Author Topic: 49ers fire coach Nolan, give job to assistant Singletary  (Read 3345 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
49ers fire coach Nolan, give job to assistant Singletary
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:54:44 PM »
I'm okay with this.  Nolan had to take responsibility for Alex Smith and now O'Sullivan.  Team is talented on D and has pieces on O, but can't win.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what Singletary can do. 

49ers fire coach Nolan, give job to assistant Singletary
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Updated: October 20, 2008, 8:25 PM ET

Seven games into the NFL season, the San Francisco 49ers have fired head coach Mike Nolan.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that they have offered the job to assistant head coach Mike Singletary and he has accepted. The two sides are working on a suitable contract.

Lost Gold

After two straight losses to the Packers in the NFC divisional playoffs, George Seifert, who won two Super Bowls with the 49ers, resigned. Since then, things haven't been the same for the franchise that enjoyed one of the greatest runs in NFL history. Mike Nolan was the third coach since Seifert and only Steve Mariucci has a winning record and any playoff appearances.

The firing came late Monday afternoon after Nolan met with ownership. Earlier Monday, ESPN's Michael Smith reported that Nolan was going to be fired after next Sunday's game and be replaced by Singletary. Whether that story sped up the process or not, it was clear that Nolan's days were numbered following Sunday's 29-17 loss to the New York Giants in the Meadowlands.

49ers ownership was noticeably upset following that loss, which accelerated talk of change. The 49ers play the Seahawks Sunday and then have a bye week, which is a convenient time to make a coaching change. Apparently, the York family didn't want to wait.

Nolan, 49, was 18-37 as head coach of the 49ers. Though the offense improved its scoring under the play-calling of offensive coordinator Mike Martz, the defense, which is Nolan's specialty, has been inconsistent all season.

The 49ers have had five straight losing seasons and are 4-12, 7-9 and 5-11 in three full seasons under Nolan, who was retained after last season.

Nolan was in the fourth year of a five-year, $8.5 million contract. For most of his career, he was in charge of personnel but he lost that ability after last season.

Scot McCloughan, their top personnel executive, was formally annointed as general manager with a contract extension and a raise.

Nolan and McCloughan have made joint decisions on personnel issues, but McCloughan has had the final say.

"I will remain the one voice in this organization, and the face," Nolan said at the conclusion of the 2007 season. "I don't believe it will change at all. The important thing is that we will maintain the relationship."

Singletary has been coaching the 49ers linebackers since 2005. The Hall-of-Fame linebacker from the Bears spent 11 seasons as one of the best on-the-field leaders in football. Now, for nine games, he gets a chance to see what he can do running an entire team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3654528

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: 49ers fire coach Nolan, give job to assistant Singletary
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »
I'm happy about this.  I stopped being a Nolan fan (as a head coach) a while ago.  I listened to him most weeks on a morning radio show and he always seemed a bit dense.  Of course he was almost always on the defensive because he losing. 

The defense should be better that it shows.  JT  should be a back up.  He's horrible. 

I don't have much hope for Singeltary.  but you never know.  Maybe these guys will step up for him.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:29:09 PM »
I wouldn't judge Singletary on this year, because the hand has pretty much been dealt.  I think he needs at least one offseason to draft, sign FAs, and set the tone. 

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:21:59 PM »
I'm happy about this.  I stopped being a Nolan fan (as a head coach) a while ago.  I listened to him most weeks on a morning radio show and he always seemed a bit dense.  Of course he was almost always on the defensive because he losing. 

The defense should be better that it shows.  JT  should be a back up.  He's horrible. 

I don't have much hope for Singeltary.  but you never know.  Maybe these guys will step up for him.

Are you a Murph and Mac listener? 

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:07:01 PM »
We're going about this all wrong. We need to kill off John York and get the team back to Eddie. Ever since Eddie left the teams been in shambles. We dump the system that worked for us (West Coast Offense), can't draft worth shit for the last 5-8 years (with the exception of Gore and Willis), and don't have any real leaders on the team. You used to have guys on there that were 6 and 7 round picks that always did well, but now even our 3rd picks suck. Miss the Bill Walsh influence too.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:45:24 PM »
Are you a Murph and Mac listener? 

HEHEHE,  yeah  i am.  Only during football season.   I switch between them and Getty and Armstrong (on 650 or 910) and listen to Ralph and Tom every chance i get.   

U 2? 

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 09:08:05 PM »
I get up every morning to walk the dog at 5am and listen to them in one ear while the other takes in nature (it was cold as shit this morning).  At 6am i'm in the shower listening to them, then i get dressed and eat breakfast listening to them, leave for school at 645, sit in teh parking lot till 745 listening to them, listen to them as i walk to class and then turn it off when the teacher walks in.  I think brian murphy, in particular, is the best thing KNBR has going for them.  Radnich is a one trick pony (albiet a funny one), fitz is an ass, brooks is stupid, ralph is still good, but not as much as before, Tommy is tommy and damon is annoying, but very smart.  Pauly is a DJ working for a sports station.  he does know his music, but he can't keep up with the nity gritty of the sports world.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »
It took me  while to get into murph and mac.  About a year.  But i enjoy listening to them on the way to work about 20 minutes everyday.  I agree about Gary too.  I never listen to him.  I go to  Ron Owens when i can.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:05:01 AM »
We're going about this all wrong. We need to kill off John York and get the team back to Eddie. Ever since Eddie left the teams been in shambles. We dump the system that worked for us (West Coast Offense), can't draft worth shit for the last 5-8 years (with the exception of Gore and Willis), and don't have any real leaders on the team. You used to have guys on there that were 6 and 7 round picks that always did well, but now even our 3rd picks suck. Miss the Bill Walsh influence too.

