Author Topic: My thoughts on dexter winning the O  (Read 2149 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
My thoughts on dexter winning the O
« on: October 01, 2008, 01:29:23 PM »
I'm happy for dexter.... really i am...
but i have to be honest.... I dunno it seems strange to have a small mr olympia...
how can you be mr olympia when the majority of the top 10 are bigger...
having balance and symmetry  is great but so is size... he just doesnt have that wow factor
when ronnie was mr o and he made a tv appearance he was Huge massive..
i dunno dexter on say jay leno.. and jay leno towers over him? 
does anyone else feel this way?
 ???
choice is an illusion

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: My thoughts on dexter winning the O
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 01:32:10 PM »
I'm happy for dexter.... really i am...
but i have to be honest.... I dunno it seems strange to have a small mr olympia...
how can you be mr olympia when the majority of the top 10 are bigger...
having balance and symmetry  is great but so is size... he just doesnt have that wow factor
when ronnie was mr o and he made a tv appearance he was Huge massive..
i dunno dexter on say jay leno.. and jay leno towers over him? 
does anyone else feel this way?
 ???

Dexter is HUGE just think he's the same height as Shawn Ray and weighs 20-25 pounds more , his problem is he's just not as huge as the taller guys , a deserving Mr Olympia in my opinion.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »
yes he is huge... but not in comparison to his peers...
so picture the scenario
 dex on jay leno
and he announces
MR olympia the best bodybuilder in the world...
everyone is gonna be expecting a giant..
then dex all of 5'5 is gonna walk out... :-\
im not sayin he isnt a great bber he is...
im sayin its a bit weird
choice is an illusion

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 01:40:54 PM »
indeed...

Jay, Wolf, Heath, Martinez...etc are very suitable as mr o
tank u jesus

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 01:48:41 PM »
What competitor currently competing would you have rather seen in the spot, Mesomorph? 

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 01:52:53 PM »
wolf...
freeman...
choice is an illusion

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 01:57:48 PM »
vic martinez is mr o
when and if he comes back...
choice is an illusion

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 02:18:44 PM »
Vic Martinez would be the perfect MR O...balance, symmetry, definition...i think he has everything that Dex has plus being bigger. And Vic really has that WOW factor ..

Dex is great, but i agree completely with Mesomorph...The winner this year should be between Toney or Wolf. For me even Heat beat Dex
!

SweetMuscles

• Getbig IV
  • The Grim Repper
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »
Dude, you write like a 5 year old. Your sentences are hard to read. I am amazed that you have such a great 'banking job' with such a poor level of literacy.
How is your 'bank' doing?

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 02:25:52 PM »
Vic Martinez would be the perfect MR O...balance, symmetry, definition...i think he has everything that Dex has plus being bigger. And Vic really has that WOW factor ..

Dex is great, but i agree completely with Mesomorph...The winner this year should be between Toney or Wolf. For me even Heat beat Dex
yup vic has dexters number all day
but with him absent this year  toney or wolf would have been my pick
choice is an illusion

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 02:30:40 PM »
Jay all the way. He looked awesome this year, his back was fuckin nuts. Definitely deserved the win.

SweetMuscles

• Getbig IV
  • The Grim Repper
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 02:35:58 PM »
Jay all the way. He looked awesome this year, his back was fuckin nuts. Definitely deserved the win.
Couldn't agree more. Seems like a decision to retro punish Jay for being a bit fortunate last year. He looked the best on stage this year.

rk272727

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 02:39:24 PM »
thew best won this yr get over yourselves
b

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
yes he is huge... but not in comparison to his peers...
so picture the scenario
 dex on jay leno
and he announces
MR olympia the best bodybuilder in the world...
everyone is gonna be expecting a giant..
then dex all of 5'5 is gonna walk out... :-\
im not sayin he isnt a great bber he is...
im sayin its a bit weird

this is a great example.

when he walks out- even at 5'5" folks are going to marvel at his massive neck and bulging clothes...they will.

then, if he strips down they will freak out with the shape and detail and appearance of what looks like an athlete.

conversely a "big guy" walks out. He looks the same as Dex but a few inches taller in clothes.

then he strips down and the folks see a fridge. ..a big letdown to see an ugly, deformed physique that no one wants.

big, sure...but so are the guys in the world's strongest man comp....much bigger in clothes than jay etc..

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »
i know what your saying...
dex is impressive...
but for a mr o  sizewise I dunno ???
in contrast to coleman... or jay or freeman
coleman looked huge
heck when dex is sitting on that chair on the tonight show his feet may not even touch the ground  ;D ;D ;D
im playing... i'm just saying dex doesnt have that wow factor
choice is an illusion

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »
dude is a midget

while the worlds population is getting taller and taller, especially in the great european countries, bodybuilders are getting smaller

Z

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 03:14:08 PM »
Dude, you write like a 5 year old. Your sentences are hard to read. I am amazed that you have such a great 'banking job' with such a poor level of literacy.
How is your 'bank' doing?

Have you ever seen a Doctor's handwriting, who can decipher that shit? It's a wonder why there aren't that many prescription screwups due their chicken scratching

Miss Demeanor

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »
Dexter is HUGE just think he's the same height as Shawn Ray and weighs 20-25 pounds more , his problem is he's just not as huge as the taller guys , a deserving Mr Olympia in my opinion.

I have a hard time believing he and Shawn are the same height but Dexter carries almost 20 or more pounds more lean body mass.  Either Shawn's shorter than generally reported, Dexter's taller, Dexter's weight's inflated or Shawn's downplayed (VERY unlikely) ... something's off. 

