Author Topic: Obama would destroy economy, Lingle says  (Read 1989 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Obama would destroy economy, Lingle says
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 10:34:17 PM »
You mean republican Gov. Linda Lingle?
great post ::)

Yes.  The same Republican who turned a budget deficit into a budget surplus.  A billion dollar turnaround.  She knows what she's talking about.   

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 11:04:01 PM »
Yes.  The same Republican who turned a budget deficit into a budget surplus.  A billion dollar turnaround.  She knows what she's talking about.

It's Hawaii and she's a lesbian - how hard could it be?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 11:10:57 PM »
It's Hawaii and she's a lesbian - how hard could it be?

Why do you call her a lesbian?  You privy to info the rest of the islands don’t know about?   

It's extremely difficult.  We have probably had a Democrat legislature since statehood.  She is the first Republican governor in about 40 years.  Democrats have a veto-proof majority in both houses.  Still, she came in and completely changed the mindset of government. 

That's one of the things I like about McCain.  He has been saying the right things (cut taxes, cut spending, balance the budget, etc.). 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 01:52:58 AM »
Why do you call her a lesbian?  You privy to info the rest of the islands don’t know about?   

My gaydar went off the moment I saw her photo. 

It's extremely difficult.  We have probably had a Democrat legislature since statehood.  She is the first Republican governor in about 40 years.  Democrats have a veto-proof majority in both houses.  Still, she came in and completely changed the mindset of government. 

That's one of the things I like about McCain.  He has been saying the right things (cut taxes, cut spending, balance the budget, etc.). 

I like people who demonstrate fiscal responsibility, especially with other people's money. 

She cannot possibly be a Bush supporter. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 02:01:02 AM »
Did you read the article?  He will hurt small businesses:

On the economy, an early pledge by Obama to consider tax increases only on anyone making at least $250,000 also concerns Lingle. She said that could hurt small-business owners in Hawaii.

"We are a state of small businesses. He calls them rich. In Hawaii we have 22,000 business that would fall in this category," Lingle said.

Haha... Where did Governor Lingle get her economics degree from?

No offense to her, I'm sure she's a fine governor, but let's be honest here... She has no credibility when it comes to the economy.

It's just not what she's knowledgeable in.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2008, 07:58:49 AM »
So we reduce taxes on some consumers so they can pay more for the increased costs of goods and services? 

If you don't know how many small businesses make over $250K then what is the basis for this statement:

I don't know what the number of businesses make up 5% or 10% of the total number of small businesses. Do you know that number?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 08:48:13 AM »
My gaydar went off the moment I saw her photo. 

I like people who demonstrate fiscal responsibility, especially with other people's money. 

She cannot possibly be a Bush supporter. 

You see a photo and make an unqualified statement?  O.K. 

I like people who demonstrate fiscal responsibility too.  That's part of what makes her a terrific governor. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »
Haha... Where did Governor Lingle get her economics degree from?

No offense to her, I'm sure she's a fine governor, but let's be honest here... She has no credibility when it comes to the economy.

It's just not what she's knowledgeable in.

lol.  I guess managing a county budget for 8 years and managing a state budget for 6 years isn't good enough.  She couldn't possibly know anything about economics after creating "a record surplus of $730 million, coming from the budget's previous deficit of $250 million."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Lingle

The fact is she knows more about economics and balancing budgets than both candidates and their running mates. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »

I don't know what the number of businesses make up 5% or 10% of the total number of small businesses. Do you know that number?

I don't know. 

If you're going to say "over 90% of small businesses wouldn't be affected by his new taxes," you have to have some basis for that statement, unless you're just repeating a talking point?  Where did you get that figure? 

Are we talking about 100,000 businesses being affected?  Five hundred thousand?   

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2008, 08:58:51 AM »

Now that is new...a Republican who actually practices good fiscal policy.  Amazing that Lingle has supported Bush so prominently, since he is the exact opposite, a Republican who continues to increase the national debt and who hasn't ever turned in a balance budget in his 8 years in office.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
I don't know. 

