Author Topic: The San Francisco Chronicle Endorses Obama  (Read 608 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
The San Francisco Chronicle Endorses Obama
« on: October 17, 2008, 08:40:41 PM »
THE CHRONICLE RECOMMENDS: Barack Obama for president
The Illinois senator has shown beyond a doubt that he is the one to lead the nation in troubled times.

The stakes were extraordinarily high even before our economy began to spasm and hurtle toward the abyss.

From the start of the campaign, Americans were confronted with profound policy choices about how and when to extricate this nation from a war it initiated, how to temper a looming recession, and whether to continue Bush administration policies that had widened the gap between rich and poor, eroded individual liberties, strengthened presidential power, shifted the Supreme Court to the right, weakened relations with our allies, and delayed action necessary to slow the warming of the planet.

Then, suddenly, the emergence of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression gave Americans an opportunity to see the two major-party candidates under heightened stress. It was a rare chance to see the two senators encounter the type of pressure that comes with the job description of president of the United States.

Even though each ultimately voted for the same solution - the $700 billion bailout - their demeanors could not have been more different. Sen. John McCain magnified the aura of crisis, "suspending" his campaign to return to Washington, where his role in negotiations was at best tangential. Sen. Barack Obama was a portrait of calmness and deliberation, reminding Americans that it is possible for a leader to juggle more than one task at a time.

Obama showed steadiness in a moment of anxiety, with Americans' portfolios withering and policymakers scrambling to do something - anything - to staunch the panic. The Illinois senator was similarly deliberative - in contrast with McCain's quick-draw provocation - when Russia invaded Georgia in August.

In those crises, and in the hot lights of three debates, Obama demonstrated a presidential depth and temperament. His performance under the unrelenting scrutiny of the past 20 months has helped quell the "experience issue" for a 47-year-old senator who was elected in 2004.

Still, the breadth of the job of the presidency is such that even the most capable and experienced leader must rely on the advice and judgment of seasoned and specialized appointees. A president's success is determined not only by his aptitude, instincts and communication skills - which Obama demonstrated throughout the campaign - but also by the quality of the advisers around him. Do they have the mettle to challenge a president? Does he have the self-confidence, and the trust in them, to encourage such challenges?

Obama's selection of Sen. Joe Biden as his running mate suggests that he would encourage vigorous input in his administration. Biden, 65 and a senator since 1972, has established himself as one of Washington's pre-eminent authorities on foreign policy - and a man who is famously unafraid to volunteer his opinion.

McCain's running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, has been largely sequestered from the news media since her selection in late August. She has yet to have anything resembling a traditional news conference, where the full range of her knowledge and views can be explored. Her avoidance of questions and reliance on cue-card talking points in the one vice presidential debate did nothing to allay doubts about whether the 44-year-old governor of two years is capable of assuming the reins of the presidency. Her selection was but an act of political calculation by McCain.

The erstwhile appeal of "maverick" McCain, 72, has been further undercut by his tack to the right on the Bush tax cuts (which he initially resisted), his newfound allegiance to the religious right (in 2000, he called its leaders "agents of intolerance") and the low tone of his campaign in recent weeks (with attempts to portray Obama as a "pal of terrorists").

While both candidates speak of "change," on the issue that matters most to Americans at this moment - the economy - there is no question about which candidate's policies represents a distinct departure from the approach of the last eight years. McCain's agenda largely reflects the orthodoxy of deregulation and top-weighted tax cuts that defined Republican politics for almost 30 years. McCain has poured forth more proposals to stimulate the economy with cuts on capital gains taxes and allowing certain early withdrawals on retirement accounts. He also has floated a plan to purchase troubled mortgages to help homeowners avoid foreclosure and stay in their homes.

Obama draws on some of the traditional Democratic themes: a more active government role in regulating businesses and trade agreements, more tax relief for the middle class, and stimulating the economy with public-works projects.

Both candidates have been less than forthcoming about how their tax-cut and spending plans might be derailed if the economy continues to tank or the bailout proves less effective and more expensive than anticipated.

At the start of the year, it looked as if the war in Iraq might be the defining issue of 2008. The United States has spent hundreds of billions of dollars - and lost more than 4,100 troops - since President Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq more than five years ago. McCain's stubborn insistence on "victory" before withdrawal runs the danger of extending the quagmire.

