Author Topic: McCain calls 'Joe the Plumber,' invites him on the trail  (Read 277 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
McCain calls 'Joe the Plumber,' invites him on the trail
« on: October 18, 2008, 12:13:26 PM »
 :)

McCain calls 'Joe the Plumber,' invites him on the trail
Posted: 11:25 AM ET

From CNN Political Producer Tasha Diakides

MELBOURNE, Florida (CNN)- At a rally in Melbourne, Florida Friday evening, Senator McCain revealed he had called Joe Wurzelbacher.

“I talked to him this morning for the first time ever,” said McCain. “And I want to tell you his sprits are good and he’s a tough guy. He is what small business people all over this country are all about. They are tough and they are good and they want to get ahead and they want to keep their money.”

McCain did apologize to the Ohio resident for thrusting him into the media spotlight on the night of the debate according to McCain press secretary Brooke Buchanan.

The night before he called, he appealed to Joe on CBS's “Late Night with David Letterman.”
“Joe, if you’re watching, I’m sorry,” he said into the camera.

Buchanan did say that the Arizona Senator invited Ohio’s most famous voter to meet up with the campaign but did not set up any specific stops.

McCain has a rally in that state on Sunday but Buchanan said she didn’t know whether Murzelbacher would appear.

When asked why he called Joe, Buchanan said, “I think he just wanted to reach out to him.”

Whether Joe is there in person or not, he is certainly a star at McCain events. McCain urged others at the rally to contact Joe and share their support. “Send Joe an email and tell him you are with him, ok,” said McCain.

And the crowd definitely seemed to be full of Joe supporters as well as John supporters, with people at the Melbourne rally were wearing tee shirts with a picture of a name tag on them that said, “My name is … Joe the Plumber” and holding signs about Joe like one on stage that said, “Joe’s dough, not Obama’s.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/