Author Topic: Pre-During-Post workout shakes, which is the best?  (Read 6886 times)

ASJChaotic

Pre-During-Post workout shakes, which is the best?
« on: October 09, 2008, 02:14:03 PM »
which is better to take?
is it a combination of Pre and Post shake?
is it a During workout shake
in order to get that protein and carbs to the muscle

are the shakes even required or do they benefit in any way?

cuz each shake would be 500 cals and that's 2 shakes 1000 calories and that would only leave me wtih 3000 calories left out of 4000
I could be eating that 1000 calories from foods I like rather than Whey, Sugar and Gatorade

what do you guys think

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Pre-During-Post workout shakes, which is the best?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
for mass
go to a store and buy some bulk dextrose. its cheap, its ideal source of carbs (pure glucose).. and also for how it is so cheap  :D combine 200g dextrose 100 g whey isolate and drink that starting 30 mins prior to workout all the way through your workout then whatever is left at the end just pound that shit.

for cutting
50g whey isolate mixed with 10 g mct oils 45 mins pre workout
**thats it**

ASJChaotic

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:38:07 PM »
for mass
go to a store and buy some bulk dextrose. its cheap, its ideal source of carbs (pure glucose).. and also for how it is so cheap  :D combine 200g dextrose 100 g whey isolate and drink that starting 30 mins prior to workout all the way through your workout then whatever is left at the end just pound that shit.

for cutting
**thats it**

thanks for the advice, you really seem to know your stuff bro
would sugar work as well as dextrose? pure glucose too right? I'll look for it in my superstore if they have dextrose
I would need a big ass shaker bottle for that, wouldn't I? how much water would you mix that in? 1 liter?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »
most sugar like as in sgar cane or table sugar is sucrose which is combo fructose and glucose... ideally you want pure gluoce as glucose can go to BOTH muscle and liver while fructose can ONLY go to liver..  however if you dont have some sort of glucose (dextrose, maltodextrin, waxy maize, ) then using regular sugar is OKAY... gatorade would be better as gatorade is the same thing expect wit added dextrose so the ratio of glucose to fructose is more beneficial..

ASJChaotic

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 03:52:59 PM »
for mass

for cutting
**thats it**

and how do you feel about "wait until all glucose is depleted and your muscles want sugar cuz they will take up more" and people who say pre and or during workout shakes are ineffective?
I tried the "heavy weights" method 6-8 reps with out much results (even though I got stronger) so I'm changed to the 8-12 reps now with high volume and more blood in that muscle and I gained 1 inch in my arms in less than a month, and I don't want to send empty blood to my muscles
so yeah pre, during and post workout around 1200 calories that shake that you recommended right? good thing I need 4000 just to maintain :D

ASJChaotic

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 03:54:38 PM »
most sugar like as in sgar cane or table sugar is sucrose which is combo fructose and glucose... ideally you want pure gluoce as glucose can go to BOTH muscle and liver while fructose can ONLY go to liver..  however if you dont have some sort of glucose (dextrose, maltodextrin, waxy maize, ) then using regular sugar is OKAY... gatorade would be better as gatorade is the same thing expect wit added dextrose so the ratio of glucose to fructose is more beneficial..
LOL I was just about to ask you if gatorade would be good in the shake
are dextrose maltodextrin available in just any store or would they be have to be ordered on a site?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 03:58:23 PM »
maybe the muscle might take up more but that isnt any real indication of growth.. your better off with those anti catabolic carbs in yoru blood while your lifting and potentially doing al that damage to your muscles..  youll grow much better going with than gong without..
if mass is what you want...big thick mass .. then you still should lift heavy at least one movement (pick a basic compound movements best done with a barbell of some kind) in yoru workouts.. the rest can be pump training that is good for sure.. but heavy weights help thicken you up faster..

most gncs are over priced on their bulk carbohydrates..some max muscles have good deals on bulk carbs...vitamin shoppe has some on sale (malto) right now... but you should be ale to call around to laoocal grocery or baking shoops and buy some dextrose..