Meanwhile, the threat of terrorism has not gone away. As Obama has noted, the invasion of Iraq diverted resources and attention from what should be the main front on terrorism: the rugged terrain along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, where al Qaeda and, presumably, its leader, Osama bin Laden, retreated after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

Beyond Iraq, the president who walks into the Oval Office on Jan. 20, 2009, will need to rebuild alliances that have been frayed by the unilateralist approach of the Bush White House. McCain has mocked Obama for his willingness to open dialogue with Iran and other rogue nations, but, again, the go-it-alone, world-opinion-be-damned approach of the past eight years has not made us safer. The challenges of our times - curbing global warming, addressing the global economic crisis, combatting terrorism - require international cooperation.

Throughout a campaign that has been intense - and at some points ugly - Obama has kept his composure and maintained a vision of optimism that has drawn an unparalleled wave of young people into the political process. His policies and his persona have offered hope to a nation that is deeply polarized, swimming in debt, mired in war and ridden with anxiety. He taps into that treasured American reservoir - patriotism - with his calls for sacrifice and national service.

Barack Obama is the right president for these troubled times.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: The San Francisco Chronicle Endorses Obama
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 06:05:50 AM »
Just in case anybody missed it...

THE CHRONICLE RECOMMENDS: Barack Obama for president
The Illinois senator has shown beyond a doubt that he is the one to lead the nation in troubled times.

Barack Obama is the right president for these troubled times.
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:38:23 PM »
Surprised his position on gay marriage didn't scare them off, LOL!

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 07:06:23 PM »
A liberal news paper endorsed Obama?

ORLY?

Wow... didn't see that coming.  ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 07:08:42 PM »
A liberal news paper endorsed Obama?

ORLY?

Wow... didn't see that coming.  ::)

I know, ...I laughed my ass off when I saw that. The Sanfrancisco Chronicle was a given,
...however, despite such obvious bias, ...you have to at least admit they are completely correct in their assessment.
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 07:12:37 PM »
I know, ...I laughed my ass off when I saw that. The Sanfrancisco Chronicle was a given,
...however, despite such obvious bias, ...you have to at least admit they are completely correct in their assessment.

Sigh... I never thought I'd say this... but given the options I'd have to agree.

I'd rather have Ron Paul and I still think Obama's tax policies are wrong (they suck!) and he's as much of an interventionist (when it comes to foreign policy) as McCain but he may be the right man for America at this time.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »

Sigh... I never thought I'd say this... but given the options I'd have to agree.

I'd rather have Ron Paul and I still think Obama's tax policies are wrong (they suck!) and he's as much of an interventionist (when it comes to foreign policy) as McCain but he may be the right man for America at this time.

{LOL} I'm quoting this for posterity, ...just in case you realize what you've just said,
have a major panic attack, and decide to delete the post. Cheer up though, ...it's not all doom & gloom.
It's going to cost you another $1,500 a yr in taxes, ...but you can mitigate the loss by using MPG-caps.   :D

You could save yourself that much in gasoline, ...and clean up the pollution at the same time.  ;D
...might even get yourself a tax credit or two, ...and come out ahead of the game.
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 07:31:08 PM »
{LOL} I'm quoting this for posterity, ...just in case you realize what you've just said,
have a major panic attack, and decide to delete the post. Cheer up though, ...it's not all doom & gloom.
It's going to cost you another $1,500 a yr in taxes, ...but you can mitigate the loss by using MPG-caps.   :D

You could save yourself that much in gasoline, ...and clean up the pollution at the same time.  ;D
...might even get yourself a tax credit or two, ...and come out ahead of the game.

LOL... I traded in the Touareg for a Prius so gas is no longer an issue.

My wife is going to quit her job so we'll fall under this infamous $250,000 mark. I'm so happy he's taking the regional cost of living index into consideration.  ::)

Other than that (and his foreign policy) he says a lot of the right things.

Now we'll see if he delivers or if he's out the door in four years if Ventura runs.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 03:46:18 AM »
LOL... I traded in the Touareg for a Prius so gas is no longer an issue.

They still use gas. Remember, the MPG-Caps work in any internal combustion engine.  ;)

For a moment there I thought you had said you traded it in for one of those little smart cars.
I just got the most hilarious visual of you stepping out of one of those things.
One of my neighbours drives one. She's 17, and one day she was driving home with her Dad in the passenger seat. I've never seen a more embarrassed and cramped looking man in my life. As she pulled into the driveway, he looked as if he couldn't wait to swing open the door and stretch his legs.

