Author Topic: 'Fireproof' burns up box office  (Read 8749 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
'Fireproof' burns up box office
« on: October 01, 2008, 05:49:10 AM »
October 01, 2008

"Fireproof" is living up to its name as another winning release by the Kendrick brothers, Alex and Stephen, two ordained ministers from Sherwood Baptist Church of Albany, Ga. The movie, starring Kirk Cameron, opened Sept. 26 and came in as the fourth-highest grossing movie for the weekend ending Sept. 28 with a total $6.5 million, according to Box Office Mojo.

Considering that the movie cost only $500,000 to produce, the film has already shown a profit for the Kendricks' movie label, Sherwood Pictures and distributors Sony Provident and Samuel Goldwyn.

"Fireproof" follows the story of firefighter Caleb Holt (Cameron) whose marriage begins to fall apart after the honeymoon is over. Cameron's character in the film is encouraged to fight for his marriage instead of relying on the standard Hollywood solution of divorce. As a friend tells him, "You run into burning buildings to save people you don't even know, but you're going to let your own marriage burn to the ground."

Caleb is given a book titled "The Love Dare" with a 40-day goal of putting his marriage back together with the help of God.

To understand the "Fireproof" phenomenon, it is important to look back two years at the Kendrick brothers' first movie, "Facing The Giants," a story of the trials, tribulation and victory of a football team at a Christian high school. That's when the trouble and success came together in an unexpected miracle for the filmmakers. And, the same formula is proving successful again.

With only a $100,000 budget, the Kendrick brothers served as both actor and director in "Facing the Giants." The key to any film with good production values, even on a budget less than most 60-second TV commercials, is good cinematography and sound. The Kendricks hired veteran NFL cinematographer Bob Scott and sound technician Rob Whitehurst.

The movie created good word-of-mouth on the Christian church circuit where the film was shown in sanctuaries and gymnasiums. Sony Provident, Carmel and Samuel Goldwyn quickly jumped on board and submitted the Kendrick brothers' film to the MPAA for rating approval in order to be shown in mainline theaters.

When "Facing the Giants" received a PG-rating, Alex and Stephen were told by the MPAA ratings board that their little movie contained "thematic elements," code language for "too overtly Christian." In fact, the brothers were actually told that "Giants" contained "strong religious themes" and "elevated one religion over another."

Matt Drudge picked up on the controversy and soon the movie was gaining attention from the New York Times, Good Morning America, CNN and Fox News. Mark Joseph, the film's consultant, had also coordinated media strategy for "Passion of the Christ" and "The Chronicles of Narnia" and found the publicity a blessing in disguise.

Three months after its release in September of 2006, the $100,000 film had grossed over $10 million. The MPAA had revised its statement and said that the movie was rated PG due to "football violence," denying that religion played any role in the rating decision. The two brothers confirmed that the MPAA changed its story after the controversy spread.

And, the same scenario is being replayed with "Fireproof." The MPAA rated the film PG, again for "thematic elements" and "some peril." In other words, a "perilous" Christian movie that actually entertains and sends a message of hope and redemption requires a special warning from the MPAA lest anybody be saved without advance knowledge.

The Kendrick brothers don't mind. Their fan base is rock solid and growing rapidly as individuals and families realize it's "safe" to go to the theater again. Whereas "Facing the Giants" opened in just over 300 theaters in 2006, "Fireproof" opened in 830 movie theaters and is expected to make $10 million in its first seven days, a 20-fold increase on Sherwood's investment. And, that is only the beginning.

As Michael Silberman of Samuel Goldwyn said, "The Kendricks are catering to audiences that Hollywood doesn't make movies for anymore." Imagine if Hollywood would "get the message" and start giving the American audience movies it wants to see instead of giving them what Hollywood wants them to see.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=76644

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: 'Fireproof' burns up box office
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:10:02 AM »

When you die you are going to take a dirt nap like all the rest of us Loco.
I hate the State.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:41:30 AM »
I can't wait to go see this movie with my wife. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »

You're going to be taking a dirt nap too Jebus Freak. We all are. Living a life of delusion, the only real thing  in your life are the genetics powering your muscles.
I hate the State.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:06:29 AM »
You're going to be taking a dirt nap too Jebus Freak. We all are. Living a life of delusion, the only real thing  in your life are the genetics powering your muscles.
Thank GOD for my genetics.   :P

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »

I highly recommend it.  Take some tissue with you...for you wife, not for you.   :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:09:19 AM »
Thank GOD for my genetics.   :P

Thank your African ancestors for that as your genetics are all you have...
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »
I highly recommend it.  Take some tissue with you...for you wife, not for you.   :)

What does Jebus have to do with this movie?
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 11:18:35 AM »
What does Jebus have to do with this movie?

I won't spoil it for you.  Go see it.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 12:09:06 PM »
I won't spoil it for you.  Go see it.

I am not going to watch this crappy ass movie; now why is it a 'Christian Movie'?
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
I just watched the Trailer...

The movie is a piece of shit and totally fucking gay...

