Author Topic: The Audacity Of Hope  (Read 1804 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: The Audacity Of Hope
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 09:18:36 AM »
How could journalism be a profession with next to know accountability?

Also, in knowing a few teachers over my lifetime on a personal basis, the "3 months" off were not a reason they became a teacher.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 08:29:48 AM »
Uhh are you serious? Journalists hide behind annonomyus sources, slander the hell out of public figures and then print one centemeter retractions buried where no one can see, can hide behind press sheild laws and the absolute malice standard for defamation. Journalists have zero accountability. My last year of college I took a law and ethics in journalism course as a condition of graduation. The course was taught by a fairly prominent media lawyer. We spent the first eight weeks going over the law. The final week of class he began the ethics portion by asking the class "Can anyone tell me what the ethical standards are in journalism"? No one responded. He then said, "Thats the right answer, because there are none." He was 100% right. How many journalists make up stories, attach quotes to people who never said what the newspaper claims they said, etc. etc.  If you ever saw the show "The Wire" on HBO and watched the final season, you will get some first hand insight into how newspapers operate. I recomend you check it out. 

As far as teaching goes, maybe you know a bunch of self righteous moralists who pretend getting three months pay for no work isn't one of the reasons they got into the profession, but thats bullshit. If your a woman who has young children or who wants to become pregnant, its a definite perk to the job. If you value the ability to take vacation time, or earn extra income during the summer, its also a huge perk. Whether they admit it or not, its true.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 08:41:35 AM »
Uhh are you serious? Journalists hide behind annonomyus sources, slander the hell out of public figures and then print one centemeter retractions buried where no one can see, can hide behind press sheild laws and the absolute malice standard for defamation. Journalists have zero accountability. My last year of college I took a law and ethics in journalism course as a condition of graduation. The course was taught by a fairly prominent media lawyer. We spent the first eight weeks going over the law. The final week of class he began the ethics portion by asking the class "Can anyone tell me what the ethical standards are in journalism"? No one responded. He then said, "Thats the right answer, because there are none." He was 100% right. How many journalists make up stories, attach quotes to people who never said what the newspaper claims they said, etc. etc.  If you ever saw the show "The Wire" on HBO and watched the final season, you will get some first hand insight into how newspapers operate. I recomend you check it out. 

As far as teaching goes, maybe you know a bunch of self righteous moralists who pretend getting three months pay for no work isn't one of the reasons they got into the profession, but thats bullshit. If your a woman who has young children or who wants to become pregnant, its a definite perk to the job. If you value the ability to take vacation time, or earn extra income during the summer, its also a huge perk. Whether they admit it or not, its true.

Sorry, I don't buy it on journalism.  It seems you are painting journalists as basically liars.  After all they are mostly liberals right?  ::)  Who was the journalist in your family?  I don't deny there are, as in any profession, some bad apples.  But from an integrity standpoint i believe journalist strive for the truth.   Now, how they get that truth might be unethical, but reporting the truth is the basis of their passion.

As for teachers, they don't make jack crap.  And from what i remember most don't get paid during the summer. And even if they did, they still don;t get paid much overall.  People teach because they have a passion for it.   

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 08:47:22 AM »
I am the journalist. I majored in journalism. I worked for a newspaper. I am speaking from real life experience, not conjecture. You can disagree with me all you want, the fact of the matter is that I am right.

As far as teaching goes, your also wrong, but think whatever you want. I can only speak from the standpoint of the NYC public school system. Maybe its different in California but I doubt it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 08:55:06 AM »
I am the journalist. I majored in journalism. I worked for a newspaper. I am speaking from real life experience, not conjecture. You can disagree with me all you want, the fact of the matter is that I am right.

As far as teaching goes, your also wrong, but think whatever you want. I can only speak from the standpoint of the NYC public school system. Maybe its different in California but I doubt it.

I hear ya.  I just think it's skewed.  I don't know the NYC school system, but i do think things are quite different in NYC versus California in that regard. 

However, thanks for the info.