Author Topic: San Francisco weighs decriminalizing prostitution  (Read 4076 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: San Francisco weighs decriminalizing prostitution
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 09:07:09 AM »
LOL you should come live in houston for a few years then san frans arid climate will be a welcome change from houston humidity...thats actually why i liked it hahahah

San Fran's Climate is actually not so arid.  Everything around it is though and i live about an hour away.  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 09:14:20 AM »

San Fran's Climate is actually not so arid.  Everything around it is though and i live about an hour away.  
I loved it when i was there took a whole day and walked all around the city with a couple of friends it was awesome.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
I worry about our society when stuff like this happens.   :-\

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 10:55:42 AM »

It already has happened.   And it's been happening. 

And it won't stop until the white house is a pyramid and a center for gay marriage.   ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 11:02:42 AM »
when was it that prostitution didn't happen?  I guess we could go taliban on society and that would fix it :D  Just killem all...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 11:04:53 AM »
It already has happened.   And it's been happening. 

And it won't stop until the white house is a pyramid and a center for gay marriage.   ;D

Hey it wouldn't surprise me. 

Next up is murdering disabled babies.   :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »
when was it that prostitution didn't happen?  I guess we could go taliban on society and that would fix it :D  Just killem all...

When was it that murder didn't happen?  Not a good argument. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 11:11:14 AM »
When was it that murder didn't happen?  Not a good argument. 
murder? lol...  when a city talks about legalizing murder you can use that as a comeback...  I didn't make an argument to start with...  you said you worry about society when this happens, I just said when has it not happened in society?  Yea, murder has always happened, but nobody is talking about legalizing murder lol... 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 11:15:38 AM »
murder? lol...  when a city talks about legalizing murder you can use that as a comeback...  I didn't make an argument to start with...  you said you worry about society when this happens, I just said when has it not happened in society?  Yea, murder has always happened, but nobody is talking about legalizing murder lol... 

Oh please.  You mentioned prostitution being around forever to justify legalizing prostitution.  The fact a practice has been taking place for thousands of years does not in any way legitimatize the practice.   

Or maybe I’m wrong.  Why did you mention that prostitution has been practiced forever? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 11:21:14 AM »
Oh please.  You mentioned prostitution being around forever to justify legalizing prostitution.  The fact a practice has been taking place for thousands of years does not in any way legitimatize the practice.   

Or maybe I’m wrong.  Why did you mention that prostitution has been practiced forever? 

I mentioned it because of what you said!  I was just replying to your comment.  It is something to consider, you can't stop it, it's been around forever, why not control it in some way.  It's one way to look at it.  But saying the same for murder is silly.  The city can legalize prostitution, they cannot legalize murder.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »
I mentioned it because of what you said!  I was just replying to your comment.  It is something to consider, you can't stop it, it's been around forever, why not control it in some way.  It's one way to look at it.  But saying the same for murder is silly.  The city can legalize prostitution, they cannot legalize murder.

O.K.  I stand by statement that your argument doesn't work.  You can look at any act (including murder) and make the claim that "you can't stop it, it's been around forever, why not control it in some way."  That's not how we should make policy.  We first determine whether the conduct should be permissible.  We then regulate if necessary.  If we have problems regulating the conduct, we fix the regulatory part, we don't legalize the activity.  Our society will never completely eliminate any outlawed activity.  It is always, for the most part, about control.  Prostitution is no different.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Prostitution doesn't seem to be much of a problem in Nevada.

And there are still murders.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 12:49:40 PM »
O.K.  I stand by statement that your argument doesn't work.  You can look at any act (including murder) and make the claim that "you can't stop it, it's been around forever, why not control it in some way."  That's not how we should make policy.  We first determine whether the conduct should be permissible.  We then regulate if necessary.  If we have problems regulating the conduct, we fix the regulatory part, we don't legalize the activity.  Our society will never completely eliminate any outlawed activity.  It is always, for the most part, about control.  Prostitution is no different.   
::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
Prostitution doesn't seem to be much of a problem in Nevada.