ASJChaotic

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 04:00:50 PM »
maybe the muscle might take up more but that isnt any real indication of growth.. your better off with those anti catabolic carbs in yoru blood while your lifting and potentially doing al that damage to your muscles..  youll grow much better going with than gong without..
if mass is what you want...big thick mass .. then you still should lift heavy at least one movement (pick a basic compound movements best done with a barbell of some kind) in yoru workouts.. the rest can be pump training that is good for sure.. but heavy weights help thicken you up faster..

most gncs are over priced on their bulk carbohydrates..some max muscles have good deals on bulk carbs...vitamin shoppe has some on sale (malto) right now... but you should be ale to call around to laoocal grocery or baking shoops and buy some dextrose..
tbombz you are wise.....very wise
almost as wise as ########### himself  ;D your secret is safe with me  ;)

ASJChaotic

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 04:16:16 PM »

GNC is overpriced on EVERYTHING  >:(
I very much agree with you on the pre/during/after shake
as far as heavy weights go how do you feel about "pyramid" where you have high reps and low reps with heavy weights in it?
kind of like what Kevin Levrone did  8)

ASJChaotic

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 04:19:32 PM »
how much water do you mix the 200g of dextrose and 100 g of protein with?
by the way I see you got the 2:1 ratio of carb and protein down  ;D

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 04:38:59 PM »
how much water do you mix the 200g of dextrose and 100 g of protein with?
by the way I see you got the 2:1 ratio of carb and protein down  ;D

16oz should be fine.  I use that for my PWO shake, but it's 200g of Karbolyn.  I usually just down some BCAA's before I train, I don't drink anything while working out though.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 04:47:32 PM »
16oz should be fine.  I use that for my PWO shake, but it's 200g of Karbolyn.  I usually just down some BCAA's before I train, I don't drink anything while working out though.
wouldn't that be a VERY concentrated shake?  :o
that's 500 ml of water with 200 grams of sugar and 100 grams of protein in it LOL  ;D
can we just eat candy bars instead of sugar? hahahahahahhaahhahahaha

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 05:06:41 PM »
Seriously, you're making this way too complicated. What are your goals?

ASJChaotic

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 05:16:26 PM »
Seriously, you're making this way too complicated. What are your goals?

;D
getting the maximum muscle growth out of every workout
I have to find the best way to do it

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 05:28:04 PM »
;D
getting the maximum muscle growth out of every workout
I have to find the best way to do it

From your pics. You need it.  ;D Just messin' with you.

Anyway, why don't you experiment with what works for you? Try a little of this & a little of that & see what happens. Give each method five or six weeks & if it doesn't meet your needs move on.

For example:

Average training day for me: (sometimes things change a little here & there)
I can't eat within 1-2 hours before training (makes me ill when training). About ten minutes before training I drink my homemade NO drink. While lifting I drink a shake containing about 7.5 grams of taurine, 7.5 grams of L-Tyrosine, & 5 grams of Arginine Powder. After lifting I like to hit the Sauna & I'll usually have a coupe tablespoons of my trueprotein mix (25% waxy maize, 25% malto, 20% BCAA's, 20% EAA's, & 10% l-leucine). Adds up to about 10grams of carbs & 10 grams of various proteins. Then I head home for a real meal or another protein shake depending on what's on my agenda for the day.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 05:37:35 PM »
From your pics. You need it.  ;D Just messin' with you.

Anyway, why don't you experiment with what works for you? Try a little of this & a little of that & see what happens. Give each method five or six weeks & if it doesn't meet your needs move on.

For example:

Average training day for me: (sometimes things change a little here & there)
I can't eat within 1-2 hours before training (makes me ill when training). About ten minutes before training I drink my homemade NO drink. While lifting I drink a shake containing about 7.5 grams of taurine, 7.5 grams of L-Tyrosine, & 5 grams of Arginine Powder. After lifting I like to hit the Sauna & I'll usually have a coupe tablespoons of my trueprotein mix (25% waxy maize, 25% malto, 20% BCAA's, 20% EAA's, & 10% l-leucine). Adds up to about 10grams of carbs & 10 grams of various proteins. Then I head home for a real meal or another protein shake depending on what's on my agenda for the day.
ya nice going, I'm trying to find the best method to cause the most muscle growth
there are so many frigging theories out there  >:(
har har har about the "you need it" comment  ;D

A2daMIR

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 05:39:07 PM »
for mass

for cutting
**thats it**

Dextrose 30 min BEFORE workout?? thats F'ed up IMO. you dont wanna spike your insuling BEFORE workout.

which is better to take?
is it a combination of Pre and Post shake?
is it a During workout shake
in order to get that protein and carbs to the muscle

are the shakes even required or do they benefit in any way?

