Author Topic: John McCain was booed by his own supporters for calling Obama "decent"  (Read 4385 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
McCain Faces Backlash Over Rabid Crowds
John McCain was booed by his own supporters during a rally on Friday after he described Barack Obama as a "decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared of as president of the United States."

McCain was responding to a town hall attendee who claimed he was concerned about raising a child under a president who "cohorts with domestic terrorists such as [Bill] Ayers." Despite the fact that McCain and his campaign have repeatedly used Ayers to hammer Obama in recent days, the Arizona Senator tried to calm the man.

"[Senator Obama] is a decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared about as President of the United States," he said, before adding: "If I didn't think I would be one heck of a better president I wouldn't be running."

The crowd groaned with disapproval.

Later, McCain was again pressed about Obama's "other-ness" and again he refused to play ball. "I don't trust Obama," a woman said. "I have read about him. He's an Arab."

"No, ma'am," McCain said several times, shaking his head in disagreement. "He's a decent, family man, [a] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues and that's what this campaign is all about."

At another point, McCain declared, "If you want a fight, we will fight. But we will be respectful. I admire Sen. Obama and his accomplishments." Supporters booed then also. "I don't mean that has to reduce your ferocity," McCain responded. "I just mean to say you have to be respectful."

The episode reflected the intensity of the anger that many McCain-Palin supporters have for Obama -- anger that was stoked, in large part, by McCain itself. It also underscored just how difficult a situation McCain has walked himself into. Hours before he attempted to calm nerves, the Senator's campaign sent out a statement to reporters defending the remarks of its crowd members.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/10/mccain-defends-his-rabid_n_133710.html

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
Re: John McCain was booed by his own supporters for calling Obama "decent"
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »
He was a cowboy, mister, and he loved the land. He loved it so much he made a woman out of dirt and married her. But when he kissed her, she disintegrated. Later, at the funeral, when the preacher said, 'Dust to dust,' some people laughed, and the cowboy shot them. At his hanging, he told the others, 'I'll be waiting for you in heaven---with a gun
G

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »
now he has to backpeddle all of the hateful rhetoric.

Shame on him and his supporters.
Sandra

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 07:24:24 PM »
He was a cowboy, mister, and he loved the land. He loved it so much he made a woman out of dirt and married her. But when he kissed her, she disintegrated. Later, at the funeral, when the preacher said, 'Dust to dust,' some people laughed, and the cowboy shot them. At his hanging, he told the others, 'I'll be waiting for you in heaven---with a gun

LOL... deep thoughts... by Jack Handy.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 07:34:47 PM »
McCain Faces Backlash Over Rabid Crowds
John McCain was booed by his own supporters during a rally on Friday after he described Barack Obama as a "decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared of as president of the United States."

McCain was responding to a town hall attendee who claimed he was concerned about raising a child under a president who "cohorts with domestic terrorists such as [Bill] Ayers." Despite the fact that McCain and his campaign have repeatedly used Ayers to hammer Obama in recent days, the Arizona Senator tried to calm the man.

"[Senator Obama] is a decent person and a person that you do not have to be scared about as President of the United States," he said, before adding: "If I didn't think I would be one heck of a better president I wouldn't be running."

The crowd groaned with disapproval.

Later, McCain was again pressed about Obama's "other-ness" and again he refused to play ball. "I don't trust Obama," a woman said. "I have read about him. He's an Arab."

"No, ma'am," McCain said several times, shaking his head in disagreement. "He's a decent, family man, [a] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues and that's what this campaign is all about."

At another point, McCain declared, "If you want a fight, we will fight. But we will be respectful. I admire Sen. Obama and his accomplishments." Supporters booed then also. "I don't mean that has to reduce your ferocity," McCain responded. "I just mean to say you have to be respectful."

The episode reflected the intensity of the anger that many McCain-Palin supporters have for Obama -- anger that was stoked, in large part, by McCain itself. It also underscored just how difficult a situation McCain has walked himself into. Hours before he attempted to calm nerves, the Senator's campaign sent out a statement to reporters defending the remarks of its crowd members.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/10/mccain-defends-his-rabid_n_133710.html

I knew McCain couldn't stomach the crap.  Good for him
A

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 04:30:58 AM »
while this could be just another ploy, it did seem genuine. if so it is very heartening to see mccain wake up and try to restore some dignity and respect

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 05:10:18 AM »
This is the man that should have run for president.

Instead he morphed into one of the crowd---the losers that think Swiftboating is real politics, that wearing band-aids with little purple hearts on them and wearing flip-flops are astute spolitical statements.

