Author Topic: Obese "powerlifters" in your gym/  (Read 8235 times)

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
Obese "powerlifters" in your gym/
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:55:38 AM »
I am sure you all seen this stereotype: the disgustingly obese mid 40's man with a "power lifter" style: big gym bag, knee and elbow wraps...always loads 20 plates on each side of the bar to do a quarter-rep and then sit around, forearm on one bent knee, breathing heavily and looking super serious....oh yes, belt and chalk - always present....
been gymming for 10+ years and this type never seems to go extinct...

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: Obese "powerlifters" in your gym/
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:03:54 AM »
hahah yes and they all could have played "pro football" if not for some mysterious circumstances where they "blew out" their knees.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:07:55 AM »
lol, haven't seen these in my gym.

We have two different species though:

1) The intellectual fitness guy

Sits around on the benches or machines reading magazines. He brings his own newspaper to the gym as well. Last time i checked, because i was curious. He did 2 machines in 45 minutes, a la 3 sets each machine.

I wanted to use one he was sitting on, so i asked him if i could use it. He immedialty started moving and told me "Just one more set, then i'm gone". He had been sitting on the machine for 20minutes reading before i approached him.

2) Mrs Know-It-All-Use-It-All-At-Once

There's this woman, mid 40's i would say. She does everything wrong you can think of. She occupies half of the gym at once. Puts her bottle on one machine, towel on the next, dumbells on some bench, then takes a dumbell from the rack and disappears to the 2nd floor fitness room to do whatever.

Annoying as hell, mostly the guys around just put her stuff into one corner, but everytime she comes back she flips out about that.  ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:09:47 AM »
He used to compete and did some crazy numbers, but really doesn't want to talk about details of the competitions (dates, location, etc)

He had a major back injury that almost killed him, but he's about to 'ramp up' a comeback.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »
He used to compete and did some crazy numbers, but really doesn't want to talk about details of the competitions (dates, location, etc)

He had a major back injury that almost killed him, but he's about to 'ramp up' a comeback.

lol, we have those kind of obese BB in my gym.

bb doc

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »
There was a guy at my old college's gym who was very similar to the stereotype described by the original post-er.

The unique thing about him though was that he always wore TWO powerlifting belts, which he proudly told me a couple times.

I finally asked him "Do they let you wear 2 belts during a PL competition?" - which is "No", of course!

If someone can tell me if there's a good reason to ever wear 2 belts, I'd like to know!

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »
we don't have them, i train in a health gym. only hot milfs and twigs.

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »
I am sure you all seen this stereotype: the disgustingly obese mid 40's man with a "power lifter" style: big gym bag, knee and elbow wraps...always loads 20 plates on each side of the bar to do a quarter-rep and then sit around, forearm on one bent knee, breathing heavily and looking super serious....oh yes, belt and chalk - always present....

hahaha legendary description!!

They always stink like fuck too!

ta ta
Ta ta nerds!

bigtraps

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 10:52:07 AM »
Oh yea, got one at my gym.  When he decides not to breath heavy, he will do a little dance and sing along to the crap he playing on his mp3.  I  love it when he puts on the knee wraps, loads the leg press with 1200 lbs, does 1/8" reps, then removes the knee wraps.  The whole process takes him about 10 per set.  Idiot.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 11:03:41 AM »
LOL I have the pseudo powerlifter fat ass at my gym as well.  There is this one guy he's fucking hilarious.  He's built like QueerOats!  Real fat guy with peewee herman calves and legs hence why he always wears those MC Hammer pants.  He always wears a tank top.  He's got those short, fat strong arms.  You know the kind I'm talking about......the kind that the big fat lady at your work has.  Just enough muscle to move some serious weight encased in a tube of fat.  This guy has a faux mullet as well.  Last time I saw him working out he was wearing the iconic fanny pack.  He does a rep of 300+lbs gets up looks around, flexes in the mirror a little and stands around for 10 minutes looking around at everyone.  He repeats this nonsense for about an hour.  Then moves on to another chest exercise. 

And Donkey Kong I have the 40 year old woman who does everything wrong and uses everything at once as well.  She's got that toned old woman's body= flat ass, saggy tits, but yet keeps wearing her spandex outfit to the gym everday to show off her disgustingly stretched out camel toe. 

sinbad

• Getbig III
  • Chest like Arnold!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »
I have seen the power lifter guy and the news paper reader. I saw a guy last week, sitting on the bench with his elbow on his knee doing 2 inch curls with a 90lb dumbell, I am serious, 2 inch range of motion, I wasn't sure if this was some kind of power lifting technique I am not familiar with or if he was just Retarded, I am leaning toward retarded.  While I am venting, I also saw a guy last week doing squats facing out into the gym with his back to the mirror and he was really struggling to rack the weight backing it in, I finally said something to him, fearing he was going to kill himself.