So fucking pathetic...

No doubt it will be a box office smash with the hordes of religious idiots who dot the American landscape. :-X :-X :-X
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »
I am not going to watch this crappy ass movie; now why is it a 'Christian Movie'?

Because Christ changes lives and saves troubled marriages.  Very realistic movie, I speak from experience.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »
Because Christ changes lives and saves troubled marriages.  Very realistic movie, I speak from experience.

You are deluded and psychologically ill human being Loco. Get help. There is no god. There is no Jebus. All we have is ourselves and then we die, consigned to oblivion. Christ is a fucking bumper sticker for people's weak psychology and deluded minds.
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »
You are deluded and psychologically ill human being Loco. Get help. There is no god. There is no Jebus. All we have is ourselves and then we die, consigned to oblivion. Christ is a fucking bumper sticker for people's weak psychology and deluded minds.

Thanks for the diagnosis and medical advice!   ;)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »
Thanks for the diagnosis and medical advice!   ;)

Seriously, you seem like an ok guy, but aren't you smart enough to realise that this is just a psychological crutch you are leaning on; this evangelical Brazilian lives in my building; he is ok too but fucking deluded as fucking hell.

You say Christ 'changed' you life but it could have just as easily been Vishnu or Buddha or Allah...all the same shit. It's better to deal with reality even if it is tough than delude yourself. You do realise you have zero evidence for your beliefs, don't you?
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »
Seriously, you seem like an ok guy, but aren't you smart enough to realise that this is just a psychological crutch you are leaning on; this evangelical Brazilian lives in my building; he is ok too but fucking deluded as fucking hell.

You say Christ 'changed' you life but it could have just as easily been Vishnu or Buddha or Allah...all the same shit. It's better to deal with reality even if it is tough than delude yourself. You do realise you have zero evidence for your beliefs, don't you?

Correct!  It's only by grace, through faith that I believe.  That's all.  I can't prove it to you.  But my life changing experience, and that of other Christians around me, is real and you can't talk me out of that.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 12:52:42 PM »
Fireproof is partnered with Fireproof My Marriage, an organization created to strengthen and heal marriages. The Love Dare, a book written by Alex and Stephen Kendrick, is a major topic in the film, being one of the main points of the plot. Alex Kendrick said in an interview that this film would be "a drama/romance about marriage. Our goal is to reinforce God's intention for marriage."

With 50% of all marriages in the United States ending in divorce, Fireproof has been endorsed by many marriage-oriented organizations, including FamilyLife, The Marriage CoMission, The Association of Marriage and Family Ministries, Marriage Alive Communications and MarriageToday.  The film has been uniting many other marriage advocates from across the United States.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 01:00:17 PM »
Hope it doesn't cost the same price as a regular movie.  Sounds like a sappy movie that would be better shown on one of the various christian cable channels.

[Spoiler Warning] Caleb himself comes up with perhaps the film's richest nugget: "I have learned that you never leave your partner—especially in a fire." And I'll note here in this spoiler paragraph that Caleb doggedly sticks to his 40-day Love Dare, and it utterly reshapes his attitudes and actions toward Catherine. "I am sorry," he ultimately tells her. "I have trampled on you with my words and my actions." The movie ends with the once-again happy couple renewing wedding vows and a preacher talking about the difference between a legal marriage contract and a heavenly minded marriage covenant.

Thanks for spoiling it for others!   ::)

Of course it costs the same price as any other movie at the theatre.  The movie already made $6.5 million on its fist weekend.  Obviously, many people are willing to pay full price for it, and it has gotten good reviews from both critics and viewers.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 01:01:52 PM »
Correct!  It's only by grace, through faith that I believe.  That's all.  I can't prove it to you.  But my life changing experience, and that of other Christians around me, is real and you can't talk me out of that.

Then die a deluded asshole. ::)
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 01:02:48 PM »

Of course it costs the same price as any other movie at the theatre.  The movie already made $6.5 million on its fist weekend.  Obviously, many people are willing to pay full price for it, and it has gotten good reviews from both critics and viewers.

Christian nuthuggers... ::)
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 01:10:42 PM »
Then die a deluded asshole. ::)

I will!  And you, may you live a long and prosperous life, Deicide!    ;D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »
I will!  And you, may you live a long and prosperous life, Deicide!    ;D

Weren't you a convict before you found Jebus? ::)
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 02:54:02 PM »
Weren't you a convict before you found Jebus? ::)

No señor.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 03:00:01 PM »
No señor.

So, since you are so elated about Jebus, why don't you tell me, how you 'found' 'him'?
I hate the State.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 04:15:53 PM »

Yeah, right.  Like the ending was going to be a surprise.  This isn't an M. Night Shyamalan movie.  It is christian pablum masquerading as entertainment.

The only way the ending would be a surprise is if the lead character left his wife for hotter, younger woman and then, in an act of divine retribution, was hit by a car driven by the angel Gabriel.  The moral?  Leave your wife and the sacred christian bond of marriage and suffer the consequences.