I listened to Singeltary's press conference yesterday.   I was not impressed.  He sounded lost. 

I'm currently reading a book called:  "The Genius" about Bill Walsh.   One of things Bill says in it is that you can't out "intensity" a team, you can only out execute it.  Singletary's approach seems to fundamentally opposite of Walsh's.  Did you know that Eddie D was just 32 years old when he hired Bill Walsh?  He was really looking for a way to get Shula or Knox to coach the niners.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:35:43 AM »

Yep.  Getting rid of Eddie was the beginning of the end. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 11:15:25 AM »
I'm happy about this.  I stopped being a Nolan fan (as a head coach) a while ago. 

before or after the beating my steelers gave them early last season?

E
E

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 12:19:18 PM »
before or after the beating my steelers gave them early last season?

E

HA HA.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 12:31:36 PM »
HA HA.

the 9ers were 2 - 0 if i remember correctly, high priced free agents and ol tiny hands looking "adequate"

then it all came tumbling down after a trip to the great steel city 8)

E

E

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
the 9ers were 2 - 0 if i remember correctly, high priced free agents and ol tiny hands looking "adequate"

then it all came tumbling down after a trip to the great steel city 8)

E

And your point is?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 12:48:58 PM »
And your point is?

my point is you were probably on his bandwagon until they played the steelers ;D

E
E

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »
my point is you were probably on his bandwagon until they played the steelers ;D

E

Nah,  i got off his band wagon sometime after that when i saw his consistent conservative approach and what seem to be a lack of imagination.   The Steeler's game was just one game and it was good indicator of just how far they had still had to go.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 06:48:30 PM »

I listened to Singeltary's press conference yesterday.   I was not impressed.  He sounded lost. 

I'm currently reading a book called:  "The Genius" about Bill Walsh.   One of things Bill says in it is that you can't out "intensity" a team, you can only out execute it.  Singletary's approach seems to fundamentally opposite of Walsh's.  Did you know that Eddie D was just 32 years old when he hired Bill Walsh?  He was really looking for a way to get Shula or Knox to coach the niners.

I just started this book.  Bill Walsh makes every other coach in NFL history (yes, Lombardi, shula, landry, cowher etc etc etc...) look like an idiot.  He was absolutely brilliant.  There were times he would tell a player to onl get 4 yards on a play, even if they could get more.  he knew exactly what plays he wanted to run and had situations worked out like you can' imagine.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 07:06:46 AM »
I just started this book.  Bill Walsh makes every other coach in NFL history (yes, Lombardi, shula, landry, cowher etc etc etc...) look like an idiot.  He was absolutely brilliant.  There were times he would tell a player to onl get 4 yards on a play, even if they could get more.  he knew exactly what plays he wanted to run and had situations worked out like you can' imagine.

He was so ahead of his time.  Stanford players (before he coached the 49ers) remarked that it was nice to have a coach that was as smart or smarter than the players.

Such poetic justice that just 3 years after taking over the Niners, Walsh leads them to a super against the Bengals who's Paul Brown snubbed him as a head coach and said he was too soft.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 03:46:43 PM »
SINGLETARY!!!  First he sits JTO on his worthless ass and puts in hill (BRILLIANT).  then he goes over to Vernon "Im a big dumb gorilla with stupid hair and great combine numbers and no NFL ability" Davis and kicks him outta the game for being a me first athlete after he picked up a stupid penalt for grabbin a guys helmet after a 1st down.  Thats what I'm talking about!!! 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 05:19:51 PM »
they shoudl have hired the guy with the long neck who would beat on the goalposts all the time.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 06:30:30 PM »
merton hanks had the long neck, kenny norton jr was the one who would beat on the goalposts.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 10:52:21 PM »
merton hanks had the long neck, kenny norton jr was the one who would beat on the goalposts.

lol.  Nerd (talking about 240).   :D  I loved Hanks and his dance.  Miss Norton too. 

Singletary was great.  His post-game press conference was awesome. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 08:39:46 AM »
lol.  Nerd (talking about 240).   :D  I loved Hanks and his dance.  Miss Norton too. 

I liked what he did during the game.  I'm still not sold on him however.   It will be interesting to see if he does well enough to assume the head coaching job next year.

JTO  is terrible.  He is not the answer.  This team needs to start over with the O-line and QB. 

Speculation is that Martz will be gone at the end of the year.   Also Murch and Mac brought up the point that all Martz QB's get hammered. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 09:10:04 AM »

Awesome? I think he made himself look like a bufoon. He looked lost and distant up there behind the podium with those beady eyes of his.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
I liked what he did during the game.  I'm still not sold on him however.   It will be interesting to see if he does well enough to assume the head coaching job next year.

JTO  is terrible.  He is not the answer.  This team needs to start over with the O-line and QB. 

Speculation is that Martz will be gone at the end of the year.   Also Murch and Mac brought up the point that all Martz QB's get hammered. 

At this point, the only opening is Seattle and I'd say Mora will get that job unless he takes the Univ. of Wash job after Willingham gets fired. 

JTO started strong, but has sure stunk up the field.