Author Topic: Comparing Olympia Prize Monies  (Read 7527 times)

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Comparing Olympia Prize Monies
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »
I posted this on the Main G&O board because I was hoping to get some "legitmate" opinions/answers/thoughts but unfortunately at this point I got one semi good opinion spun with a smart ass remart, and a few fuvenille opinions that I figured would sneak in seeing where we are.  Here is a copy/paste of my post.  Let me know your thoughts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now I know I'm going to probably get a rash of shit for this post.  And I know all you guys have your own opinions of women's bodybuilding...which is fine.  I know it's not as popular/mainstream as men's bodybuilding.  BUT, regardless, they still obviously put just as much hard work, dedication, heart ... and by judging by their size and looks...probably supplements too.

I'm not saying they should get exactlyy the same amount as I'm sure there must be some good reason they don't (although I can't figure it out / and I'm sure a lot of you are going to offer some ridiculous "sexist" reason just because this is getbig  ).  I just find this HUGE difference in prizes pretty pathetic (and would so regardless even if I where a man).  And, I'm not comparing "job" pay here...I'm comparing prize money for the same type of contest under the same exact show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Olympia prize monies:

1st:  $155,000
2nd: $90,000
3rd:  $60,000
4th:  $48,000
5th:  $38,000
6th:  $30,000
7th:  $18,000
8th:  $17,000
9th:  $16,000
10th:  $14,000
11th and over:  $4,000

Total Mr. Olympia prize money:  OVER  $500,000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ms. Olympia prize monies:

1st:  $30.000
2nd:  $18,000
3rd:  $10,000
4th:  $7,000
5th:  $4,000

Total Ms. Olympia prize money:  $69.000

The "total" prize money in Ms. "O" is almost equal to the 3rd place prize to Mr.  "O".

Those who didn't place in Ms. "O" get nothing from what I can find (their prize placings stop at 5th) while those who don't place in Mr. "O" still get  prize money (and they have 10 placings)
:D Weee

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Re: Comparing Olympia Prize Monies
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:33:20 PM »
Ticket sales basically

the MR O sells em and the MS O don't female bodybuilding is dying (replaced by figure and fitness)
sad but true

if nobody want's to pay/see female bodybuilders there is no prize money to give
(years ago in it's heyday/cory everson era ,prize money was actually quite good)
Today Cory Everson's MS Olympia body would place well in a figure show not a bodybuilding one

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 07:32:14 PM »
Ticket sales basically

the MR O sells em and the MS O don't female bodybuilding is dying (replaced by figure and fitness)
sad but true

if nobody want's to pay/see female bodybuilders there is no prize money to give
(years ago in it's heyday/cory everson era ,prize money was actually quite good)
Today Cory Everson's MS Olympia body would place well in a figure show not a bodybuilding one
Interesting...now the Ms. Olympia pre-judging and night shows are/were held in a difference arena, correct?  Which would prove your explaination of ticket sales.  But, figure and fitness is held at the same arena on the same dates within the same show...and their winnings are even less.  $23,000 first place - fitness.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 08:07:21 PM »
Interesting...now the Ms. Olympia pre-judging and night shows are/were held in a difference arena, correct?  Which would prove your explaination of ticket sales.  But, figure and fitness is held at the same arena on the same dates within the same show...and their winnings are even less.  $23,000 first place - fitness.

Figure and Fitness shows are in their "infancy" and while growing/gaining in popularity cannot yet be Compared to the MR OLYMPIA (i appreciate/admire female bodybuilders....hell Laura you were almost a competive female bodybuilder! and i supported that)

sad fact is .....the "sport" of female bodybuilding is dying!/while figure/fitness shows are gaining in popularity
the general public (ie: females) simply do NOT want to look like the "roided up" female bodybuilder

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »
Figure and Fitness shows are in their "infancy" and while growing/gaining in popularity cannot yet be Compared to the MR OLYMPIA (i appreciate/admire female bodybuilders....hell Laura you were almost a competive female bodybuilder! and i supported that)

sad fact is .....the "sport" of female bodybuilding is dying!/while figure/fitness shows are gaining in popularity
the general public (ie: females) simply do NOT want to look like the "roided up" female bodybuilder

What I'm saying here is that where do they come up with their figures for these prizes.  Ok...Ms. Olympia sells it's own tickets to it's own show, but the figure and fitness are held right there at the Mr. Olympia.  So, out of the "X" amount of ticket sales, how do they know who's there to see what and then justify a difference of over $125,000 (in just the first place prize).

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 08:26:59 PM »
What I'm saying here is that where do they come up with their figures for these prizes.  Ok...Ms. Olympia sells it's own tickets to it's own show, but the figure and fitness are held right there at the Mr. Olympia.  So, out of the "X" amount of ticket sales, how do they know who's there to see what and then justify a difference of over $125,000 (in just the first place prize).

because the MS OLYMPIA LOSES money every year ....................its lucky honestly that it's not cancelled

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 09:03:26 PM »
because the MS OLYMPIA LOSES money every year ....................its lucky honestly that it's not cancelled
Well, maybe if they (judges) didn't put that "bigger is better" mentality into the competitors it wouldn't have gone into the direction it has and maybe it wouldn't be losing popularity and money then.  :-\

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 09:09:42 PM »
epic husband helping wife's thread to not die  ;D

Laura, in all fairness, women bb is nothing and you should know most of the girls over there end being the whore of the night of any of the top 10-20 ranked guys.

