Author Topic: Protein and pH levels  (Read 1391 times)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Protein and pH levels
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:22:02 AM »
I was speaking with my chiropractor, who also happens to be a neurologist, about my wife, who is experiencing some pretty significant symptoms of fatigue.  She used to be able to train pretty intensely, but now she struggles to make it through a 45-minute workout.  Nothing has really changed other than she delivered my son last September, her diet is a moderately-high protein, moderate carbs and fat diet.  She's had it suggested to get her thyroid checked for hyperactivity, as well as chronic fatigue (which runs in her family).  My chiro suggested checking her pH, as since she takes in a good amount of protein he thinks it can be making her levels drop toward the acidic end of things.  However, we checked mine and it's a 7.0 - right in the middle, and I get between 200-250 grams a day and have for several years.  I'm not all that well-versed on the topic, is there any research to back up a correlation between protein consumption and decreased pH levels?  Would this explain the potential correlation between high protein diets and decreased kidney function?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Protein and pH levels
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:23:46 PM »
protein is acidic while things like leafy greens are alkaline. a high protein diet will lead to a acidic ph level without adequate counteracting alkaline intake. a high protein diet will NOT adversely effect kidney functions, HOWEVER if your kidney already has existing issues, then a high protein diet can be unhealthy in those certain individuals.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »
I was speaking with my chiropractor, who also happens to be a neurologist, about my wife, who is experiencing some pretty significant symptoms of fatigue.  She used to be able to train pretty intensely, but now she struggles to make it through a 45-minute workout.  Nothing has really changed other than she delivered my son last September, her diet is a moderately-high protein, moderate carbs and fat diet.  She's had it suggested to get her thyroid checked for hyperactivity, as well as chronic fatigue (which runs in her family).  My chiro suggested checking her pH, as since she takes in a good amount of protein he thinks it can be making her levels drop toward the acidic end of things.  However, we checked mine and it's a 7.0 - right in the middle, and I get between 200-250 grams a day and have for several years.  I'm not all that well-versed on the topic, is there any research to back up a correlation between protein consumption and decreased pH levels?  Would this explain the potential correlation between high protein diets and decreased kidney function?

our bodies are highly equipped to deal with acid, we get rid of acid exceptionally well. You would want to get her bicarbonate, electrolyte (sodium, chloride, potassium), some respiratory tests like CO2 output etc... to see if she is actively trying to rid herself of acid. You can check blood ph also. These tests will determine if she has poor ph balance, i doubt it though. I doubt it is the issue, but thats just my opinion, you rarely see people in clinic with significant acidosis unless they have a chronic disease.

Fatigue is not the only symptom of CFS, and i would be weary of thinking that was issue. General adenopathy(inflammed lymph nodes) sore throat, myalgias, tension headaches, significant sleep disturbance, and virtual coma after training would be evident.

is she stressed greatly? any possible depression or mood issues? hows her sleep?

Cooker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 02:05:35 PM »
From what I understand, the body does a great job of maintaining homeostasis of the pH of the blood and your food intake will not have much of an impact on the pH of blood.  However it can have an an impact on the pH of certain tissues in your body.  How did the doc recommend checking pH?

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 08:58:23 PM »
our bodies are highly equipped to deal with acid, we get rid of acid exceptionally well. You would want to get her bicarbonate, electrolyte (sodium, chloride, potassium), some respiratory tests like CO2 output etc... to see if she is actively trying to rid herself of acid. You can check blood ph also. These tests will determine if she has poor ph balance, i doubt it though. I doubt it is the issue, but thats just my opinion, you rarely see people in clinic with significant acidosis unless they have a chronic disease.

Fatigue is not the only symptom of CFS, and i would be weary of thinking that was issue. General adenopathy(inflammed lymph nodes) sore throat, myalgias, tension headaches, significant sleep disturbance, and virtual coma after training would be evident.

is she stressed greatly? any possible depression or mood issues? hows her sleep?

The reason CFS was suggested is that she has a family history of it - her mom has fibromyalgia and CFS, along with arthritis and some other things.  The problem is that her mom was adopted so there's no verification of her family tree to check for more history of those issues.

She's been significantly stressed lately - she's finishing up a kineseology degree and we're dealing with some financial issues including a deadbeat roommate who can't pay rent on time and has no job.  However she's gone through worse and never experienced this.  The biggest change is her pregnancy - that seemed to be the event that began the fatigue.  She's also lighter than she was pre-pregnancy.  She was about 131-132 when she got pregnant, but is down to 119-121 13 months after childbirth.  She didn't vary her routine to lose the weight, in fact she probably worked out less and ate worse than before.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 09:00:36 PM »
protein is acidic while things like leafy greens are alkaline. a high protein diet will lead to a acidic ph level without adequate counteracting alkaline intake. a high protein diet will NOT adversely effect kidney functions, HOWEVER if your kidney already has existing issues, then a high protein diet can be unhealthy in those certain individuals.

I have always believed that about high protein diets, however, I am curious because my wife believes that her protein intake is the culprit, and she's getting the info from one of her kineseology professors, who is some fancy phD and claims that anything over 2g/kg of bodyweight will basically kill you in a year.  I have yet to find a study on individuals with healthy kidneys that would prove it, but would love to find some data to convince my wife she has nothing to worry about.