If you're going to say "over 90% of small businesses wouldn't be affected by his new taxes," you have to have some basis for that statement, unless you're just repeating a talking point?  Where did you get that figure? 

Are we talking about 100,000 businesses being affected?  Five hundred thousand?   

Directly from Obama himself.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 11:29:46 AM »
lol.  I guess managing a county budget for 8 years and managing a state budget for 6 years isn't good enough.  She couldn't possibly know anything about economics after creating "a record surplus of $730 million, coming from the budget's previous deficit of $250 million."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Lingle

The fact is she knows more about economics and balancing budgets than both candidates and their running mates. 

Balancing a budget isn't rocket science... It isn't even complex economics... It's simple... You have X dollars, you only get to use X dollars.

You think balancing your checkbook makes you an economist?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2008, 06:41:39 PM »
Balancing a budget isn't rocket science... It isn't even complex economics... It's simple... You have X dollars, you only get to use X dollars.

You think balancing your checkbook makes you an economist?

A governor manages a state budget.  A governor does pretty much everything the president does, but on a smaller scale.  Same with mayors. 

A mayor and governor who has successfully managed and balanced budgets at the county and state level is qualified to manage, and at a minimum, discuss what it takes to manage and balance the national budget. 

I don't think balancing a budget is rocket science, but you have to ask yourself why so many states can't do it.  Those who have done it successfully obviously know what it takes.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »
A governor manages a state budget.  A governor does pretty much everything the president does, but on a smaller scale.  Same with mayors. 

A mayor and governor who has successfully managed and balanced budgets at the county and state level is qualified to manage, and at a minimum, discuss what it takes to manage and balance the national budget. 

I don't think balancing a budget is rocket science, but you have to ask yourself why so many states can't do it.  Those who have done it successfully obviously know what it takes.  

I think they don't do it because if they act like they don't need MORE money, they can't validate raising taxes and as a former state employee, I know that the old use it or lose it criteria is in full effect at a government level.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2008, 06:49:24 PM »
I think they don't do it because if they act like they don't need MORE money, they can't validate raising taxes and as a former state employee, I know that the old use it or lose it criteria is in full effect at a government level.

It sure is.  Sad but true. 

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2008, 06:52:22 PM »
BB, "destroy economy"?

Um, isn't that pretty much well into that phase now.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2008, 07:10:28 PM »
BB, "destroy economy"?

Um, isn't that pretty much well into that phase now.

Depends on where you live.   :)

Updated at 2:51 p.m., Thursday, October 16, 2008

Disney releases details for Ko Olina resort that would create 1,000 jobs
Advertiser Staff

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts today unveiled a scale model of its planned Ko Olina resort that will include 350 hotel rooms and 480 timeshare vacation villas on 21 acres of oceanfront property.

Disney estimates the project, expected to open by late 2011, will create 1,000 new jobs. Plans call for the resort to feature an extensive water play area including a small river, water slides and several pools. The resort will also include a spa, a conference center, a kids' club and a wedding lawn.

Officials from city's Department of Planning and Permitting has been meeting Disney since April on regulatory issues. Currently, the department is processing a mass grading permit application which would allow the site work to begin.

The department said it expects to issue the permit shortly, with grading work to begin in late December or early January. A blessing and ground-breaking ceremony is planned for later this year.

"This unique project should help boost our economy and provide jobs that are badly needed, especially in the Leeward area," Mayor Mufi Hannemann said. "I was confident that Disney would create many new opportunities and become a respected and contributing member of our community."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20081016/BREAKING03/81016081

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 07:25:24 PM »
Depends on where you live.   :)

Same with me lol.

Its all good here.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 09:44:44 PM »
Same with me lol.

Its all good here.

How could it not be when you don't pay taxes?   :)