Author Topic: What do yall think about TOOL?  (Read 5722 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: What do yall think about TOOL?
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 05:50:49 PM »
Wolfmother rip off?? haha, they've been around since like 97, so not at all actually.

warchild

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 05:53:02 PM »
Laboring around shithole clubs in Louisville doesn't quite put you on the "map"

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 05:53:14 PM »
Yea, I heard some tapes of some of the Deads shows from the 60's, some 40 minute jams from Garcia playing "Darkstar" were pretty incredible.  They aged pretty badly though.  I saw one of the last shows in Memphis in '95 and it was pretty bad, Garcia could barely stand.  Helluva guitar player though, one of the greatest.

I was too young to ever see anything of hte dead live that was epic, but i saw them live in like 93 ( i was 10 or 11) and they were really good.  the stuff thats really awesome is like the 72-74 era, the live from europe album is awesome. If you like the deadish sound with more control, listen to Ryan Adams and the Cardinals.  they are really really really good:

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 05:53:35 PM »
Freaking awesome band in concert. Saw them when they came to Houston last May.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »
Laboring around shithole clubs in Louisville doesn't quite put you on the "map"

you're right and thats why they got big in 98 from appearing in a belgian documentary about alt-country.  Got any more?

warchild

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 05:55:51 PM »
While they may have a few yrs on Wolfmother, as far as being a unit, I'd venture to say that Wolfmother had a much stronger following in Australia and a pretty strong following here.
BTW, Tool is fantastic

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »
While they may have a few yrs on Wolfmother, as far as being a unit, I'd venture to say that Wolfmother had a much stronger following in Australia and a pretty strong following here.
BTW, Tool is fantastic

So your arguement is that wolfmother was big in australia for longer than you remember hearing about MMJ and you're from australia?  Damn, we better get you to law school, you'd make a helluva lawyer ;)

I like 'mother and i'm into the music scene and the only song that i've ever heard of theirs getting air time is that "love woman" song.  granted, i never hear my morning jacket on the radio at all, but thats because they don't really appeal to the radio audience, they appeal to the concert industry.  MMJ do have some of the best reviewed albums of the last 4 years with Z, Okonokos and Evil Urges, thats nothing to sneeze at.

here's another cardinal vid, more deadish:

warchild

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
Actually, I'm not from Australia, I live about 2 hrs from Louisville and have seen MMJ twice, just not my thing. I happen to have friends in Australia that turned me onto Wolfmother around 2001. After I saw MMJ for the second time, I saw a little band from Kentucky, Blackstone Cherry, that absolutely kicked ass and was much more impressive IMO. I do love great rock music and I've seen my share. Def not into the jam band scene or the college hippy rock shit

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 06:07:20 PM »
Actually, I'm not from Australia, I live about 2 hrs from Louisville and have seen MMJ twice, just not my thing. I happen to have friends in Australia that turned me onto Wolfmother around 2001. After I saw MMJ for the second time, I saw a little band from Kentucky, Blackstone Cherry, that absolutely kicked ass and was much more impressive IMO. I do love great rock music and I've seen my share. Def not into the jam band scene or the college hippy rock shit

I hope you don't consider mmj jam band or hippy rock shit, thats more dmb and phish.  mmj, in my mind, are a nice mix of the allman brothers and led zeppelin.

warchild

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 06:10:52 PM »
No, wasn't trying to imply that, just throwing that bit of info out, not that it really matters. Guess I just wanted to take a shot at both   ;D

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 06:23:14 PM »
No, wasn't trying to imply that, just throwing that bit of info out, not that it really matters. Guess I just wanted to take a shot at both   ;D

i can't blame you.  I've suffered through some boring concerts to get some ass, haha

warchild

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 06:32:15 PM »
i can't blame you.  I've suffered through some boring concerts to get some ass, haha

I can relate bro, when I worked the Tabernacle in Atlanta from 99-01, I saw some boring, shit music, just so I could try to get some ass

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 06:33:29 PM »
I hope you don't consider mmj jam band or hippy rock shit, thats more dmb and phish.  mmj, in my mind, are a nice mix of the allman brothers and led zeppelin.
Whooosh. Gotta disagree wholeheartedly. Those two bands are seminal/iconic and comparisons always fall short or sound hollow. I like MMJ and their 'One Big Holiday' when it gets really rolling is reminiscent of The Outlaws' great 'Green Grass and High Tides.'  Now there is a tune that is 10 mins of sonic beauty. 'Scuse me while I fire up my steal-ware.  :)

warchild

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 06:35:36 PM »
Damn, that's a great fuckin song Dr. Chimps. Now, I'm gonna have to pull out Blackfoot and Marshall Tucker, as well as the Allman Bros and Skynyrd

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 06:36:20 PM »
Damn, that's a great fuckin song Dr. Chimps
Listening to it right now. It scorches!

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »
Gotta be kidding! Arckanum is Leaps and Bounds ahead.

6'11, 195 lbs on stage baby!!!

warchild

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2008, 07:15:10 PM »
Ahh, Swedish black metal, one man band

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »
TOOL=one of my favorite bands.
I am a big baby

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 08:34:25 PM »
Rolling stone said, and i'm paraphrasing, "why go see the led zeppelin reunion tour when you can see the real thing with My Morning Jacket?"  So, i'm not the only one thinking this way.  listen to the first track off their new album:

or Run thru:

if those two songs don't sound like a mix of the allman bros and zep... what does?  And they are getting bigger and bigger with every album and single.  All its going to take for these guys is one big hit and they'll be the biggest band in the world.  Jim James is like bono and freddie mercury and robert plant, he has hte falsetto and the power vox to back it up, its a rare combination.  These guys have had the best reviewed albums of any band out there for the last few years.  Just watch, they'll get one hit and then they'll be HUGE.  DMB got one big hit and then they skyrocketed.  A very similar thing is going to occur with MMJ.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2008, 06:14:28 AM »
Epic forearms.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 06:20:17 AM »
retarded music for retarded people.

funny, that's my thoughts as well ;)
$

Sassyclassywoman

• Getbig II
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 06:21:52 AM »
Tool has been my favorite band for 5 years now.  I saw them in concert in barcelona, spain like 3 years ago.  Saw the  10,000 days concert.  Absolutely amazing music.  I also loved the artwork of the cd case of 10,000 days.  

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 06:22:21 AM »
I did security at a couple of shows in Seattle for Tool/Maynard.  It was a great performance.  He was a cool dude.  Puts on quite the act.  

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 08:01:14 AM »
Listening to it right now. It scorches!

Every once and awhile I have to break out "Bring It Back Alive" and listen to the live version. :)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2008, 09:17:53 AM »
I did security at a couple of shows in Seattle for Tool/Maynard.  It was a great performance.  He was a cool dude.  Puts on quite the act.  

How many times did he change wigs?