My wife is going to quit her job so we'll fall under this infamous $250,000 mark. I'm so happy he's taking the regional cost of living index into consideration.  ::)

That's a smart move, ...give up an additional $48,500 vs. paying $1,500.  ::)
On the bright side, ...now that your wife wil be a stay-at-home Mom, you won't need to hire a babysitter.
She can stay home and watch the kids while we vacation in the British Virgin Islands.  :D

Other than that (and his foreign policy) he says a lot of the right things.

Now we'll see if he delivers or if he's out the door in four years if Ventura runs.

Again, quoted for posterity.  ;)

My concern if he wins, is that he will have an amazingly daunting task ahead of him. Things are going to get alot worse before they get better, and I'd hate to see the voters in the US make the same mistake we made in Ontario with Bob Rae. The previous yrs had seen a horrendous North American wide recession, and Mulroney's decisions at the federal level, had cost the manufacturing sector dearly. Hardest hit of course was Ontario, our country's economic engine, ...thanks in large part to our interconnectedness, Reaganomics, the trickle down theory and Mulroney fellating stupid Republican policy wonks south of the border. Irish eyes may have been smiling, ...but it was Canadian workers who were crying. Our Provincial Premiere Bob Rae had inherited an absolute mess from the previous government in 1992, and things got worse before they got better. He was forced to make some tough decisions during his tenure in office. The unions got too arrogant assuming that they would have their way because he was an NDP premiere, and thought they could hold both the premiere and the province hostage by refusing to come to the bargaining table, despite numerous invitations to do so. Rae warned them.... he said come to the table and participate, ...or I will be forced to do this myself without you. They acted like pouty petulant children. There was a showdown, neither side blinked, ...and in the end, Bob Rae did the responsible thing, for the province, for the union, and for all Canadians, without any pettiness or spite. He made the contract without any input or negotiation from the union. He balanced the provincial budget and did it in a way that saved union jobs. Union members were incensed that they were subject to a contract that they hadn't negotiated on, or had input into, ...despite their own refusal to negotiate or participate in the collective bargaining process.  Government employees now had to take 1 or 2 unpaid days off a month, (alternating Mondays & Fridays off) instead of seeing thousands of union members lose their jobs, only to be thrown on the federal dole (unemployment insurance), ...then after which get kicked onto the provincial dole (welfare). The Goverment Unions were so incensed, they coined a term for this new unpaid holiday which saw them getting an additional 3 day weekend every month as "Rae Days". There was a huge uproar over it, ...it became the popular term of derision, and in the end, voters tossed him out of office for Conservative Mike Harris' 'Common Sense Revolution'. What a number Harris did on our economy. Their common sense revolution had very little common sense to it, and had at it's hallmark, the vilification of the poor. They systematically went after each segment of society starting with the poorest and most vulnerable members. By the time they went after the upper echelons, the rest of Ontario residents basically said "Screw you, you're getting the shaft, just like the rest of us". People didn't realize until it was too late what a nightmare they were inviting in, ...and here we are 13 yrs later, seeing the first fruits of Harris' policies and the negative impacts that have manifested as a result.

In the end, Ontario voters tossed Bob Rae out of office, ...not for what he did wrong, ...but for what he did right. Hopefully this realization will sink in with Ontario voters if and when Bob Rae is elected leader of the federal Liberal Party, now that it looks like Stéphane Dion will be stepping down.

If Obama does win, I hope Americans will roll up their sleeves and support him in his goal to reclaim America
w

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 02:15:34 PM »
They still use gas. Remember, the MPG-Caps work in any internal combustion engine.  ;)

No thank you. I like my car working.  ;D

For a moment there I thought you had said you traded it in for one of those little smart cars.
I just got the most hilarious visual of you stepping out of one of those things.
One of my neighbours drives one. She's 17, and one day she was driving home with her Dad in the passenger seat. I've never seen a more embarrassed and cramped looking man in my life. As she pulled into the driveway, he looked as if he couldn't wait to swing open the door and stretch his legs.

The Prius is actually bigger than it looks. I'm not hurting for room in that car.

