Author Topic: The Magazines  (Read 3585 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
The Magazines
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:35:32 PM »
I hear ya. For the longest time, I had no idea. There were signs, odds things. I have nothing against gays.....my issue is with this whole shit industry as a whole. It's starts with the lying magazines, then it goes to the supplement companies, and then to the competitor's themselves. It's a huge bag of shit. Everyone within it, just winks their eye at each other, and pretend nothing is going on.

You've got the competitors prostituting themselves for drugs, money, and who know what else (drug abusers, and not just anabolics, mind you). You've got crooked judges, fucking and abusing the competitors. You've got the Snake Oil salesmen, who use the huge drug abusers to sell their shit products (all the while, we're being told product X is responsible for their gains and low bf levels). The magazines who seem to always forget to mention that drugs are the BIGGEST ingredient in the bbing cocktail. Then you've got the Feds themselves, the best man in the pageant doesn't always win.

Again, for a while, I was blind to all this. I didn't believe it at first.....but now I know better. It's funny to me how in denial people can be.

So, I'm in the grocery check out aisle this evening and opposite the tabloids are a string of fitness magazines.  I remembered G's post above and I snapped this pic with my iPhone.  It occurred to me that all these magazines look exactly alike; the only thing that changes from month to month are the cover models.  I must have seen that "Lose your Gut" headline (or some variation on it) more than a dozen times over the last year and here it is on two mags side by side!  Apparently everyone in America has a Belly or Gut problem; do these mags ever mention that spot reduction is not possible through diet/exercise?

How do these mags stay in business peddling the same crap month after month for years on end?  I can see buying one or two issues but who subscribes to this stuff?  The hard core BB mags are even more repetitive!  Is there anyone here who hasn't seen the headline "Get ripped!  Now!" a dozen times?

G has it right, this whole fitness industry is a "huge bag of shit."  :(

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: The Magazines
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:37:38 PM »
According to these covers, a woman can see results in 12 days; a man can see results in 8.  ::)

io856

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »
That sort of perspective on the industry comes with 13000 posts on a bodybuilding board. Poor thing should have got into golf or tennis or something.

RC Money

• Getbig III
  • I don't knock on doors...I knock doors down.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »
According to these covers, a woman can see results in 12 days; a man can see results in 8.  ::)
It could happen, starve yourself for 8-12 days and tell me you dont see results ;D

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:49:56 PM »
good points bay.  i remember thinking something similar a while back.  for instance virtually every md cover has some variation of 'get huge arms' on it

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »

You see with that specific headline i can understand WHY the market it with different key words.

As a man (and they would do market research for even this type of thing) Gut is something you can relate to candidly but at the same time seriously. And as a woman body image, although there are similar pressures socially, they are higher, so they tend to use a lighter touch and words with less impact (See cute in the dictionary) it's all about the catch phrases and words and I'm guessing that males can lose bodyfat faster than females just due to averages on more muscle/faster metabolisms etc etc.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 10:11:27 PM »
Remember this scene from Bigger, Faster Stronger...?

In it, Rick says that 80-90% of all the stuff you see in fitness magazines is complete and total BS!  :(

Remember, those before & after pix were taken on the same day and simply photoshopped.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 10:52:50 PM »
So, I'm in the grocery check out aisle this evening and opposite the tabloids are a string of fitness magazines.  I remembered G's post above and I snapped this pic with my iPhone.  It occurred to me that all these magazines look exactly alike; the only thing that changes from month to month are the cover models.  I must have seen that "Lose your Gut" headline (or some variation on it) more than a dozen times over the last year and here it is on two mags side by side!  Apparently everyone in America has a Belly or Gut problem; do these mags ever mention that spot reduction is not possible through diet/exercise?

How do these mags stay in business peddling the same crap month after month for years on end?  I can see buying one or two issues but who subscribes to this stuff?  The hard core BB mags are even more repetitive!  Is there anyone here who hasn't seen the headline "Get ripped!  Now!" a dozen times?