And there are still murders.

And rape, robbery, arson, etc. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
And rape, robbery, arson, etc. 

But legalizing prostitution hasn't changed anything.  Except maybe free up more money to fight those other things

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 01:09:25 PM »
But legalizing prostitution hasn't changed anything.  Except maybe free up more money to fight those other things

How do you know it hasn't changed anything? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 01:17:42 PM »
::)
dude, you're crazy...  nobody would look at murder and say it's been around forever, we can't stop it, might as well legalize it... you can't relate the two, your argument is dumb.  I'm not arguing anything, you said you worry when stuff like this happens in society.  I was pointing out that it always has happened.  It's not new.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
dude, you're crazy...  nobody would look at murder and say it's been around forever, we can't stop it, might as well legalize it... you can't relate the two, your argument is dumb.  I'm not arguing anything, you said you worry when stuff like this happens in society.  I was pointing out that it always has happened.  It's not new.
its your logic that is dumb hugo you said well b/c its been around forever and you cant stop it we should legalize it beach is right in following of your dumb logic that would also apply to murder. You need more reasoning than that to legalize prostitution is what he is getting at i assume. I agree its not the same but more along the lines of reasons like ozmo said frees up money and like you said it can be regulated.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 04:24:30 PM »
its your logic that is dumb hugo you said well b/c its been around forever and you cant stop it we should legalize it beach is right in following of your dumb logic that would also apply to murder. You need more reasoning than that to legalize prostitution is what he is getting at i assume. I agree its not the same but more along the lines of reasons like ozmo said frees up money and like you said it can be regulated.

Correct. 

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2008, 04:35:24 PM »
good to see a different thread on the political board  :)

if all vices became legal we would see a different society and a better police force.

did google search, found a short article.

How To Defeat Organized Crime
http://members.tripod.com/orgcrime/defeatoc.htm

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »
good to see a different thread on the political board  :)

if all vices became legal we would see a different society and a better police force.

did google search, found a short article.

How To Defeat Organized Crime
http://members.tripod.com/orgcrime/defeatoc.htm
there is a reason most vices are illegal for most its b/c when ppl indulge themselves in them they cant maintain a normal or "healthy" lifestlye.

The mob would just find something else to get into.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2008, 08:39:06 AM »
lol @ stopping organized crime. People make the same argument for legalizing drugs and its a stupid one. No one but the wealthy will be able to afford the drugs and sex, and the drugs will be of piss poor quality. There will always be organized crime and they will always have their hooks in both areas.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2008, 08:45:20 AM »
lol @ stopping organized crime. People make the same argument for legalizing drugs and its a stupid one. No one but the wealthy will be able to afford the drugs and sex, and the drugs will be of piss poor quality. There will always be organized crime and they will always have their hooks in both areas.

That's stupid dude and a empty argument (save stopping organized crime which in the case of drugs will just allow them to convert to legit operations).  Legalized drugs is working fine in Amsterdam and is affordable.  Same goes for prostitution in Amsterdam and Nevada.   It's expensive now, and people have the ability to by it as easy as making a trip to the market.   

What would be good is the government would be able to tax it.  What makes it expensive now is trouble it takes to get illegal substances into the black market place. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 08:53:03 AM »
 ::) Its a stupid and empty argument that organized crime wont deal with prostitutes or drugs because its made legal. Great point.

Its expensive now and people have the ability to buy it as easy as going to the market? What planet are you on? You think your average joe cheating on his wife that works at the local Wal Mart is shelling out $1000 bucks to sleep with some high priced hooker? Why wouldn't he go to his local brothel/ massage parlor and pay half as much or, just drive around a bad neihborhood and pay $50?

The only argument of any substance you made is Amerstdam, which is the only place on earth both vices are legal and to a degree legalization is successful. You think there is no organized crime in Amsterdam?

I agree in decriminalizing sex and drugs to the extent there is little or no enforcement of the law, but legalization in the name of stopping organized crime is total nonsense.