Author Topic: Pre-During-Post workout shakes, which is the best?  (Read 6840 times)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
Re: Pre-During-Post workout shakes, which is the best?
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 10:13:25 AM »
what i do for gaining...

meal, solid food = 80-100g carbs & 40g protein

1½-2h later train

Pwo shake, dex + whey = 80g carbs & 40g protein

1-2h later, solid food = 50-60g carbs & 40g protein
tank u jesus

ASJChaotic

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 11:07:17 AM »
what i do for gaining...

meal, solid food = 80-100g carbs & 40g protein

1½-2h later train

Pwo shake, dex + whey = 80g carbs & 40g protein

1-2h later, solid food = 50-60g carbs & 40g protein
ya I like solid food too
I'd rather eat
4 cups of rice  with a chicken breast than (gatorade with whey)

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »
only do a preworkout if my diet was lacking that day and need some convenient nutrition...just started doing creatine mono mixed with some gatorade powder and start drinking that toward the end of my workout followed by whey isolate pwo combined w/ 2 slices of white bread when i get home.. so far so good

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »
ya I like solid food too
I'd rather eat
4 cups of rice  with a chicken breast than (gatorade with whey)

post workout you could cut ou the dextrose and eat 4 cups white rice, chicken breast, and have a whey protein shake with it (50-60 g) if you wanted. same thing.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »
post workout you could cut ou the dextrose and eat 4 cups white rice, chicken breast, and have a whey protein shake with it (50-60 g) if you wanted. same thing.
ya I think I'll do that I like solid food better

io856

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 10:06:26 PM »
Is it true that when you consume fats or protein with a carbohydrate source you slow the rate of digestion? So for example by removing the fats from milk you raise the GI of the milk.

Its just I remember candi was talking about somebody's PWO shake and said the different foods digest separately.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 12:17:27 AM »
Never had a "during workout shake"...

lol, i once had gatorade and felt sick during the workout. If i drink anything other than water, i feel "funny" in the stomach.
No doubt about it...

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 01:18:15 AM »
Is it true that when you consume fats or protein with a carbohydrate source you slow the rate of digestion? So for example by removing the fats from milk you raise the GI of the milk.

Its just I remember candi was talking about somebody's PWO shake and said the different foods digest separately.
yes exxactly a nutrient is always digested at the fastest rate possible.. your bodies ability to metabolize glucose is the same whether or not dietary fat is present in the digestive tract..  its true that nutrients can effect the 'transit times' of other nutrients.. how fast they are actually movin across the stomach and intestines.. but to actually effect abosrbtion rate it a different matter...now dietary fiber can actually do this to glucose, but only when its naturally intertwined.. the idea that combing a source of fibr with a simpl starch slows the simple starch is flawed.. the fibr must be part of the gluose structure... like broccoli or carrots or aples or corn for example..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the above is how i understand it to be. i may be wrong, its possible, ive been wrong before

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008, 09:40:40 PM »
Atlarge nutrition's opticen..none better!

CAPTAIN INSANO

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »
Gaspari SizeOn works weel for me ;D

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2008, 05:54:02 PM »
chocolatemilk motherfuckers.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 03:46:54 PM »
My secret...  ;D

Seriously. These products work!  8)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »
maximus from atlarge nutrition tends to be my very first meal of the day and sometimes the only meal i have before i train along with results creatine product and I feel DAMN GOOD in the gym... if i'm working out later though i'll have a shake and my results or a meal..usually some kinda meat and naked baked potato then have a shake post workout instead. All depends on how the day is going and how i'm feeling.

HOLLIDAE

• Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »
for mass
go to a store and buy some bulk dextrose. its cheap, its ideal source of carbs (pure glucose)..

what store sells that??

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 11:50:18 AM »
what store sells that??

most grocery stores, should be no problem to find.
tank u jesus

HOLLIDAE

• Getbig II
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 12:34:16 PM »
most grocery stores, should be no problem to find.
i assume i the baking section?  i will look today

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2008, 01:16:15 PM »
what store sells that??

If not go to www.trueprotein.com or www.proteinfactory.com it's in the neighborhood of 2-3 dollars a pound & you can add flavors to it.