That's a smart move, ...give up an additional $48,500 vs. paying $1,500.  ::)
On the bright side, ...now that your wife wil be a stay-at-home Mom, you won't need to hire a babysitter.
She can stay home and watch the kids while we vacation in the British Virgin Islands.  :D

You don't know my financial situation or how much people in the Peoples Republic of Maryland fork out in income tax and property tax only to get beat down more by the AMT. I can expect to still owe another 6-10k in additional taxes this year even though both my wife and I file single zero on our W-4. How wonderful. I have to SAVE to fulfill my "patriotic duty" and pay out more in taxes. That's money I can use for retirement savings, my kids college funds, or upgrades to my home. I have friends that pay an extra (and I'm not making this up) $20,000 come tax time and they are by no means "rich". Upper middle class but not rich. The Alternative Minimum Tax is really hurting people here in Maryland and northern Virginia and I have yet to hear Obama address that issue.... but he'll give a tax break to those that pay ribs-n-dick into the system.

So tell me again why she should continue to work so only so that we can be penalized for our success? Besides, if Obama is going to give 95 percent of "working" Americans a tax cut why shouldn't I be one of them? Especially if my first obligation and responsibility is to my family?

And where the hell are you getting this extra $1500.00 from?

Again, quoted for posterity.  ;)

He does. Just because I'm an Independent and a Ron Paul supporter doesn't mean that Obama doesn't make statements I agree with.

My concern if he wins, is that he will have an amazingly daunting task ahead of him. Things are going to get alot worse before they get better, and I'd hate to see the voters in the US make the same mistake we made in Ontario with Bob Rae. The previous yrs had seen a horrendous North American wide recession, and Mulroney's decisions at the federal level, had cost the manufacturing sector dearly. Hardest hit of course was Ontario, our country's economic engine, ...thanks in large part to our interconnectedness, Reaganomics, the trickle down theory and Mulroney fellating stupid Republican policy wonks south of the border. Irish eyes may have been smiling, ...but it was Canadian workers who were crying. Our Provincial Premiere Bob Rae had inherited an absolute mess from the previous government in 1992, and things got worse before they got better. He was forced to make some tough decisions during his tenure in office. The unions got too arrogant assuming that they would have their way because he was an NDP premiere, and thought they could hold both the premiere and the province hostage by refusing to come to the bargaining table, despite numerous invitations to do so. Rae warned them.... he said come to the table and participate, ...or I will be forced to do this myself without you. They acted like pouty petulant children. There was a showdown, neither side blinked, ...and in the end, Bob Rae did the responsible thing, for the province, for the union, and for all Canadians, without any pettiness or spite. He made the contract without any input or negotiation from the union. He balanced the provincial budget and did it in a way that saved union jobs. Union members were incensed that they were subject to a contract that they hadn't negotiated on, or had input into, ...despite their own refusal to negotiate or participate in the collective bargaining process.  Government employees now had to take 1 or 2 unpaid days off a month, (alternating Mondays & Fridays off) instead of seeing thousands of union members lose their jobs, only to be thrown on the federal dole (unemployment insurance), ...then after which get kicked onto the provincial dole (welfare). The Goverment Unions were so incensed, they coined a term for this new unpaid holiday which saw them getting an additional 3 day weekend every month as "Rae Days". There was a huge uproar over it, ...it became the popular term of derision, and in the end, voters tossed him out of office for Conservative Mike Harris' 'Common Sense Revolution'. What a number Harris did on our economy. Their common sense revolution had very little common sense to it, and had at it's hallmark, the vilification of the poor. They systematically went after each segment of society starting with the poorest and most vulnerable members. By the time they went after the upper echelons, the rest of Ontario residents basically said "Screw you, you're getting the shaft, just like the rest of us". People didn't realize until it was too late what a nightmare they were inviting in, ...and here we are 13 yrs later, seeing the first fruits of Harris' policies and the negative impacts that have manifested as a result.

In the end, Ontario voters tossed Bob Rae out of office, ...not for what he did wrong, ...but for what he did right. Hopefully this realization will sink in with Ontario voters if and when Bob Rae is elected leader of the federal Liberal Party, now that it looks like Stéphane Dion will be stepping down.

If Obama does win, I hope Americans will roll up their sleeves and support him in his goal to reclaim America

Sorry... you lost my interest when you dove into loonie politics.  ;)