Mrdibbs

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 11:54:55 AM »
Don't you know the kinda guy that just started track and field 2 months before and is now fearcely doing plyometric jumps with one foot, long jumps from a skippyball and tying whatever bodypart to the cablecross for resistance training.

He than actually thinks he would out beat you with his plyometric crap against solid 300lbs squats on the 100 meter sprint

Than try's to cover his 80lbs frame with wikipedia knowledge on muscle fibers

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 12:09:25 PM »
Hahaha I saw this "obese powerlifter" at the gym a couple of weeks back doing an all out 200kg pull, looked something like this:

Sumbitch was screaming like pig, and when he got above his knee it took him atleast 10 seconds of hitching to lock the bar.

Worst thing is this "guy" actually thinks he's strong.  :D

RC Money

• Getbig III
  • I don't knock on doors...I knock doors down.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 12:22:36 PM »
These "fat powerlifter" are doing what powerlifters do.

But the wanabes are very annoying and for somereason they think their the only ones who have any vauge knowledge of pl so they always claim personal best about equal to or right under raw records.

There's one in my gym that used to press 700 but since he tore his tris years ago 275 is all he's got now :-\
Plus he's brutaly syntholized his bis for some reason...maybe to give his arms some cushion and bounce at the bottom of a bench rep.

Sassyclassywoman

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 12:28:51 PM »
One time I was at the gym with my boyfriend, and this old 50+ guy comes over and starts chatting with us.  He must have weigh at least 320 lbs of pure gut.  All high and mighty he told us that he was a powerlifter and could deadlift 405 like it had never been done before.  I just shook my head in silence because my bf can do 495 lbs.  and only weighs 185.

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 12:30:51 PM »
theres an obese powerlifter on this forum called mikewolfe.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 12:31:18 PM »
In my gym all look strong athletic and are lean!

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »
2) Mrs Know-It-All-Use-It-All-At-Once

There's this woman, mid 40's i would say. She does everything wrong you can think of. She occupies half of the gym at once. Puts her bottle on one machine, towel on the next, dumbells on some bench, then takes a dumbell from the rack and disappears to the 2nd floor fitness room to do whatever.

Annoying as hell, mostly the guys around just put her stuff into one corner, but everytime she comes back she flips out about that.  ::)

It's justified to just simply kill her with a heavy dumbbell and move on with your training.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 12:51:20 PM »
I've got an obese bodybuilder at my gym.  His gut is worse than Fux's at it's worst.  He doesn't have one cut or vein on his body.  He's big, but looks teribble.  All he talks about is drugs.  He'll talk about taking this and that and stepping on stage 275 ripped and taking the local superheavies.  He's nuts.  Another wannabe came up to me and said "I used to talk to Tom Platz just like i'm talking to you right now"

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
yeah these guys are an expert on everything even though they look like jabba he hut

they know everything there is to know about the gym and share their expert knowledge by talking loud and grunting during each set ::)

E
E

ASJChaotic

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 01:15:45 PM »
yeah these guys are an expert on everything even though they look like jabba he hut

they know everything there is to know about the gym and share their expert knowledge by talking loud and grunting during each set ::)

E
they are no Kevin Levrone  >:(  ;D

Team Diver

• Getbig IV
  • Squeeeeze!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 01:22:34 PM »

Their head is always red!!!!

Permabulker

• Getbig IV
  • 1*
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
I have one who is from Alaska.  He is always saying how "when he was a bodybuilder and competed"..  blah, blah, blah...  and then some more diarrhea falls out of his mouth...  He trains with brutally light weight has never made any progress and is always talking like he is making a comeback.  He is a nice enough guy but full of shit.  What is the point?  I guess reliving his falsehood glory days?  Oh and always wears the same shit daily to the gym.  He must have a closet like Jack Slater on Last Action Hero...

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 01:30:50 PM »
they are no Kevin Levrone  >:(  ;D

there can only be one 8)

E
E

ASJChaotic

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »
there is one in my gym who is fat as hell
and wears this T-BACK and SHORT SHORTS  :o
everyday
and he has these tatoos that look like shit and are blueish greenish blackish  ???
spends like 5 minutes on the bike, gets off huffin and puffin
puts on his belt and picks up the 60lb dumbbells for some dumbbell bench press  ::)