N. Diety, do you remember that show when everybody _except_ Dexter took part in the official weigh-in?  I don't buy that Dexter's 5'7" and 235 lbs.  220, maybe.  Kenny Wheeler was 5'8'-5'9, at least as shredded and between 210-220 at the 1993 Arnold Classic.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 05:08:26 PM »
Meso, Dex was the best bodybuilder on the stage this past weekend and deserves the Sandow.  There have been other short bodybuilders who've held the Sandow, including Scott (5'8"), Dickerson (5'7") and Columbu (5'5").  Hell, other than Arnold (who claims a contested 6'2" height), all the Olympia winners have been under 6 foot tall, including Cutler.  I'd consider them all short.

Mr. Olympia should be judged based on the best physique on stage, not based on some height standard.  If all 2'9" tall ol' Aditya 'Romeo' Dev qualified for the Olympia and came in with the most well developed body on stage (all 20 lbs of him), he should be named Mr. Olympia.  And if Jay Leno steps on him by accident when he comes on the Tonight Show, so be it.   ;D

SweetMuscles

• Getbig IV
  • The Grim Repper
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »
Meso, Dex was the best bodybuilder on the stage this past weekend and deserves the Sandow.  There have been other short bodybuilders who've held the Sandow, including Scott (5'8"), Dickerson (5'7") and Columbu (5'5"). 

All the shit ones.
Jay was the best guy by a million miles the 2nd night.
They chickened out of giving Jay another tight decision and gave it to a charmless scumbag with no size.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 05:38:37 PM »
Meso, Dex was the best bodybuilder on the stage this past weekend and deserves the Sandow.  There have been other short bodybuilders who've held the Sandow, including Scott (5'8"), Dickerson (5'7") and Columbu (5'5").  Hell, other than Arnold (who claims a contested 6'2" height), all the Olympia winners have been under 6 foot tall, including Cutler.  I'd consider them all short.

Mr. Olympia should be judged based on the best physique on stage, not based on some height standard.  If all 2'9" tall ol' Aditya 'Romeo' Dev qualified for the Olympia and came in with the most well developed body on stage (all 20 lbs of him), he should be named Mr. Olympia.  And if Jay Leno steps on him by accident when he comes on the Tonight Show, so be it.   ;D

im not sayin dex didnt look great.... its just weird they gave it to the smaller guy
ronnie and dorian was 5'11
that isnt short in fact all the best bber were around 5'10 5'11
kevin flex nasser baker... ronie lee haney dorian rhul they are the medium between tall and stringy and too  shortnot to say wolf stringy but those 5'10 5'11 carried the most mass in good proportion in my opinion
choice is an illusion

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 05:45:08 PM »
I have a hard time believing he and Shawn are the same height but Dexter carries almost 20 or more pounds more lean body mass.  Either Shawn's shorter than generally reported, Dexter's taller, Dexter's weight's inflated or Shawn's downplayed (VERY unlikely) ... something's off. 

N. Diety, do you remember that show when everybody _except_ Dexter took part in the official weigh-in?  I don't buy that Dexter's 5'7" and 235 lbs.  220, maybe.  Kenny Wheeler was 5'8'-5'9, at least as shredded and between 210-220 at the 1993 Arnold Classic.

It would be very interesting to see Shawn & Dexter side-by-side now and days to see the difference in size , but these are always lying about weights & heights , Haney was 5'11" and weighed 230 pounds at his first Olympia win so Dexter's claim may be fluffed up although I think he's heavier than Shawn ever was

suckmymuscle

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 05:47:38 PM »
  Dorian 95' would have crushed Dexter. See my thread for that.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 01:26:44 AM »
All the shit ones.
J....

lol... actually how tall is samir?

and gaspari gave haney a run for his money for a few years- how tall is he?

and then we have labrada- who shouldve won it twice but it got awarded to a big ugly pile of muscle.

using this very same argument- how come schlierkamp wasnt awarded the mr.o?- the years he was on he certainly "brought it" to the stage and at 6'6" or something had enough size..

as i recall he did actually beat big ron back in the day when Ron was still considered unbeatable.

i think the message is that alot of judging has to do with history..and judges find it hard to break from what has been done before rather than put on a fresh pair of glasses each year and truly mark the scorecards according to the tenets of BB.

The other factor is the score cards themselves. The 3 "rounds" arent setup properly as they reward a competitor for the same aspect over and over again.

Like when Milos pointed out that Jay beat Dex in each of the symmetry rounds, or was that Ron...anyway, doesnt matter- the sport has many instances of scorecards showing this very same thing.

if joe public was given the BB scoring brief, there's no way that he'd have the nicer looking package come out behind the ugly one. But judges manage to do it each year.

Then we have the comparison round. If you order it youll notice that this gets ranked in order of size first, then tweaked for aesthetics. The huge guy generally wins the comparisons as when you put one huge guy next to a short guy, everyone goes "wah".

So why didnt Gunter win then?...

So we have these compulsories, then the routine, then the compulsories again but this time next to others..

The rounds need to be "weighted". The emphasis needs to be on how pleasing a physique is, so the alone compulsories and routine have the most weight. The comparisons should be used to split those athletes who may be close on the card.

the way it is today is that equal weight applies to each round, and that means a guy can rank lowly on his own yet still win the show as he blows everyone away in size.

take the results card from the 2003 mr.o

apply weighting to the individual posing rounds, lets say, 5 for the compulsories, 1 for the routine (as its basically a re-run of the compulsories), and a 2 for the comparisons.

we get Big Ron scoring 40
Jay gets 80
Dex gets 125 (note that Jay and Ron beat Dex in the individual compulsories)
James gets 157

This is a great example showing that BB judging is a mess.

suppose dex and James out post Jay in the first and second rounds..

the scores could be

Dex = 90
Jay = 135
James = 140.

this is simply by weighting aesthetics more than size.

and so on..ive written enough.