Author Topic: why did Mohammed Benaziza go to the hospital in 1992 in the netherlands?  (Read 45007 times)

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
Re: why did Mohammed Benaziza go to the hospital in 1992 in the netherlands?
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 10:26:18 PM »
this is the truth..doctors are not smart people, I have worked with them..they are not smart, they only know protocols that were taught to them, the are not good at thinking on their own...always seek out the best doctor and ask lots and lots of questions.

True, i have asked questions to every doctor i have gone to, even just to get blood tests, and they just don't have the answers. Only one older guy seemed to think critically and have an idea.

A few thought just because they were doctors they were just so smart. We have the internet now nothing they learn cannot be looked up and if you research properly online you can know more about a topic than doctors than they would very quickly.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 10:26:58 PM »
True, i have asked questions to every doctor i have gone to, even just to get blood tests, and they just don't have the answers. Only one older guy seemed to think critically and have an idea.

A few thought just because they were doctors they were just so smart. We have the internet now nothing they learn cannot be looked up and if you research properly online you can know more about a topic than doctors than they would very quickly.

Many of them hate WebMD. 

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 10:49:49 PM »
Mo was never really well liked on the circuit.  Yes, he had the familiar circle of hangers-on, however, real and true supporters were in short supply.

I never liked his look.  I thought he was quite ugly to tell you the truth.  It was more than his grotesque muscle bellies, Mo was just plain and simple boring and uncreative.

Yes, it takes more than a needle and a good drug dealer to stand out a Pro of substance.

Like you would know, your an idiot Hank the guy was one of the best built short bodybuilders of all time.   

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 10:51:51 PM »
Like you would know, your an idiot Hank the guy was one of the best built short bodybuilders of all time.   

Don't you know talking shit about dead people is the "in" thing these days?

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 11:18:35 PM »
so much for 'rest in peace'

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 11:50:17 PM »
Momo was taking Potassium sparing diuretic (ALDACTONE/Spirinolactone) for several days while carbing up with foods containing high amounts of potassium...

I am not sure IF he used INSULIN at the time...Some people claim he did - I simply don't know and would not want to assume...

There is NO difference anyway...insulin or not he was hyperkalemic (condition where TOO MUCH potassium was circulating in his blood stream).

Mistake of the doctor was catastrophic - and I would like to warn some of the competitors here on board of possible outcome IF they or someone they know - take potassium sparing diuretics in their contest preparation.

While carbing up for the show - usual choices of carbs for bodybuilders are also HIGH in potassium - which means - in couple of days of eating high amounts of carbohydrate containing foods which are also (accidently) filled with high levels of potassium... while taking pharmaceutical agent (type of diuretics from potassium sparing group of diuretics...most commonly used in bodybuilding circles is ALDACTONE - brand name of Spirinolactone ) which causes accumulation of potassium in blood circulation of competitors choosing common method of "peaking" for bodybuilding events...

To add "insult to injury" at the same time (last two - three days leading up to the show) bodybuilders restrict their fluid intake (individual differences go from slightly reducing their usual amounts of fluids - to drastic reductions) and some actually - COMPLETELY ELIMINATE IT...Some eliminate for just several hours...but some (even certain mr. olympia winner :-X) eliminate every type of fluids for 1-2 even 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some competitors "compromise" and take watery types of fruits instead...and that was the case with Momo.

I actually happen to know A LOT OF his "secrets" as we discussed numerous things and exchanged our experiences...

Momo was taking pounds of apples...He would peel them and than make apple sauce from it.

That was his absolute favorite choice of carbs for "loading phase"...and he would not drink anything LAST TWO DAYS...while taking Aldactone + Aldactazide...and occasionally additional diuretics IF he needs it...Which was the case at that 1992 Euro Tour.

Anyway, he was KILLED by LETHAL INJECTION from ignorant doctor (??? actually WHO KNOWS IF moron who came to Momo's room was licensed...? ) Hmmmm, Thierry Pastel was the only guy who was present when doctor Moron came to Momos room and brilliantly - without checking the levels of potassium in Momos blood - injected, one of the very best bodybuilders and absolutely wonderful human being Mohammed Momo Benaziza - with Potassium injection...assuming that Momo must be HYPOKALEMIC instead...

Assumption of medical practitioners when they see dehydrated person is - that due to diuresis and loss of large amounts of water - particular person must be in hypokalemic state (when insufficient amount of potassium is floating around in the blood stream - due to "mineral flush" i.e. loss of minerals caused by loss of large amounts of water or dehydration...)...

It is CRITICAL to check levels of potassium of dehydrated patient before anyone injects that patient with usual potassium or injection that contains mixture of electrolytes/minerals particularly also high in potassium...)

To hydrate patient saline solution would be fine...but NO potassium in any shape or form should be administered to dehydrated patient who used potassium sparing diuretics in contest preparation...!

