Author Topic: New polls show Obama breaking away in key states  (Read 404 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
New polls show Obama breaking away in key states
« on: October 01, 2008, 11:42:35 AM »
October 1, 2008
New polls show Obama breaking away in key states
Posted: 12:55 PM ET

(CNN) – New polls released Wednesday morning suggest the race for the White House could be breaking for Barack Obama in three key battleground states.

Just-released Quinnipiac University surveys show Obama with wide leads in Pennsylvania and Ohio, as well as Florida — the showdown state in the 2000 presidential race where John McCain has had held an advantage for most of the summer.

The latest poll results are bad news for McCain as Election Day inches closer and just may be the clearest sign yet the nation's ongoing financial crisis is taking its toll on the Arizona senator's candidacy.

"It is virtually impossible for McCain to win the White House without Florida and Ohio," CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib said. "The financial crisis is playing right into Obama's message of change, and putting the GOP on the defensive all across the electoral map."

Quinnipiac's new survey in Pennsylvania shows Obama with a stunning 14 point-lead over McCain, 54-39 percent. Averaging that survey with other recent Pennsylvania polls, the latest CNN poll of polls there shows a 10-point lead for Obama in the state that only voted for John Kerry by a 2-point margin in 2004. Several polls released earlier this month in Pennsylvania suggested Obama's lead there was in the mid single digits.

A new Quinnipiac Ohio poll also released Wednesday morning shows Obama leading McCain by 8 points there. CNN does not have enough recent polling in Ohio for a poll of polls, but several surveys released earlier this month before the extent of the financial crisis became clear showed the two presidential candidates tied there.

A new Quinnipiac Florida poll also shows big gains for Obama, with the Illinois senator now holding an 8 point lead, 51 to 43 percent. There is also not enough recent polling in Florida to conduct a poll of polls there, though a survey from ARG earlier this week showed Obama with a statistically insignificant 1-point lead.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: New polls show Obama breaking away in key states
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 01:23:33 PM »
Zoby's got it 49-43 in Obama's favor.  I think Obama's got this one in the bag to be truthful. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:26:04 PM »
Zoby's got it 49-43 in Obama's favor.  I think Obama's got this one in the bag to be truthful. 
I believe it when it happens.  If it's close in these states, McCain wins.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »
it would take a major screwup for obama to lose.  If he's up 5 points in a swing state, he wins it.  If he's up 2 points, well, Diebold wins it.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »
I still say McCain wins by 4%.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »

Maybe.  I think it's still a toss up.  Still two debates left.  No telling what will happen with the markets, etc. and who will benefit from all the chaos.