cuz each shake would be 500 cals and that's 2 shakes 1000 calories and that would only leave me wtih 3000 calories left out of 4000
I could be eating that 1000 calories from foods I like rather than Whey, Sugar and Gatorade

what do you guys think
Well you keep saying SHAKE, and im assuming you want something fast and simple? if thats the case, i would buy Sliced 100% whole Wheat bread, have a couple of slices of that with your  40-50g protein shake ( again, assuming you want something simple and easy to make, if you have the luxary, make that a turkey sandwich but dont be adding any mayo or veggies)

after workout, then you can use dextrose or maltodextrin  (40 - 60g or depending on your body, im carb sensitive)  + 40-60 g protein.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 05:42:07 PM »
ya nice going, I'm trying to find the best method to cause the most muscle growth
there are so many frigging theories out there
 >:(
har har har about the "you need it" comment  ;D

Exactly, the key is to figure out what works best. You're right there are a ton of theories & such out there. Most can be sound but some may not work for you.

BTW - I don't think I've seen your pics. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 05:43:49 PM »
GNC is overpriced on EVERYTHING  >:(
I very much agree with you on the pre/during/after shake
as far as heavy weights go how do you feel about "pyramid" where you have high reps and low reps with heavy weights in it?
kind of like what Kevin Levrone did  8)
yeah i do pyramid sets.. they are good

i train like this..
most of the time i start with an isolation movement like say rope pull downs for triceps then i do a few light weight pump sets and get as much blood into the triceps as i can in those sets.. then i head ovcer to a compound movement like incline bench over head french press or close grip bemnch press or two hand one dumbell  behind the neck extensions....   then i do a few sets going from light to heavy then when i reasch a heavy weight ill do normally 2 heavy sets then most of the time i train pump style with intensity techinques like drop sets negatives  rest pause etc etc untill i feel like the muscle is completely pumped and completely exhausted...

you could split that shake up into three seperate shakes two shakes or one big shake, dont matter... use whatever youd liket o make it taste better..

ASJChaotic

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
yeah i do pyramid sets.. they are good

i train like this..
most of the time i start with an isolation movement like say rope pull downs for triceps then i do a few light weight pump sets and get as much blood into the triceps as i can in those sets.. then i head ovcer to a compound movement like incline bench over head french press or close grip bemnch press or two hand one dumbell  behind the neck extensions....   then i do a few sets going from light to heavy then when i reasch a heavy weight ill do normally 2 heavy sets then most of the time i train pump style with intensity techinques like drop sets negatives  rest pause etc etc untill i feel like the muscle is completely pumped and completely exhausted...

you could split that shake up into three seperate shakes two shakes or one big shake, dont matter... use whatever youd liket o make it taste better..
ya, I'm just trying to see what works best for me, there are millions of ways you can workout so many combinations
I combine heavy sets with normal sets with moderate reps then at the end I'll do a 2 tri-sets to completely exhaust the muscle
as markdavis would say "lets get these sumbitch muscles growing"  >:(  ;D

ASJChaotic

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 06:05:36 PM »
Exactly, the key is to figure out what works best. You're right there are a ton of theories & such out there. Most can be sound but some may not work for you.

BTW - I don't think I've seen your pics. 
I think you might be the only person on getbig who hasn't  ;D

My pose  8)
no body touches me in this pose, combined with the best legs in Getbig III it's gonna blow the judges away  :D

AVBG

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 01:55:00 AM »
As Rim has said you're making this way too difficult..first and formost define your goals...bigger or leaner? trying both at the same time isn't practical asides if you could do it successfully you wouldn't be so confused and posting as much as you do.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 05:35:23 AM »
As Rim has said you're making this way too difficult..first and formost define your goals...bigger or leaner? trying both at the same time isn't practical asides if you could do it successfully you wouldn't be so confused and posting as much as you do.
well I want to get shredded and gain muscle at the same time, is that too much to ask for?  :D  ;D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 09:50:17 AM »
thank you whoever deleted my post from this morning. i regretted it when i woke up realizing how quickly i ahd written that without really stressing enough the dangers..  :)

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 09:53:17 AM »
thank you whoever deleted my post from this morning. i regretted it when i woke up realizing how quickly i ahd written that without really stressing enough the dangers..  :)

No problem. DO NOT promote the use of insulin here.