Remember that - as it might save some lives...

PS - I wrote the article about it...it is "somewhere" on my board....HYPERKALEMIA article in European Flex section...I can find it right now - as I must run...

I hope this helps...

The doctor wasn't an idiot....Momo was the idiot.  He chose to put all of those drugs in his body and not drink water for days.

Also, some of the people around Momo are to blame because they were most likely not upfront about his condition to the doctor.

It would not matter anyway because the symtoms for hyper and hypokelemic are very similar in nature.  He had no idea of Momo's stack or what he took. 

BTW, for you to call someone an idiot is pretty spectacular....especiall y since you were stupid enough to inject synthol in your arms and we all know what happenned afterwards. 

Or better yet...accusing Paul Chua of fraud with no proof whatsover.

Before you call someone stupid, you should look in the mirror for referencial assistance.  And try not to "misquote" anymore distributor prices.

Shawn was right about you, pal.
A

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 12:23:12 AM »
Momo was incredibly unpopular on the bodybuilding circuit.  He had a knack for getting people offside.  Momo played by some pretty simple rules; piss off your competition and gain the edge!  Yes, that was his mantra. 

Momo never fully understood the concept of fairness.  And for that matter, integrity was never a card he had in his deck either.

Look, it is not for me or anyone else to sit in judgement of this little steroided nutjob. In a twisted ironic way i kind of admired is misguided loyalities and 'off the mark' industry disillusions.

Anyway, enough said. 

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 12:26:29 AM »

The doctor wasn't an idiot....Momo was the idiot.  He chose to put all of those drugs in his body and not drink water for days.

Also, some of the people around Momo are to blame because they were most likely not upfront about his condition to the doctor.

It would not matter anyway because the symtoms for hyper and hypokelemic are very similar in nature.  He had no idea of Momo's stack or what he took. 

BTW, for you to call someone an idiot is pretty spectacular....especiall y since you were stupid enough to inject synthol in your arms and we all know what happenned afterwards. 

Or better yet...accusing Paul Chua of fraud with no proof whatsover.

Before you call someone stupid, you should look in the mirror for referencial assistance.  And try not to "misquote" anymore distributor prices.

Shawn was right about you, pal.

Vince your an idiot, your post had a relevant point but then you ruined it with a sensless attack, no wonder you have no creditability, this place is a better place for Miloses input from time to time, you dont have to agree with what he says but chasing pros from this board with sensless attacks is getbigs biggest downfall, you dont need to kiss their asses but the sensless shit is just stupid.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 12:32:28 AM »
Momo was incredibly unpopular on the bodybuilding circuit.  He had a knack for getting people offside.  Momo played by some pretty simple rules; piss off your competition and gain the edge!  Yes, that was his mantra. 

Momo never fully understood the concept of fairness.  And for that matter, integrity was never a card he had in his deck either.

Look, it is not for me or anyone else to sit in judgement of this little steroided nutjob. In a twisted ironic way i kind of admired is misguided loyalities and 'off the mark' industry disillusions.

Anyway, enough said. 

having a bad day, Shawn?

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 12:34:32 AM »
It is not about being 'all holier than thou'.  

It is not about using religion or rationalizations to explain the demise of Mom.  Bottom line, little Momo had a death wish!  

This may come as shock to some, but to those who knew him, nothing ever came as a surprise when the name Momo was attached to it!

Look, i empathize with Momo's plight. He was always the type that felt 'left out'.  He craved attention more than most.  He never full accepted 'who he was'.  

Momo was never at ease with himself.  This became more and more evident with his ever increasing appetite for roids and other nasties.

Bottom line, Momo is responsible for his own wretched misfortunes.  He will be remembered for making many mistakes, pissing of many people and basically having a really bad attitude!

Peace.

FreedomFighter

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 02:00:33 AM »

It is not about using religion or rationalizations to explain the demise of Mom.  Bottom line, little Momo had a death wish! 

This may come as shock to some, but to those who knew him, nothing ever came as a surprise when the name Momo was attached to it!

Look, i empathize with Momo's plight. He was always the type that felt 'left out'.  He craved attention more than most.  He never full accepted 'who he was'. 

Momo was never at ease with himself.  This became more and more evident with his ever increasing appetite for roids and other nasties.

Bottom line, Momo is responsible for his own wretched misfortunes.  He will be remembered for making many mistakes, pissing of many people and basically having a really bad attitude!

Peace.

Did he really had bad attitude? pissing of many people?
can you share with us...

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 04:15:48 AM »

It is not about using religion or rationalizations to explain the demise of Mom.  Bottom line, little Momo had a death wish!  

Look, i empathize with Momo's plight. He was always the type that felt 'left out'.  He craved attention more than most.  He never full accepted 'who he was'.  

Momo was never at ease with himself.  This became more and more evident with his ever increasing appetite for roids and other nasties.

