Author Topic: 240 vs Lift  (Read 1087 times)

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
240 vs Lift
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:29:59 AM »
240...how come you arent doing the xtra stuff that lift does in the industry...given you are building web sites and promoting? 
Oh...Monica!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: 240 vs Lift
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:59:50 AM »
I don't get to travel to shows and do the photog thing.  LIFT is very good at what he does.

I like to stay home and work odd hours.  I go to local NPC shows and hit the PBW Tampa Pro this year, but I hate flying...

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 12:01:37 AM »
seriously, more than half the battle for you must be to sniff around for leads on gigs,.,i once pursued website creation with the design skills i had at the time, but after putting a phony ad up on craigslist (to see what my competition would be), i was slammed into a nasty reality: seemingly thousands of people responding to my ad showing better skills than me, many people offering to do my site for cheaper than what i'd planned to charge for a site.  i was like 'fuck this'   

io856

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 12:07:18 AM »
Thats an interesting point sarcastic deity, so 240 on that note were do you attract the bulk of customers? Of course without giving too much away.

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 01:02:07 AM »
i think it can be done, but you have to be in salesman mode 24/7 - convincing everyone that his business needs a better website...or a website, period.  believe it or not, to this day, lots of businesses and organizations still don't have a site.   

???

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »
another angle is to maintain websites, especially sites that have continually changing content

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »
i went to my local small business development center.  they have weekly seminars for new small business owners.  I learned a lot during the seminars.  There is a list of new business licenses that is released each week - it's part of public record.  You can locate that and contact them each week. 

Also, google your city's chamber of commerce.  There are hundreds of businesses in there.  You can view their websites, and see which are good, and which are bad.  Email or call them - or stop in with a card - and just let them know you're available.

Working for a company will help too - learn the ropes of sales, marketing, maintenance, then start your own thing.  In my early days, I was hired by 2 local firms - I worked a week and learned everything then quit.  Also I took a 3-month assignment as a dotnetnuke project manager - and i hate programming - just to pile on experience and learn from everyone on the team.  I had 8 guys form pakistan, all with degrees, and I learned everything I could from them.

Most importantly diversify.  I write articles, build sites, build networks, do grpahics, play music, and a few other jobs to make a living.  When you work for yourself, it's stressful.  When the news talks about a recession, nobody buys.  When they don't everyone buys.  It's highs and lows, ebbs and flows.  Very stressful, but it's nice being able to work in my PJs and read getbig and work whatever hours I wish.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 01:04:18 PM »
Thats an interesting point sarcastic deity, so 240 on that note were do you attract the bulk of customers? Of course without giving too much away.

word of mouth.  I've never done any advertising.  I used to cold-call, but haven't done that in 2 years.  I just keep working, and it comes in, highs and lows.  I know I'd get more business if I advertised in the paper locally, etc, but just haven't gone that route. 

jehwit

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 02:47:29 PM »
I don't get to travel to shows and do the photog thing.  LIFT is very good at what he does.

I like to stay home and work odd hours.  I go to local NPC shows and hit the PBW Tampa Pro this year, but I hate flying...

why don't you throw some of yourself up here...stud