Every year is the same, the prize is a "fee" for the night

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 05:25:20 AM »
Interesting stuff!!  You're both on the right track, as unfortunate as it is.  Judging needs to steer the future direction of FBB, if there is any.

Laura, when you guys argue back and forth, do you use the same computer or is it an upstairs/downstairs kinda thing?   :D

:)

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 06:57:13 AM »
Interesting stuff!!  You're both on the right track, as unfortunate as it is.  Judging needs to steer the future direction of FBB, if there is any.

Laura, when you guys argue back and forth, do you use the same computer or is it an upstairs/downstairs kinda thing?   :D

We don't argue, not really.  I think in the last 4 years we have only truly argued "maybe" 3-4 times?

But if you are talking about when we are discussing our opinions of something on here...he's on the desktop computer in the computer room and I'm on my laptop (in the spare bedroom right now due to my radiaition, otherwise I'm on my laptop either in our room or downstairs in the kitchen/livingroom/where ever I have it sitting).

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 03:41:42 AM »
Yeah its crazy how much disparity there is between the two.  But since BB in general is so small the guys are lucky they are getting as much as they are.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 08:28:25 AM »
Yeah its crazy how much disparity there is between the two.  But since BB in general is so small the guys are lucky they are getting as much as they are.
no its not really that crazy at all considering that about 2% of all the people who bought tickets to the olympia, bought them solely for the purpose of seeing the Ms.O.............

With the way the female physiques have morphed into, ill be suprised if female bodybuilding is around at all in 10 years.

And if it is still around, i can guarantee it will not resemble in any shape, form, or fashion, the mess that it is today.

And i actually like fbb, but its a mess, plain and simple, and needs to be fixed.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 05:49:15 PM »
no its not really that crazy at all considering that about 2% of all the people who bought tickets to the olympia, bought them solely for the purpose of seeing the Ms.O.............

With the way the female physiques have morphed into, ill be suprised if female bodybuilding is around at all in 10 years.

And if it is still around, i can guarantee it will not resemble in any shape, form, or fashion, the mess that it is today.

And i actually like fbb, but its a mess, plain and simple, and needs to be fixed.

"plain and simple" Huh?  I think it seems just fine. 

But if you guarantee it will not be the same and say its bad, then I just dont know anymore.  :-\

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 12:55:44 AM »
no i guarantee this. a physique like iris kyles will not be the ms.olympia ten years from now.

which is a good thing......A VERY GOOD THING :)

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 08:22:20 AM »
FBB will always be under ground.
There will always be a small group of fans for very extreme Female builds.
The weird thing is FBB was getting the most respect and prize money in the late 1990s when Kim C was boss.
The builds then where more shredded then than now.

I think it is sort of like Formula one, to many people fiddled with it.
It should have been allowed to follow its own course in a more natural way.
And of course Figure girls have taken up that notch with most of the woman have builds now of most FBB of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Let it be, it will grow or die on its own, but it is unreasonable to expect it to have the same prize money as the guys BB, as it is ticket sales dependent.
It is sorta like having a bunch of male models at a bikini launch for female models wondering why they are not getting the same attention.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
FBB will always be under ground.
There will always be a small group of fans for very extreme Female builds.
The weird thing is FBB was getting the most respect and prize money in the late 1990s when Kim C was boss.
The builds then where more shredded then than now.

I think it is sort of like Formula one, to many people fiddled with it.
It should have been allowed to follow its own course in a more natural way.
And of course Figure girls have taken up that notch with most of the woman have builds now of most FBB of the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Let it be, it will grow or die on its own, but it is unreasonable to expect it to have the same prize money as the guys BB, as it is ticket sales dependent.
It is sorta like having a bunch of male models at a bikini launch for female models wondering why they are not getting the same attention.

Very good post.  :)

HeyNow

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
Womens' Bodybuilding is very unpopular, most of the prize money comes from the event sponsors.  Lets be realisitc here, when it comes to supplement companies the target buyer is male and they are the one dishing out most of the cash for products, and not the female bodybuilder.  Not alot of money can be made from the female bodybuilder/fitness competitor compared to the wanna be male bodybuilder/gym rat, so why invest money into something your not going to make any return on?  Bodybuilding is a great hobby and it's my favorite thing to do, but very few people care..money is in sports etc. When bodybuilding starts filling arena's thats when money will be in the hobby.  Until then women bodybuilders have to take it for what it is.  Pardon my rambling I just had some bain... :)

CHEVEN

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 05:48:42 AM »
It sucks cause I love you girls. But it freaks must people out to see women with arms bigger then theirs. I don't think chic bodybuilders got me on arm size. lol

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 06:20:50 AM »
It sucks cause I love you girls. But it freaks must people out to see women with arms bigger then theirs. I don't think chic bodybuilders got me on arm size. lol

Yeah its usually the tiny tits who get all insecure over big, muscular women.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 06:02:46 AM »

Yeah its usually the tiny tits who get all insecure over big, muscular women.

I'm LITTLE and I get this all the time from guys in the gym.  It's pretty funny to me.

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 08:38:52 AM »
Why don't you build up some bigger guns then so you can dominate your muscle woman tiny tit  ;D