Bottom line, Momo is responsible for his own wretched misfortunes.  He will be remembered for making many mistakes, pissing of many people and basically having a really bad attitude!

Peace.

You knew him well? Interact with him much?

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 04:27:21 AM »
So he was KILLED by an ignorant doctor?  IMO, many people trust doctors simply bc they have a title....truth is, there aren't too many great doctors out there.  Many of them are excellent at taking tests but not so good at making good decisions.

Tragic.

Quoted for truth. Many of these ignorant doctors don't know anything about nutrition either.

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 04:28:15 AM »

Peace.

you fucking moron, doctors treat people regardless, and clearly he misdiagnosed.. its the principle of the matter here.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 04:59:35 AM »
Momo was taking Potassium sparing diuretic (ALDACTONE/Spirinolactone) for several days while carbing up with foods containing high amounts of potassium...

I am not sure IF he used INSULIN at the time...Some people claim he did - I simply don't know and would not want to assume...

There is NO difference anyway...insulin or not he was hyperkalemic (condition where TOO MUCH potassium was circulating in his blood stream).

Mistake of the doctor was catastrophic - and I would like to warn some of the competitors here on board of possible outcome IF they or someone they know - take potassium sparing diuretics in their contest preparation.

While carbing up for the show - usual choices of carbs for bodybuilders are also HIGH in potassium - which means - in couple of days of eating high amounts of carbohydrate containing foods which are also (accidently) filled with high levels of potassium... while taking pharmaceutical agent (type of diuretics from potassium sparing group of diuretics...most commonly used in bodybuilding circles is ALDACTONE - brand name of Spirinolactone ) which causes accumulation of potassium in blood circulation of competitors choosing common method of "peaking" for bodybuilding events...

To add "insult to injury" at the same time (last two - three days leading up to the show) bodybuilders restrict their fluid intake (individual differences go from slightly reducing their usual amounts of fluids - to drastic reductions) and some actually - COMPLETELY ELIMINATE IT...Some eliminate for just several hours...but some (even certain mr. olympia winner :-X) eliminate every type of fluids for 1-2 even 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some competitors "compromise" and take watery types of fruits instead...and that was the case with Momo.

I actually happen to know A LOT OF his "secrets" as we discussed numerous things and exchanged our experiences...

Momo was taking pounds of apples...He would peel them and than make apple sauce from it.

That was his absolute favorite choice of carbs for "loading phase"...and he would not drink anything LAST TWO DAYS...while taking Aldactone + Aldactazide...and occasionally additional diuretics IF he needs it...Which was the case at that 1992 Euro Tour.

Anyway, he was KILLED by LETHAL INJECTION from ignorant doctor (??? actually WHO KNOWS IF moron who came to Momo's room was licensed...? ) Hmmmm, Thierry Pastel was the only guy who was present when doctor Moron came to Momos room and brilliantly - without checking the levels of potassium in Momos blood - injected, one of the very best bodybuilders and absolutely wonderful human being Mohammed Momo Benaziza - with Potassium injection...assuming that Momo must be HYPOKALEMIC instead...

Assumption of medical practitioners when they see dehydrated person is - that due to diuresis and loss of large amounts of water - particular person must be in hypokalemic state (when insufficient amount of potassium is floating around in the blood stream - due to "mineral flush" i.e. loss of minerals caused by loss of large amounts of water or dehydration...)...

It is CRITICAL to check levels of potassium of dehydrated patient before anyone injects that patient with usual potassium or injection that contains mixture of electrolytes/minerals particularly also high in potassium...)

To hydrate patient saline solution would be fine...but NO potassium in any shape or form should be administered to dehydrated patient who used potassium sparing diuretics in contest preparation...!

Remember that - as it might save some lives...

PS - I wrote the article about it...it is "somewhere" on my board....HYPERKALEMIA article in European Flex section...I can find it right now - as I must run...

I hope this helps...

Come on bro how can you blame the doctor?
How about MoMo following an idiotic show prep that he ended up paying with his life..
You cant blame the doc for momo taking diuretics,not drinking water and what ever other crazy stuff he was doing..how about those around him leading upto this tragic event?surly the signs were there earlier , it was reported he was cramping and puking back stage , why wasnt somthing done then?

Im sure when the Dr arived on the scene he would of been given the long list and ingredients plus actions of every drug that Momo was taking ?? of course you know he wouldnt have been.

Dudes put shit in there bodys without knowing what there true actions are of course there is going to be trouble , couple this with the silly stuff MoMo was doing, no if anyones to blame its MoMo himself...

