Author Topic: Diego Sanchez injured, Koscheck steps in to face Alves  (Read 1826 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Diego Sanchez injured, Koscheck steps in to face Alves
« on: October 13, 2008, 05:44:35 PM »
Diego Sanchez has been forced to withdraw from a highly anticipated welterweight showdown with Thiago Alves at UFC 90.

Sanchez representative Jeff Clark told Sherdog.com that the injury was sustained in a training session last week, and what was originally thought to be a ruptured spleen turned out to be damage to his ribs, possibly to an intercostal muscle or cartilage.

The Oct. 25 card scheduled for the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., will not suffer greatly, however. Fellow welterweight standout Josh Koscheck has agreed to step in for his injured fellow alum from the inaugural season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” While the bout agreement is yet to be signed, parties close to Koscheck and Alves have confirmed to Sherdog.com that the fight has been agreed to.

Sanchez (19-2-0), who dropped two consecutive fights in 2007, had resurrected his title hopes with a pair of victories this year and would have surely been considered a top contender had he been able to derail the streak Alves has been riding.

The popular Alves (15-3-0) has ascended to the top of the welterweight contender’s ranks with consecutive victories over former champion Matt Hughes and Karo Parisyan. He is in the midst of a six-fight winning streak with his last loss coming at the hands of Koscheck’s teammate Jon Fitch in June 2006.

Koscheck (11-2-0), a collegiate wrestling champion, will look to extend his two-fight winning streak and regain the momentum he took into his August 2007 bout with now-UFC champion Georges St. Pierre. Koscheck, viewed by many as an eventual contender will have a chance to leapfrog Sanchez in his quest for a title shot as well as redemption against the last man to beat him.
Predictions
 40/61

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Re: Diego Sanchez injured, Koscheck steps in to face Alves
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:45:45 PM »
I was actually looking foward to this fight, now we get to see Kos lay on Alves for three rounds instead >:(.
Predictions
 40/61

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 07:39:24 PM »
Koscheck is a dead man walking.... Alves' going to murder him.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 08:02:57 PM »
Koscheck is a dead man walking.... Alves' going to murder him.

I hope so, but Thiago has always struggled with good wrestlers.  This fight might look something like Arona vs. Wanderlei 1.
Predictions
 40/61

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »
I hope so, but Thiago has always struggled with good wrestlers. 

if he can get rid of hughes he should'nt have that much trouble with Koscheck

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »
if he can get rid of hughes he should'nt have that much trouble with Koscheck

Koscheck is three times the better wrestler than Matt Hughes ever was.  The thing with Hughes is he was a decent wrestler that did well because he was bigger than most of the 170lbers.  Now everybody cuts what Matt cuts if not more, and his size and strength have just become average.  He didn't evolve with the rest of the division.  Josh's accomplishments as a Div.1 wrestler are sick and his takedowns show it.  His only problem is his ability to do something against good opposition once he gets them down. 
Predictions
 40/61

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 06:52:48 AM »
Koscheck is three times the better wrestler than Matt Hughes ever was.  The thing with Hughes is he was a decent wrestler that did well because he was bigger than most of the 170lbers.  Now everybody cuts what Matt cuts if not more, and his size and strength have just become average.  He didn't evolve with the rest of the division.  Josh's accomplishments as a Div.1 wrestler are sick and his takedowns show it.  His only problem is his ability to do something against good opposition once he gets them down. 

agreed.  I see this as a more competitive matchup with Sanchez outta there.  Really wanted to see Sanchez get his clock cleaned by Alves though...

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 12:17:23 PM »

Kos is head and shoulders a better wrestler than Hughes, especially at this point in his career.  Not to mention Matt got Alves on the ground, Kos will do it with alarming regularity.  His ability to finish will make this a borefest, though.  I hope Thiago catches him.  I am really disappointed Diego got hurt.  Since starting training with Xande, Saulo, his Jits has gotten to be off the chain.  I wanted to see what he would have done against Alves on the ground.  Love him or not, at least Diego tries to finish.  (Humaita love)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:47 PM »
Two fighters I can't stand but I'm going to root for KOS. 
w

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 12:16:24 PM »
I hope Alves will destroy him... I think I am the only guy rooting for him? I think KOS will grind out the Victory as well, but I hope Alves will beat him down.

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 04:13:47 PM »
I hope Alves will destroy him... I think I am the only guy rooting for him? I think KOS will grind out the Victory as well, but I hope Alves will beat him down.

its hard to tell on this one if kos wins i def think it will be by decision. i guess i am kind of rooting for alves also
irongearco.com

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 08:21:10 PM »
I'd love to see kos call out the dogs and throw hands like it's his last fight but he probably won't....

just more wrestling and controlling like he always does until we all wish the fight would be over...

kos is "ground and pound" without the pound

Big Worm

• Getbig IV
  • Really ? You finished turd my flend? Maricon..
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 09:19:40 PM »
I hope so, but Thiago has always struggled with good wrestlers.  This fight might look something like Arona vs. Wanderlei 1.
Did you miss the fight with him,against Hughes?

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 08:00:39 AM »
Did you miss the fight with him,against Hughes?

Matt Hughes by todays standards is not a very good wrestler, when you look at the other 170lbers who are (Jon Fitch,Josh Koscheck,Jake Shields,GSP).  Matt's wrestling has been average for the better part of the last 2 years, which is about the time the new breed of wrestlers entered the picture.  Matt has always been an alright wrestler who cut 30 pounds and used his size as his advantage  (4 or 5 years ago in MMA almost nobody cut that much), now everybody does that, and Matt has not evolved the parts of his game that he needs to hang with the youngbloods.  Thiago had fits with John Alessio,Jon fitch and even Spencer Fisher (who outstruck and then submitted Alves).  Do I hope he beats Koscheck? Yes.  Will he? probably not.  All that time preparing for Diego, just to step in on short notice with the most decorated wrestler in the division is another ballgame. Kos by cautious lay and pray.
Predictions
 40/61