Author Topic: Iceland acts to avoid bank chaos  (Read 662 times)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Iceland acts to avoid bank chaos
« on: October 07, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »
Iceland's parliament has passed emergency legislation to try to salvage the country's banking system.
In a televised address to the nation, Prime Minister Geir Haarde said the legislation would help the island avoid national bankruptcy.

Iceland will also offer an unlimited guarantee for all bank customers' savings accounts.
The moves come after trading in six of Iceland's biggest banks and financial firms was temporarily halted.

Banks dominate Iceland's economy, leaving the island of just 300,000 people heavily exposed to the global credit squeeze.
Under the legislation, Iceland's financial regulator will have wide-ranging powers to dictate a bank's operations and could even force it to merge with another company or declare bankruptcy.

The bill will also allow the government to take over housing loans held by the banks and put in a government fund.
"We were faced with the real possibility that the national economy would be sucked into the global banking swell and end in national bankruptcy," Mr Haarde said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7655227.stm

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Iceland acts to avoid bank chaos
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 01:28:26 AM »
Iceland's parliament has passed emergency legislation to try to salvage the country's banking system.
In a televised address to the nation, Prime Minister Geir Haarde said the legislation would help the island avoid national bankruptcy.

Iceland will also offer an unlimited guarantee for all bank customers' savings accounts.
The moves come after trading in six of Iceland's biggest banks and financial firms was temporarily halted.

Banks dominate Iceland's economy, leaving the island of just 300,000 people heavily exposed to the global credit squeeze.
Under the legislation, Iceland's financial regulator will have wide-ranging powers to dictate a bank's operations and could even force it to merge with another company or declare bankruptcy.

The bill will also allow the government to take over housing loans held by the banks and put in a government fund.
"We were faced with the real possibility that the national economy would be sucked into the global banking swell and end in national bankruptcy," Mr Haarde said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7655227.stm

300,000 people are easier to handle than 300,000,000. I like Iceland; lived there for a bit.
I hate the State.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 01:32:20 AM »
300,000 people are easier to handle than 300,000,000. I like Iceland; lived there for a bit.

Another place I love to visit one time.

The monetary system is corrupt. It can not survive, it has to go.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »

I want to visit Iceland too. Seems like it would be a pretty cool place to visit for a week...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:28:14 AM »
I spent 4 days there, every chick is hot. Its friggen ridiculous.
L

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »
Bjork is not hot.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:44:17 AM »
Ok look somebody was bound to find one or two trolls.
L

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 11:49:07 AM »
Rumor has it Bjork was a neo-con ploy planted buy the CIA to destabilize the nation and promote racial homogeny....

...or something.  240 help me out here......