To the republicans who are that way:  Suicide is an option.  Please clean up our gene pool by doing one goddam noble thing in your miserable lives.  Kill yourself.  It's the only dignified way out.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 07:12:10 AM »

Instead he morphed into one of the crowd---the losers that think Swiftboating is real politics, that wearing band-aids with little purple hearts on them and wearing flip-flops are astute spolitical statements.

To the republicans who are that way:  Suicide is an option.  Please clean up our gene pool by doing one goddam noble thing in your miserable lives.  Kill yourself.  It's the only dignified way out.

There is nothing noble in suicide.

I'm disappointed you'd even make a comment like that, Decker.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 07:41:45 AM »
[...]To the republicans who are that way:  Suicide is an option.  Please clean up our gene pool by doing one goddam noble thing in your miserable lives.  Kill yourself.  It's the only dignified way out.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 07:51:39 AM »

Well said, my friend!  ;D
!

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 07:52:05 AM »

He is right though. Loot at it this way, nowadays we look back at the 1800s and how society was back then, with slavery, lack of any human rights, etc; and just shake our heads in disbelief of why people didn't do anything about it. The difference, socially, between the 1800s and today is understanding. We understand a whole lot more than we did back then. We understand that it is not Ok to enslave people, to give women the same treatment as men, etc.

So when that old hoe got up and said "Obama is an Arab" we, as a nation, just went back to the 1800s. I mean, what can you say to a person that chooses IGNORANCE over knowledge? Killing yourself is a very good alternative option to wasting any more oxygen and cleaning up the gene pool. I'm with Decker on this one.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 08:09:28 AM »
Life just got really confusing for a segment of dumbfounded dipshits out there. They swallowed all the bullshit hook, line and sinker and now McCain has put on his maverick hat and done a 180 on them.

I'm starting to understand what Bill Hicks meant by "serious pockets of humanity"

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 08:16:38 AM »
We understand that it is not Ok to enslave people, to give women the same treatment as men, etc.

We? You got a mouse in your pocket? Speak for yourself.
E

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »

Unless you take out 100 of the bad guys...

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 08:43:56 AM »
Unless you take out 100 of the bad guys...

Huh?

What exactly are you trying to say here?

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 08:52:19 AM »
We? You got a mouse in your pocket? Speak for yourself.

Are you ok with slavery then?

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 08:54:36 AM »
Are you ok with slavery then?

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
E

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 08:55:37 AM »
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

My question is: ARE YOU OK WITH SLAVERY?

It's a YES or NO question, not a multiple choice one.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 08:57:10 AM »
My question is: ARE YOU OK WITH SLAVERY?

It's a YES or NO question, not a multiple choice one.

GFYS
E

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 09:06:07 AM »
Some of these angry "supporters" are the same people who were quick to buy the rumors spread by the previous Bush campaign that McCain fathered and illegitimate black child.  None of it was true.  It's funny now to see McCain trying to cultivate these same people.  ::)

nicky.smth

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Hugo Chavez looks like hugo chavez
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 09:09:03 AM »
Huh?

What exactly are you trying to say here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamikaze

maybe this will enlighten you... 8)

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 09:10:01 AM »

I would disagree with you.  In Classical Antiquity, suicide was viewed as an accepted means out of a life that is hopelessly fucked up.

I'm not talking about suicide due to mental illness.  I'm talking about a choice made with full understanding and knowledge of the impliciations.

Obviously I'm joking.  Bill Hicks made that same joke about marketing professionals.

We seem to have a recalcitrant segment of society that thinks it's just as relevant and good and viable as its intelligent counter-part.  

And I'm here to put an end to that charade.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamikaze

maybe this will enlighten you... 8)

Oh... okay... so innocent women and children in shopping malls are the bad guys.

You're a coward and an idiot.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 09:29:47 AM »
I would disagree with you.  In Classical Antiquity, suicide was viewed as an accepted means out of a life that is hopelessly fucked up.

I'm not talking about suicide due to mental illness.  I'm talking about a choice made with full understanding and knowledge of the impliciations.

Obviously I'm joking.  Bill Hicks made that same joke about marketing professionals.

We seem to have a recalcitrant segment of society that thinks it's just as relevant and good and viable as its intelligent counter-part.  

And I'm here to put an end to that charade.

Well, as always, you're entitled to your opinion, Decker.

It's my opinion that it's a coward's way out.

But hey, at least we're free to disagree here.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »
GFYS

"What we've got here is a problem to communicate. Some people you just can't reach."

Now, come and get it grand wizzard.