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 09:36:46 AM »
Q: Milos, I know that you competed more than any other professional bodybuilder and that you assist many other athletes in their contest preparation. I entered two shows in my life and both times got myself in serious trouble by getting myself severely dehydrated. First time I was experiencing painful cramps and I was told to take extra potassium. I eat two bananas and my cramps went away. However, in my second contest those extra bananas didn’t help. I believe I had at least five bananas and with each one - I was only getting worse. Finally, after the contest my wife had to take me to the hospital and doctors told me that I am lucky to be alive! My potassium levels were so high that I could have experienced a heart attack.
Also, they told me that my kidneys were failing and all that scared me so much that I decided to never compete again. Interestingly, two weeks after the show I checked with my doctor again – and he told me that I couldn’t be healthier!?
I remember that doctors in a hospital told me that I had‘ hyperkalemia’ and I was wondering if you are familiar with that term. Also, why do you think I had that problem and should I compete again?

Sincerely,
Jonathan

A: Dear Jonathan I am glad that you’ve asked me that question. In the last fifteen years I have seen with my own eyes and heard from others - really horrific stories about dehydrated bodybuilding competitors that had to be taken to the hospital. To be completely honest – even I got myself in similar situation during my competitive career. Let’s face it – to be competitive in the bodybuilding contest we have to achieve that lean, hard, DRY look that judges seem to like and award.
To be “dehydrated” is expected and accepted ONLY in the sport of bodybuilding!
While medical community would point out to us dangers of even moderate dehydration, we (the bodybuilders) being extremists - would not settle for just moderate and instead we would go “all out” and try for the extreme. Well, extreme is case of dehydration could be – deadly!
Doctor in the hospital did not exaggerate when he told you that you are lucky to be alive.
Your diagnosis was HYPER (too much) Kalemia (potassium) and that is serious medical condition that can lead to cardiac arrest.

Because I am certain that many competitors nowadays get themselves in this “hyperkalemic” state it is very important for me to explain to you HOW DANGEROUS this might be.
I have witnessed more than once (in US and Europe) that when paramedics are called to treat dehydrated bodybuilder – immediately they tend to believe that dehydrated bodybuilder is also hypokalemic (state of potassium deficiency). Many times after asking just a few “diagnostic” questions they would administer IV (intravenous) electrolyte solution or (even worse) IV potassium on the way to the hospital…
If that ever happen to you or someone you know – STOP THEM before is too late!
Putting extra potassium directly into the blood stream of hyperkalemic patient (bodybuilder) could be FATAL!
Unfortunately, physical symptoms of LOW (hypo) or HIGH (hyper) levels of potassium are quite similar.
Hyperkalemic patient (bodybuilder) would experience weakness, fatigue, dizziness, muscle cramps, nausea, vomiting, numbness, confusion, difficult breathing, and increased thirst – all signs of hypokalemia as well!
Paramedics are humans that could make honest mistakes - especially during emergency calls, when they’re rushed to make decisions and sometimes easily influenced by a common practice.
Again, commonly dehydrated patients with all of the above mentioned symptoms would be categorized as hypokalemic and therefore treated as such.
Many of us (in emergency situations) would also overlook the fact that manifestations of hypo and hyperkalemia are so similar. So remember to request for ECG – electrocardiographi c test as this test could distinctively show the difference between the two (and if they do that test ask to see “T- wave” which is flattened in “hypo” and peaked in “hyper” and  “P- wave” that shows exactly the opposite). In the hospital doctor would order a blood test to determine levels of potassium. Once established – level of potassium is going to dictate appropriate treatment but I guarantee you – doctor will be grateful that you prevented paramedics in their intentions. For the reference normal values of potassium are 3.5 – 5.3 mmol/L or mEq/L (where serum potassium level under 3.5 is considered HYPOKALEMIA and over 5.3 is HYPERKALEMIA).

Now, you asked - why did you have that problem?
Of course, I cannot be certain but my first guess would be that you (more than likely) used some kind of diuretic (and I would bet – potassium sparing one), continued to eat high potassium containing foods while avoiding sodium and finally – restricted your water intake!
Chronic hyperkalemia (or hyperpotassemia) is serious illness usually caused by renal failure! You said that two weeks after the show you were back to your healthy self – so obviously your condition (high levels of K) was just acute (temporary on the day of your contest) caused by something that you did.
Very, very common potassium-sparing diuretic that bodybuilders use in their contest preparation is “Aldactone” or spironolactone. This particular diuretic became very popular in bodybuilding circuit for its inhibitory action on aldosterone (a hormone in our body that regulates body’s salt and potassium levels).
Last 2-3 days before the show many competitors drastically reduce their sodium intake (some almost completely eliminate it) with hope to lose extracellular water. At the same time they use this prescription diuretic with hope to block aldosterone, which would help them keep intracellular potassium while excreting sodium and water. This way they would be able to achieve that “dry and full” look (winning combination).