Markoni

• Getbig II
  • trueprotein discount code MOU110
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2008, 10:57:54 PM »
I would suggest taking WMS for carb source for PWO , works better for me then  dextrose

suckmymuscle

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2008, 12:03:44 PM »
Pre-During-Post workout shakes, which is the best?

Post, no doubt. You shouldn't eat anything for at least 2 hours before training as the process of digestion will take blood away from your muscles to your stomach, and the same thing for during. Your glycogen stores should be full when you start your workout, and you shouldn't try to fill them 3 hours before going to the gym, not only because it's impossible - as it takes 24 hours for ingested carbs to be stored as glycogen - but for the reason I already explained that digestion hinders training energy. There is also a psychological reason why you should take it post workout: the drink rich in simple carbs will be a reward for your efforts lifting iron, and you will work hard to earn it. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

ASJChaotic

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 01:45:27 PM »
  Post, no doubt. You shouldn't eat anything for at least 2 hours before training as the process of digestion will take blood away from your muscles to your stomach, and the same thing for during. Your glycogen stores should be full when you start your workout, and you shouldn't try to fill them 3 hours before going to the gym, not only because it's impossible - as it takes 24 hours for ingested carbs to be stored as glycogen - but for the reason I already explained that digestion hinders training energy. There is also a psychological reason why you should take it post workout: the drink rich in simple carbs will be a reward for your efforts lifting iron, and you will work hard to earn it. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE
really?  :o I never knew that
but simple carbs after workout will be broken down immediately? not 24 hours later?  I guess that's glucose not glycogen...right?  ???

I'll earn Gatorade after lifting heavy Iron ....frigging awesome  :D ..... >:(  ;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »
really?  :o I never knew that
but simple carbs after workout will be broken down immediately? not 24 hours later?  I guess that's glucose not glycogen...right?  ???

I'll earn Gatorade after lifting heavy Iron ....frigging awesome  :D ..... >:(  ;D

Well, the processes of digestion, assimilation and synthesis together take roughly 24 hours. That is, if you eat a steak after training it will take roughly 24 hours for the protein of the beef to be converted into actin and myosin to repair your muscle fibers. It might in fact, take up to 3 days depending on mitigating circumstances.

As for glucose, it is an exception because it is the simplest sugar that the body can use - and the only one of the brain uses - so it's assimilation is much faster because glucose requires no digestion. This coupled with the fact that glucose spikes insulin strongly, makes it formidable in boosting glycogen stores since insulin sensitizes receptors in the muscles responsible to storing glycogen.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2008, 04:30:22 PM »
no no no.. glycogen synthesis can happen within minutes... does not take no 24 hours... beeff can take up to a day because beef can take up to a day to fully digest... man where do you get some of this info ? do you just make it up ?

suckmymuscle

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2008, 04:41:55 PM »
no no no.. glycogen synthesis can happen within minutes... does not take no 24 hours... beeff can take up to a day because beef can take up to a day to fully digest... man where do you get some of this info ? do you just make it up ?

Again, if you had read my post you'd see I mentioned that glucose is an exception because it is absorbed very quickly. The conversion of complex carbs with long chains takes much longer because it has to be digested and broken down into simpler carbs firsts. Don't pass judgement on a post before thoroughly reading and understanding it.
And please show me where I am wrong about this as a general rule. Pick up any text in physiology and you will see that the processes of digestion, assimilation and synthesis take a conbined 24 hours.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2008, 04:44:06 PM »
umn, by complex carb do you mean broccoli or romain lettuce? because no stachy carb like brown rice or oatmeal is going to take 24 hours to digest and be sent into glycogen stores.  have you ever used a glucometer after you eat ? dude shit happens pretty damn quickly it doesnt take no 24 hours..

ASJChaotic

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2008, 04:50:54 PM »
  Again, if you had read my post you'd see I mentioned that glucose is an exception because it is absorbed very quickly. The conversion of complex carbs with long chains takes much longer because it has to be digested and broken down into simpler carbs firsts. Don't pass judgement on a post before thoroughly reading and understanding it.
And please show me where I am wrong about this as a general rule. Pick up any text in physiology and you will see that the processes of digestion, assimilation and synthesis take a conbined 24 hours.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
your post doesn't even make sense  ???
24 hours for carbs to digest
so if you eat like a bowl of rice you won't feel the energy until next day?  :D
it's common sense, I'd love to see the study where they prove it takes 24 hours