have access to a much more complete body of information that will hopefully allow us to make better decisions in the future.        

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s

word 8)