Author Topic: Is there a point to lifting "heavy" if you are natural?  (Read 12013 times)

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
Is there a point to lifting "heavy" if you are natural?
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »
I never get a significant burn or pump when i may do a heavy set of db curls of say 6-8 reps. I just "lift" it up (with proper form), but still dont get a deep pump.

im simply talking about maximum muscle breakdown methods. This obviously depends if you are into strength or having a bb'er physique. Strongmen are big "bulk" on a frame, but thats what they train for and i understand. But, these strength guys would look like shit on a bb stage. no striations/seperation/v taper, etc etc.

Contrarily,

if i do a moderate weight set of 12-15 reps, I feel the pump and burning much more pronounced. Anybody here into high volume training?  You know how your quads feel when you do a dropset of leg extensions til u burnout? I like that feeling on whatever part im training.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Re: Is there a point to lifting "heavy" if you are natural?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »
FYI, the "pump" is absolutely irrelevant to muscle growth.  You'll get a hell of a pump from sets of 100 leg extensions, but your legs won't grow for shit from it.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:43:17 AM »
translation = you're a 100 pound weakling pussy that is looking for a way out
Z

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:44:19 AM »
FYI, the "pump" is absolutely irrelevant to muscle growth.  You'll get a hell of a pump from sets of 100 leg extensions, but your legs won't grow for shit from it.

but if i do a set of 40 leg extensions with "heavy" weight and when im done dont feel shit but a "energy loss", im growing?

I know not necessarily the pump means muscle growth, i know that. But, it just delivers a different "feel" to the target muscle. It may not be growing exceptionally fast, but i would argue it wouldnt be a night and day difference if u used heavy training also. its most realistic for a guy to gain 4-5 lbs of pure muscle a year, if that, mno matter what training style. When the muscle gets damaged, it responds.

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »
translation = you're a 100 pound weakling pussy that is looking for a way out

And your a big, fat, dumb oaf "typical joe" beta.

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:55:07 AM »
what the one person wrote is true. The pump and burn have nothing to do with stimulating muscle growth. That's a misguided newbie though process.

And running a marathon will give your legs a different feeling that squatting some heavy ass weight. One builds muscle and one doesn't. You need to learn what "feel" is best to build muscle.

RC Money

• Getbig III
  • I don't knock on doors...I knock doors down.
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »
Most people that claim to be natural and have decent size usually do lift heavy.

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 11:20:11 AM »
but if i do a set of 40 leg extensions with "heavy" weight and when im done dont feel shit but a "energy loss", im growing?

I know not necessarily the pump means muscle growth, i know that. But, it just delivers a different "feel" to the target muscle. It may not be growing exceptionally fast, but i would argue it wouldnt be a night and day difference if u used heavy training also. its most realistic for a guy to gain 4-5 lbs of pure muscle a year, if that, mno matter what training style. When the muscle gets damaged, it responds.

if youre doing a set of 40 reps youre not going "heaby", that is an areobic workout.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 11:23:50 AM »
if youre doing a set of 40 reps youre not going "heaby", that is an areobic workout.
guess thats why you failed the bar, Paul, hahhahhahhahah
I am a big baby

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 11:25:51 AM »
No body should be lifting weights heavier than the 2 1/2 pounders with the pink padding.

Everything more heavy than that is just too much.....

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 11:31:29 AM »
No body should be lifting weights heavier than the 2 1/2 pounders with the pink padding.

Everything more heavy than that is just too much.....
You mean beauty Bells

Elite Fister  uses these to train with

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »
You mean beauty Bells

Elite Fister  uses these to train with
BOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a big baby

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »
what's the point of having big muscles if they don't do anything but look pretty?

i don't do pretty muscle..i do functional muscle.

Lifting heavy helps build bone density, muscle density, over all strength, size (duh), and comes in handy in regards to general physical preparedness....

I also compete in powerlifting so strength is crucial.. because i like beer and cookies too much and have no desire to stand on stage in a thong.

chrisdaniel33

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 11:49:36 AM »
lifting heavy or at least moderately heavy to failure is the only way to lift if you are natural ...if you actually want to look like you workout

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:50 PM »
i would argue is there a point to lifting 'light' if you are natural.

take a look at my first post on the best rep range thread.

truth be told, any weight over 65% of your 1rm will increase protein synthesis, and tear muscle down somewhat - allowing growth, however studies show the greater the weight, the greater the strength gains, and the greater the protein synthesis response.

so its more of a question of are lighter sets optimum ?

the theory of the pump or burn being necesary for muscle growth is still hotly debated, however there is no reason not to try it by throwing in a pump/burn set or 2 after your heavier sets to fill the muscle with blood, and get the full metabolic benefits ( if any).
175lbs by 31st July

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 12:04:57 PM »
BOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, I mean BOOM!

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »

I also compete in powerlifting so strength is crucial.. because i like beer and cookies too much and have no desire to stand on stage in a thong.

translation:  I'm scared of people thinking I'm skinny.
$

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »
I never get a significant burn or pump when i may do a heavy set of db curls of say 6-8 reps. I just "lift" it up (with proper form), but still dont get a deep pump.

im simply talking about maximum muscle breakdown methods. This obviously depends if you are into strength or having a bb'er physique. Strongmen are big "bulk" on a frame, but thats what they train for and i understand. But, these strength guys would look like shit on a bb stage. no striations/seperation/v taper, etc etc.

Contrarily,

if i do a moderate weight set of 12-15 reps, I feel the pump and burning much more pronounced. Anybody here into high volume training?  You know how your quads feel when you do a dropset of leg extensions til u burnout? I like that feeling on whatever part im training.

Have you tried a bulk with 6-8 reps and compared it to a bulk with 12-15 reps regarding your ratio of muscle gain vs. fat gain? In my experience, pump or burn doesn't mean anything. I have tried 5x20 for quite some time and the results were close to zero.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 12:22:57 PM »
I care just as much about getting strong as I do about getting big.  I do low-repetition clean and press every shoulder day.  I want to know I have the ability to overhand throw a 170-pound man in front of a train, should I ever find myself in a cool situation that warrants it.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 12:31:13 PM »

Contrarily,

how could we argue when you get awesome results like this. ;D

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »
how could we argue when you get awesome results like this. ;D

To be fair, the pic doesn't reveal too much about his size or condition.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 01:34:14 PM »
'heavy' is relative. I lift heavy for me and grow much better on the compound exercises form it than doing volume. On the shitty less important exercises i will go for a pump...though tis more for fun

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 01:36:41 PM »
at the end its all genetics that decide everything.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 01:39:16 PM »
at the end its all genetics that decide everything.
your genetics are pretty amazing yourself, Dutch Destroyer.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 01:39:47 PM »
lifting heavy or at least moderately heavy to failure is the only way to lift if you are natural ...if you actually want to look like you workout

Training to failure especially if you are natural is silly. Where do you go from failure...cycle weights ,my friend