This year, after the finals of the Mr. Olympia contest I was having peaceful dinner with my close friends when I received disturbing phone call. It was no other than Shawn Ray who urged me to drop what I was doing and come immediately to Mustafa Mohammed’s room.
Mustafa is my dear friend whom I love like a true brother and when I got that call I was beside myself.
I run as fast as I could hoping that he is OK…Still, I couldn’t help but think that something terrible happened to him.
While I was running I remembered that during his posing routine at the finals he just wasn’t himself.
He is phenomenal poser who always brings breathtaking routines. More often than not – he gets a standing ovation from the audience for a true masterpiece…but this night he just didn’t deliver it.
I saw it on his face (that something might be wrong) but I didn’t really read into it.
As soon as I got there I saw Mustafa on his bed cramped up, dizzy, weak, throwing up…and he told me: “Milos, I feel bad. I mean - very, VERY BAD.”
Medical personal of Mandalay Bay Hotel came to the room and their “medical expert” concluded that Mustafa is severely dehydrated and needs fluids. So, he suggested a Gatorade (NOT a good idea as Gatorade contains potassium). I got in argument with that guy to the point that I yelled at him so laud – he run away from the room.
“Great!” said Shawn “what are we going to do now?”
“Call the ambulance – he needs to go to the hospital. This is SERIOUS!”
In 1992 I witnessed a tragedy when another IFBB pro bodybuilder got himself in the similar situation.
Mohammed Benaziza died that night and I was not going to take a chance with Mustafa.
Paramedics that came shortly after - did EXACTLY what I told you (warn you about it) here.
They also assumed that Mustafa is hypokalemic due to his severe state of dehydration. While they were taking him to the ambulance they were already planning to put him on the “IV electrolytes”.
I jumped in requesting that they absolutely cannot do that – as he was more than likely already hyperkalemic! Mustafa told me that he indeed used “Aldactone” so I was certain that this is the case.
Needless to say – I had to argue with both paramedics and I insisted to get into the ambulance with him.
[To get hydrated (on the way to the hospital) he did receive natrium-chloride and that is OK, but absolutely nothing that contains even smallest amounts of potassium should be used.]
When we arrived into the hospital I had to talk to a doctor who also wasn’t too responsive on my idea that their patient is “hyper” and not “hypo”-kalemic…
Doctors just don’t understand that somebody (we – the bodybuilders) would do that to ourselves. So, they don’t expect it.
Fortunately, in the hospital they would first check the blood, before they would do anything else.
When Mustafa’s result came (8.8 mmol/L) doctor realized that he doesn’t have a “normal situation” and he did admit that such a high amount of potassium could be fatal!
Doctors had to bring his levels of potassium down in a hurry and thankfully – they were very successful.
I must mention that Mustafa’s trouble alarmed a lot of people. Vince Scalissi from the Weider office and IFBB pro chairman Jim Manion were immediately available. Following the ambulance and spending a lot of time in the hospital were also Kris Dim, Kevin Levrone, Shawn and Kristy Ray and a pastor of the Shawn’s church. They all showed great concern and support and Mustafa was very happy to see them.

Talking to many competitors throughout the years I realized that this (“Aldactone”, low sodium and restricted water intake) is a common practice. Also (in the last two or three days) during the “carb loading” phase many competitors would choose carbohydrates that are also very high in potassium (bananas, dry fruits, potatoes, other fresh fruits, nuts, some vegetables and meats). One baked potato can have as much as 1000 mg of potassium, banana over 500 mg, cup of peanuts or almonds (for guys on low carb diet) also over a 1000 mg etc, etc
But, what some of the competitors fail to realize is that even the “normal” diet meals like fish, broccoli, chicken breast, asparagus and avocado (for example) can also have thousands of milligrams of potassium per serving!
Average protein portion (10 oz / 300 grams) of chicken is about 700 mg, while the same amount of fish would exceed 1000 mg of potassium per portion! Can you believe that the most common choice of the contest vegetable for most bodybuilders – broccoli has almost 500 mg of K per cup!?
Considering all that bodybuilders should think twice before they reduce their sodium and water intake while they’re reaching for the Aldactone – it is a bomb ready to explode!

In your first contest you probably didn’t use that (or any) diuretic and possibly tried to dehydrate yourself with more conventional (natural) methods. In that case you reached mild level of dehydration and mineral imbalance. As you said - two bananas with merely 1000 mg of potassium solved your cramping problem!
Should you compete again?
That decision must be yours. If you are concerned about your health (and you should be) don’t experiment with something that you don’t know enough about. Follow the sound nutritional program and remember that even a slight mineral and water manipulation can get you desirable results (don’t go for the extreme).
Several weeks before your next contest start using exact foods and amounts of particular minerals every day of the week. Than try to manipulate them just enough so you can reach healthy dehydrated state (without any muscle cramps) on exact day that you would want to “peak”.
If you have several weeks to practice I am certain (or at least confident enough) that you will find safe and effective method of mild dehydration (necessary for bodybuilding competition) that would not be deleterious to your kidneys, heart or health in general.

Good luck!

