Author Topic: Its better to be feared than loved because the fear lasts longer...  (Read 3088 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
All these 20 somethings up Obama's ass and the gangsta rappers giving Obama their endorsement seem to be overlooking an oft quoted line which is definitely part of American pop culture. It has been in movies, music, etc. and is supposed to be in tune with how somebody powerful should conduct themselves. While the concept that spawned the quote is hardly original (Read Machiavelli's The Prince), I find it comical that Obama supporters ( And by that I mean America's youth) think that a leader should wield "soft power" and  should make it a point to be well liked by everyone in order to be successful. What I find even more hysterical is that the effeminate, ineffective and impotent EU countries are the vile measuring sticks for likability. I suppose the Arab worlds support for Obama has nothing to do with the fact that he has all but conceded he will take the pressure off. I would also assume his Muslim background is also irrelevant. They just like him because hes an all around great guy. He will change things!
          In spite of the obvious and indisputable fiction that comprises Obama's plan to fix the economy, his despicable personal associations, his inexperience, and  etc. etc. etc., he doesn't scare me domestically. We can survive another Carter, even a more far left and less experienced version, and during the next election cycle I highly doubt the saps that voted for him this time will figure his first four years were just an aberration (Learning on the job?). Foreign policy wise and national security wise he scares me to death. I wonder how the media will spin the next terrorist attack we have on our shores?
Will the headline read-Republican's war on terror hits home two years after democrats take the presidency and both houses? Bush's Endless War breaks up handholding summit in San Francisco?
 Everyone living in the absurd fantasy world the media has created with Obama as the opiate scented Jesus to "save" America from itself will probably come down off the euphoric acid trip of delusion sooner rather than later. Once the Bush administration becomes the "prior administration", once the democrats will have no one to bicker with but themselves, once the public realizes they were duped about the economy, healthcare, taxes and the like-- They may wake up in outrage with an Obama hangover that would make any alcoholic or drug addict blush. But, the second we are attacked on our shores again, everyone of you will snap out of it and fast. 

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
Re: Its better to be feared than loved because the fear lasts longer...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »
DAWG

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 04:53:06 PM »
Dude,

I seriously doubt a lot gansta rappers are sitting around reading The Prince.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 04:56:57 PM »
Me too. Thats not the point of the posting.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »
So you'd have us believe our only choices are live in fear or be at war forever!?

I'm not saying you're wrong but we're the ones afraid of them, collectively. If there was a face-saving way to do it and oil wasn't involved, we would have already nuked them all.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 05:22:54 PM »
No. I am saying that being president of the United States and the national security responsibility of the commander and chief supersedes world "perception" and a popularity contest.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
No. I am saying that being president of the United States and the national security responsibility of the commander and chief supersedes world "perception" and a popularity contest.

He has to act in a manner that is for the nation's greater good. Having the world peeing its pants isn't necessarily a perfect scenario. Children who are afraid of their parents eventually rebel. :)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 05:31:36 PM »
I disagree with that analogy entirely. When your number one everyone hates you anyway. You think by caving to international whining that America will magically become loved by the world and we will somehow become safer? You think the terrorist propaganda will disappear? If anything,the opposite will happen.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »
I disagree with that analogy entirely. When your number one everyone hates you anyway. You think by caving to international whining that America will magically become loved by the world and we will somehow become safer? You think the terrorist propaganda will disappear? If anything,the opposite will happen.

Is being fear of the terrorists keeping you in line?

My guess is you're like most people and would rather they all be dead so the fear will go away.

It's like Kipling wrote: "Anger is the egg of fear" :)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
I think your misunderstanding what Im saying. This has nothing to do with me, or you or any individual  person being afraid of anyone. My point is that it isnt in the nations best interest to cave to international pressure and try to be everyones pal. Being president isnt a miss congeniality contest at a beauty pagent.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 06:06:14 PM »
I think your misunderstanding what Im saying. This has nothing to do with me, or you or any individual  person being afraid of anyone. My point is that it isnt in the nations best interest to cave to international pressure and try to be everyones pal. Being president isnt a miss congeniality contest at a beauty pagent.

It is, GW.

We're a shallow country and have an entrenched two party system to protect the status quo.

I don't trust either of them. Obama just sucks a little less on the Iran issue.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 06:42:25 PM »
Wow rational debate regardless of disagreeing with Drkaje.....If Iran is ur only hang-up with Obama, I'd love to change ur mind.
L

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 09:49:34 PM »
Wow rational debate regardless of disagreeing with Drkaje.....If Iran is ur only hang-up with Obama, I'd love to change ur mind.

IMO, regardless of what any of them say pilling out of Iraq is off the table.

Neither of them can be trusted with money.

My income isn't high enough to where the presidency will really affect me.

I'm curious if our crippled can walk without crutches and wonder what the long term cultural implications of a minority presidency will be.  Aside from that, there are only a few other interesting aspects to the thing.

Joe Sixpack/40oz' financial life won't be changed much either way. At best, he'll feel a little better or worse about being broke :)

Beyond personal morbid curiosity, I don't have a dog in this race.