G has it right, this whole fitness industry is a "huge bag of shit."  :(

so you call him "G" now hmm... ;D

E
E

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
if you can sift through all of the advertisements every now and then you can find some useful info...usually the only time i read any of these types is when i'm in the waiting room somewhere.. i come here to gain knowledge ;)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 11:29:29 PM »
if you can sift through all of the advertisements every now and then you can find some useful info...

Wow, what a great f'n insight!  You should post more. ::)

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 11:40:14 PM »
Wow, what a great f'n insight!  You should post more. ::)

some buildings get torn down and old sea turtles die... what else are you looking for?
they have a thread on the bible and bodybuilding and you're going to flame on me....guess that involves too much though for you ::)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 11:55:01 PM »

some buildings get torn down and old sea turtles die... what else are you looking for?
they have a thread on the bible and bodybuilding and you're going to flame on me....guess that involves too much though for you ::)

what are you talking about?
No doubt about it...

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:39 AM »
what are you talking about?

ahahahaha  exactly

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 12:33:27 AM »
Basically, you can read maybe 3 or 4 FLEX's and get enough information to be a good BBer. But you have to put everything in place and devote yourself to it. Most people don't.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 02:55:03 AM »
It could happen, starve yourself for 8-12 days and tell me you dont see results ;D

Of course you'll see results.....you'll leave a bit leaner corpse.  ;)
HAHA, RON.....

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 02:57:30 AM »

::)
HAHA, RON.....

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 03:06:48 AM »

How do these mags stay in business peddling the same crap month after month for years on end? 

easy

the general public consists of idiots

They still believe that the best way to get lean is 45 minutes of low intensity cardio

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 03:31:22 AM »
buy magazines, support the sport
Z

io856

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 03:34:23 AM »
buy magazines, support the sport
supplements too  ;D

Azure

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 06:19:40 AM »
I used to be intimidated by the women I saw in fitness magazines, and then when I saw them in real life....I was so glad I didn't look like that.  Man faces, hair on the face, bad skin.

It's no wonder many of the guys (straight) in the Bodybuilding industry pick regular women...some even pick women with curves and meat on their bones rather than the "fit" women in the magazines.  They look terrible in person.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 07:24:59 AM »
Here we go again.  I'm in the check out aisle and what do I see?  Another magazine that tells you to "Lose Your Belly" and now women can 'see results in 8 days!'  Just a few months ago, they said you could see results in 12 days.  I guess that's progress...

How many times can a fitness magazine say the exact same thing and have people buy it? ???

Compare this cover to the Woman's Health magazine at the start of this thread.  They are almost identical: 
Lose Your gut vs. Lose your Gut
Success Without Stress vs. Success Without Stress
15 Amazing Sex Secrets vs. 14 Amazing Sex Secrets
Fat-Burning Power Foods vs. 15 Fat-Burning Power Foods
Look Your Best vs. Look Your Best

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 07:32:54 AM »
Did you guys know that our one and only Keith Jones (aka onlyme) sat right next to Jonesey from the Police Academy at a charity event??

Never can I even aspire to be such a great man!
from incomplete data

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 09:19:39 AM »
Here we go again.  I'm in the check out aisle and what do I see?  Another magazine that tells you to "Lose Your Belly" and now women can 'see results in 8 days!'  Just a few months ago, they said you could see results in 12 days.  I guess that's progress...

How many times can a fitness magazine say the exact same thing and have people buy it? ???

Compare this cover to the Woman's Health magazine at the start of this thread.  They are almost identical: 
Lose Your gut vs. Lose your Gut
Success Without Stress vs. Success Without Stress
15 Amazing Sex Secrets vs. 14 Amazing Sex Secrets
Fat-Burning Power Foods vs. 15 Fat-Burning Power Foods
Look Your Best vs. Look Your Best

Amazing.  ;D
HAHA, RON.....

spinnis

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 09:21:07 AM »
Did you guys know that our one and only Keith Jones (aka onlyme) sat right next to Jonesey from the Police Academy at a charity event??

Never can I even aspire to be such a great man!

Wow! He did what you say?

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 09:22:52 AM »
Wow! He did what you say?

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm quite sure Keith Jones sat right next to Jonesy from the Police Academy!!!

Rumors has it that it was at a charity event. CNN is about to report on it.
from incomplete data