Until the next time,
Milos Sarcev

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 10:50:16 AM »
thanks for sharing that, Milos. 

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
Mustafa is my dear friend whom I love like a true brother and when I got that call I was beside myself.

Really Milos?? You love Mustafa like a true brother?? ;D

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 03:24:34 PM »
One of the first bodybuilders to show signs of a "GH" gut when he was relaxed.

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 09:38:19 AM »
Really Milos?? You love Mustafa like a true brother?? ;D

:)
Article was written long before my brother Mustafa decided that all my free help [never charged him a dime] and brotherly support [paying for his flights and hotels to give him a chance to compete, as he couldn't afford himself so I offered as a sign of friendship - to New York, Texas, Charlotte, weeks of free accommodation in California - twice (5 + 4 weeks)] was NOT ENOUGH - and he scammed  me for 17 Grand...with no intention to pay me back...

I did collected some...and I did promise him I'll collect the rest...

You know why he suddenly stopped competing?

I collected his last two prize money checks...(San Francisco 06 and Australia week later)...
He figured he has a long way to go...to pay me all back...

Oh well...

I am sure I am not the only one cheated brother...

Some people are just thief's regardless of what you do for them...

I saved his life only twice + gave him all from above...and he still "pulled the quick one" on me...

I let him do it - as I simply trusted him...

Now, let me ask you: do you really think it is my loss?

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 09:42:20 AM »
milos i dont need to hear your wild commentaries on u being cheated out of money
nasser educated us about how u really are in his interviews
go tell your lies somewhere else-cuz we dont believe em here
w

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2008, 10:02:10 AM »
Vince your an idiot, your post had a relevant point but then you ruined it with a sensless attack, no wonder you have no creditability, this place is a better place for Miloses input from time to time, you dont have to agree with what he says but chasing pros from this board with sensless attacks is getbigs biggest downfall, you dont need to kiss their asses but the sensless shit is just stupid.

Stop sucking Milo's dick for one minute and realize how stupid you sound.

Momo was taking everything under the sun and then some walking around with that black bag of his full of shit and Milo's has the nerve to blame the doctor for his death. 

That's pathetic if you ask me.  Momo knew the risks and he still died for a plastic trophy

Its time bodybuilders accept some personal responsibility for their actions and not blame other...especially Milos.  He went and accused an IFBB official of fraud without presenting any proof whatsover.  He got what he deserved and now he's no longer an IFBB pro.  If he doesn't like what I have to say then he shouldn't post around here because other people have said far worse about him than I have

A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2008, 10:16:23 AM »
Q: Milos, I know that you competed more than any other professional bodybuilder and that you assist many other athletes in their contest preparation. I entered two shows in my life and both times got myself in serious trouble by getting myself severely dehydrated. First time I was experiencing painful cramps and I was told to take extra potassium. I eat two bananas and my cramps went away. However, in my second contest those extra bananas didn’t help. I believe I had at least five bananas and with each one - I was only getting worse. Finally, after the contest my wife had to take me to the hospital and doctors told me that I am lucky to be alive! My potassium levels were so high that I could have experienced a heart attack.
Also, they told me that my kidneys were failing and all that scared me so much that I decided to never compete again. Interestingly, two weeks after the show I checked with my doctor again – and he told me that I couldn’t be healthier!?
I remember that doctors in a hospital told me that I had‘ hyperkalemia’ and I was wondering if you are familiar with that term. Also, why do you think I had that problem and should I compete again?

Sincerely,
Jonathan

A: Dear Jonathan I am glad that you’ve asked me that question. In the last fifteen years I have seen with my own eyes and heard from others - really horrific stories about dehydrated bodybuilding competitors that had to be taken to the hospital. To be completely honest – even I got myself in similar situation during my competitive career. Let’s face it – to be competitive in the bodybuilding contest we have to achieve that lean, hard, DRY look that judges seem to like and award.
To be “dehydrated” is expected and accepted ONLY in the sport of bodybuilding!
While medical community would point out to us dangers of even moderate dehydration, we (the bodybuilders) being extremists - would not settle for just moderate and instead we would go “all out” and try for the extreme. Well, extreme is case of dehydration could be – deadly!
Doctor in the hospital did not exaggerate when he told you that you are lucky to be alive.
Your diagnosis was HYPER (too much) Kalemia (potassium) and that is serious medical condition that can lead to cardiac arrest.

