Author Topic: Pulpit Politics: 30 Pastors to Defy IRS  (Read 796 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Pulpit Politics: 30 Pastors to Defy IRS
« on: September 28, 2008, 01:54:48 PM »
During sermons this Sunday, some 35 pastors across the country will tell their congregations which presidential candidate they should vote for, "according to the Scriptures."

Their endorsements represent a direct challenge to federal tax law, which prohibits tax-exempt organizations from engaging in partisan political activity.

The clergy have embraced that risk, hoping their actions will trigger an investigation by the Internal Revenue Service, which would then enable a Christian legal advocacy group to take the IRS to court and challenge the constitutionality of the ban.

The Alliance Defense Fund (ADF), a conservative legal group based in Arizona, recruited the pastors for "Pulpit Freedom Sunday" to press their claim that the IRS tax code violates the free speech of religious leaders.

"I have a First Amendment right to say whatever I want to say, and I've never thought it was appropriate that as a pastor I could not share my political concerns with the congregation," says the Rev. Gus Booth, pastor at Warroad Community Church in Warroad, Minn.

Mr. Booth will endorse Sen. John McCain on Sunday, and has already told his congregation that as Christians, they could not vote for Sen. Barack Obama due to his position on abortion.

Mixing religion and politics

For other clergy – and legal experts – this is not a question of free speech, but an act contrary to the law that could also be dangerous for religion, potentially dividing and politicizing congregations.

"This is not a free speech issue," says the Rev. Eric Williams, pastor of North Congregational United Church of Christ in Columbus, Ohio. "Any person, including a pastor, can endorse a candidate as a private individual. And if a church wants to do it, it can give up its tax-exempt status."

cont...

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articles/article/pulpit_politics_pastors_to_defy_irs/5775/

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
Re: Pulpit Politics: 30 Pastors to Defy IRS
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »
Jail them!

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 02:30:41 PM »
We don't want them in jail.  We want them paying taxes like everyone else.  Let's hope their free ride is over.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:35:10 PM »
We don't want them in jail.  We want them paying taxes like everyone else.  Let's hope their free ride is over.

Yes, only Jail them, if they don't pay.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »
Yes, only Jail them, if they don't pay.
There are payment plans arranged by the IRS.  Unless of course the holy men of the cloth are above our earthly laws.

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »
Churches are evil...  Only place where pastors can bang little boys in the butt and its acceptable.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »

Damn, Decker. You won't be happy until everything is taxed.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
Interesting form of civil disobedience.  Anyone know the genesis of the law prohibiting churches from engaging in partisan politics? 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 12:23:21 PM »
the article mentions tax exempt im not 100% positive but arent schools tax exempt...A ton more political leanings and teachings go on in schools than in church.

The Coach

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »
Busted you are confusing Pastors with Priests.

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 01:46:35 PM »
Busted is confusing priests as not being human. 

Interesting subject.  A lot of pastors can speak on biblical principles in a political tone and not actually endorse a candidate.  Nothing wrong with that.  When you're a true christian and not just a Christmas and Easter attendee, then you don't need your preacher giving political lessons.  You'll know what to vote on.

Why isn't Jeremiah Wright's (former) church not being taxed??  Trinity United. 
Funny how this comes up when Southern preachers speak on politics.  I'm willing to bet a fair share of "black" churches praise Obama every Sunday. and I hear nothing.
W

Buffgeek

• Getbig III
  • I love white women!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »
Churches are evil...  Only place where pastors can bang little boys in the butt and its acceptable.

Yah chruches are evil. just ignore all the charity work done by christian organizations.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »
Yah chruches are evil. just ignore all the charity work done by christian organizations.

Exactly.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »
DAWG