Author Topic: Was Sikh's religious freedom violated when his hair was cut in jail?  (Read 2816 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."

http://www.news4jax.com/news/17636595/detail.html

My take: If his religious freedom was so important to him, then he would not have committed the crime that sent him to jail. 

Break some laws and there are consequences...and in most cases, the consequences aren't intended to make the criminals happy.

m8

• Getbig V
Re: Was Sikh's religious freedom violated when his hair was cut in jail?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:55:58 AM »

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 06:56:48 AM »
Maybe, but has anyone ever had their cross taken from them for committing a crime?

I mean, I understand where you're coming from, and I agree to an extent... but think about Christian forms of religion. Do those people have fundamental things about their religion forcefully removed because they commit a crime?

We're talking about Sikhism, not Muslim here either... Sikh is a completely non-violent religion.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:00:47 AM »
Maybe, but has anyone ever had their cross taken from them for committing a crime?

I mean, I understand where you're coming from, and I agree to an extent... but think about Christian forms of religion. Do those people have fundamental things about their religion forcefully removed because they commit a crime?

We're talking about Sikhism, not Muslim here either... Sikh is a completely non-violent religion.

Do you think the average American can differentiate between the two?

That being said, IF the jail's policy is to take all jewelry (which is the case at many jails), then yes, the crosses are taken during intake, too. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 07:09:52 AM »
Do you think the average American can differentiate between the two?

That being said, IF the jail's policy is to take all jewelry (which is the case at many jails), then yes, the crosses are taken during intake, too. 
Of course the "average american" can't differentiate... That's part of the problem.

Too much damn "average" running shit.

Does jewelry always get taken? Possibly, but I'd like someone to show that to me. I'm pretty sure that in the US, a cross would get a pass.

I am also pretty sure it's reasonably easy to get a cross back, not so much to restore 20+ years of hair.

In the general sense though, I think this is a stupid point to be making... It would make much more sense for people to focus on the fact he committed a crime, but I do see why some would be upset.

I'd probably tell him to shut up too.

Oh, and I do agree with the safety standpoint, but I can't imagine how unsafe having hair is... Maybe a lice thing?

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:31:04 AM »
"I am from Afghanistan and in my country it is perfectly acceptable to beat your wife."

:-\ :-\
A

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 09:36:59 AM »
"I am from Afghanistan Arkansas and in my country it is perfectly acceptable to beat your wife."

:-\ :-\

Fixed  ;D
\

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »
http://www.news4jax.com/news/17636595/detail.html

My take: If his religious freedom was so important to him, then he would not have committed the crime that sent him to jail. 

Break some laws and there are consequences...and in most cases, the consequences aren't intended to make the criminals happy.

Fuck him and any other criminal.  Once you break the law and are convicted FUCK your religious rights cause all you are is a piece of shit.  You are not religious you are just hiding behind religion

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:52:07 AM »
What about the problems in sri lanka honey? How like the sikhs are killing tons of israelis over there?

ag2

• Getbig III
  • President of the Peanut gallery.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:54:10 AM »
Fuck him and any other criminal.  Once you break the law and are convicted FUCK your religious rights cause all you are is a piece of shit.  You are not religious you are just hiding behind religion

Epic ignorant and racist meltdown from lonely me?   :-\