Because I am certain that many competitors nowadays get themselves in this “hyperkalemic” state it is very important for me to explain to you HOW DANGEROUS this might be.
I have witnessed more than once (in US and Europe) that when paramedics are called to treat dehydrated bodybuilder – immediately they tend to believe that dehydrated bodybuilder is also hypokalemic (state of potassium deficiency). Many times after asking just a few “diagnostic” questions they would administer IV (intravenous) electrolyte solution or (even worse) IV potassium on the way to the hospital…
If that ever happen to you or someone you know – STOP THEM before is too late!
Putting extra potassium directly into the blood stream of hyperkalemic patient (bodybuilder) could be FATAL!
Unfortunately, physical symptoms of LOW (hypo) or HIGH (hyper) levels of potassium are quite similar.
Hyperkalemic patient (bodybuilder) would experience weakness, fatigue, dizziness, muscle cramps, nausea, vomiting, numbness, confusion, difficult breathing, and increased thirst – all signs of hypokalemia as well!
Paramedics are humans that could make honest mistakes - especially during emergency calls, when they’re rushed to make decisions and sometimes easily influenced by a common practice.
Again, commonly dehydrated patients with all of the above mentioned symptoms would be categorized as hypokalemic and therefore treated as such.
Many of us (in emergency situations) would also overlook the fact that manifestations of hypo and hyperkalemia are so similar. So remember to request for ECG – electrocardiographi c test as this test could distinctively show the difference between the two (and if they do that test ask to see “T- wave” which is flattened in “hypo” and peaked in “hyper” and  “P- wave” that shows exactly the opposite). In the hospital doctor would order a blood test to determine levels of potassium. Once established – level of potassium is going to dictate appropriate treatment but I guarantee you – doctor will be grateful that you prevented paramedics in their intentions. For the reference normal values of potassium are 3.5 – 5.3 mmol/L or mEq/L (where serum potassium level under 3.5 is considered HYPOKALEMIA and over 5.3 is HYPERKALEMIA).

Now, you asked - why did you have that problem?
Of course, I cannot be certain but my first guess would be that you (more than likely) used some kind of diuretic (and I would bet – potassium sparing one), continued to eat high potassium containing foods while avoiding sodium and finally – restricted your water intake!
Chronic hyperkalemia (or hyperpotassemia) is serious illness usually caused by renal failure! You said that two weeks after the show you were back to your healthy self – so obviously your condition (high levels of K) was just acute (temporary on the day of your contest) caused by something that you did.
Very, very common potassium-sparing diuretic that bodybuilders use in their contest preparation is “Aldactone” or spironolactone. This particular diuretic became very popular in bodybuilding circuit for its inhibitory action on aldosterone (a hormone in our body that regulates body’s salt and potassium levels).
Last 2-3 days before the show many competitors drastically reduce their sodium intake (some almost completely eliminate it) with hope to lose extracellular water. At the same time they use this prescription diuretic with hope to block aldosterone, which would help them keep intracellular potassium while excreting sodium and water. This way they would be able to achieve that “dry and full” look (winning combination).

This year, after the finals of the Mr. Olympia contest I was having peaceful dinner with my close friends when I received disturbing phone call. It was no other than Shawn Ray who urged me to drop what I was doing and come immediately to Mustafa Mohammed’s room.
I run as fast as I could hoping that he is OK…Still, I couldn’t help but think that something terrible happened to him.
While I was running I remembered that during his posing routine at the finals he just wasn’t himself.
He is phenomenal poser who always brings breathtaking routines. More often than not – he gets a standing ovation from the audience for a true masterpiece…but this night he just didn’t deliver it.
I saw it on his face (that something might be wrong) but I didn’t really read into it.
As soon as I got there I saw Mustafa on his bed cramped up, dizzy, weak, throwing up…and he told me: “Milos, I feel bad. I mean - very, VERY BAD.”
Medical personal of Mandalay Bay Hotel came to the room and their “medical expert” concluded that Mustafa is severely dehydrated and needs fluids. So, he suggested a Gatorade (NOT a good idea as Gatorade contains potassium). I got in argument with that guy to the point that I yelled at him so laud – he run away from the room.
“Great!” said Shawn “what are we going to do now?”
“Call the ambulance – he needs to go to the hospital. This is SERIOUS!”
In 1992 I witnessed a tragedy when another IFBB pro bodybuilder got himself in the similar situation.
Mohammed Benaziza died that night and I was not going to take a chance with Mustafa.
Paramedics that came shortly after - did EXACTLY what I told you (warn you about it) here.
They also assumed that Mustafa is hypokalemic due to his severe state of dehydration. While they were taking him to the ambulance they were already planning to put him on the “IV electrolytes”.
I jumped in requesting that they absolutely cannot do that – as he was more than likely already hyperkalemic! Mustafa told me that he indeed used “Aldactone” so I was certain that this is the case.
Needless to say – I had to argue with both paramedics and I insisted to get into the ambulance with him.
[To get hydrated (on the way to the hospital) he did receive natrium-chloride and that is OK, but absolutely nothing that contains even smallest amounts of potassium should be used.]
When we arrived into the hospital I had to talk to a doctor who also wasn’t too responsive on my idea that their patient is “hyper” and not “hypo”-kalemic…
Doctors just don’t understand that somebody (we – the bodybuilders) would do that to ourselves. So, they don’t expect it.
Fortunately, in the hospital they would first check the blood, before they would do anything else.
When Mustafa’s result came (8.8 mmol/L) doctor realized that he doesn’t have a “normal situation” and he did admit that such a high amount of potassium could be fatal!
Doctors had to bring his levels of potassium down in a hurry and thankfully – they were very successful.
I must mention that Mustafa’s trouble alarmed a lot of people. Vince Scalissi from the Weider office and IFBB pro chairman Jim Manion were immediately available. Following the ambulance and spending a lot of time in the hospital were also Kris Dim, Kevin Levrone, Shawn and Kristy Ray and a pastor of the Shawn’s church. They all showed great concern and support and Mustafa was very happy to see them.

Talking to many competitors throughout the years I realized that this (“Aldactone”, low sodium and restricted water intake) is a common practice. Also (in the last two or three days) during the “carb loading” phase many competitors would choose carbohydrates that are also very high in potassium (bananas, dry fruits, potatoes, other fresh fruits, nuts, some vegetables and meats). One baked potato can have as much as 1000 mg of potassium, banana over 500 mg, cup of peanuts or almonds (for guys on low carb diet) also over a 1000 mg etc, etc
But, what some of the competitors fail to realize is that even the “normal” diet meals like fish, broccoli, chicken breast, asparagus and avocado (for example) can also have thousands of milligrams of potassium per serving!
Average protein portion (10 oz / 300 grams) of chicken is about 700 mg, while the same amount of fish would exceed 1000 mg of potassium per portion! Can you believe that the most common choice of the contest vegetable for most bodybuilders – broccoli has almost 500 mg of K per cup!?
Considering all that bodybuilders should think twice before they reduce their sodium and water intake while they’re reaching for the Aldactone – it is a bomb ready to explode!

In your first contest you probably didn’t use that (or any) diuretic and possibly tried to dehydrate yourself with more conventional (natural) methods. In that case you reached mild level of dehydration and mineral imbalance. As you said - two bananas with merely 1000 mg of potassium solved your cramping problem!
Should you compete again?
That decision must be yours. If you are concerned about your health (and you should be) don’t experiment with something that you don’t know enough about. Follow the sound nutritional program and remember that even a slight mineral and water manipulation can get you desirable results (don’t go for the extreme).
Several weeks before your next contest start using exact foods and amounts of particular minerals every day of the week. Than try to manipulate them just enough so you can reach healthy dehydrated state (without any muscle cramps) on exact day that you would want to “peak”.
If you have several weeks to practice I am certain (or at least confident enough) that you will find safe and effective method of mild dehydration (necessary for bodybuilding competition) that would not be deleterious to your kidneys, heart or health in general.

Good luck!

Until the next time,
Milos Sarcev

So fucking what, Milos??? 

Doctors cannot save everyone...especially those who lie about what they took to make them sick in the first place.  So when a person dies, the last person anyone should blame is a doctor...

This is why health coverage is so expensive.  People tend to blame doctors for everything and then sue them in court for malpractice and its people like you Milos who add fuel to the fire

If more bodybuilders were upfront to their doctors about taking steroids and etc, you would see a huge decrease in bodybuilders dying from sudden heart attacks at age 27 or etc. 

Here's a cure all...stop taking steroids, insulin, growth hormone, and all the rest of the bullshit.
A

brudge

• Getbig II
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2008, 10:28:02 AM »
No one cares what you think Vince so give it up.  Ya its Momo's fault for putting his life in danger for a plastic trophy, but at the same time, the doctor didn't do his job correctly. He's dead...end of story. Milos is simply telling how it happened and warning us of how the symptoms can be misread.  No one is disagreeing that he put his life in danger by using his methods.

The GodFather

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2008, 02:54:25 PM »
:)
Article was written long before my brother Mustafa decided that all my free help [never charged him a dime] and brotherly support [paying for his flights and hotels to give him a chance to compete, as he couldn't afford himself so I offered as a sign of friendship - to New York, Texas, Charlotte, weeks of free accommodation in California - twice (5 + 4 weeks)] was NOT ENOUGH - and he scammed  me for 17 Grand...with no intention to pay me back...

I did collected some...and I did promise him I'll collect the rest...

You know why he suddenly stopped competing?

I collected his last two prize money checks...(San Francisco 06 and Australia week later)...
He figured he has a long way to go...to pay me all back...

Oh well...

I am sure I am not the only one cheated brother...

Some people are just thief's regardless of what you do for them...

I saved his life only twice + gave him all from above...and he still "pulled the quick one" on me...

I let him do it - as I simply trusted him...

Now, let me ask you: do you really think it is my loss?
               Milos didn't you take the money Mr Mustafa won in Aussie show???I hear those Grand Prix shows pay a Fortune.As a side point Momo could not have had that amount of Drugs in his body as the IFBB have a Banned Drug Rule.hMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MM.FFS.