Author Topic: Am i really missing out not having a Post Workout Shake?  (Read 3451 times)

Boost

• Getbig V
Am i really missing out not having a Post Workout Shake?
« on: October 24, 2008, 02:11:34 PM »
I never have a shake post workout, i usually have a coke while walking home from the gym, then a meal about 1-2 hours after the workout.

Is it really that neccessary to get some protein in straight away? or all magazine/ Supp hype?

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
Re: Am i really missing out not having a Post Workout Shake?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »
I never have a shake post workout, i usually have a coke while walking home from the gym, then a meal about 1-2 hours after the workout.
Is it really that neccessary to get some protein in straight away? or all magazine/ Supp hype?

Not IMO.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:41:11 PM »
Yes.
I hate the State.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »
if your trying to grow a post workout shake with whey and some simple carbs (dextrose maltodextrin waxy maize..etec ect) is very beneficial and will trenedously boost recovery and thus growth.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 03:44:32 PM »

Why wait up to two hours to get some protein in your system? In the time it takes you to down that Coke, you can easily consume a protein shake, You can even consume something as simple as 24-32 oz of milk, if you're SO concerned about "magazine/supp hype".

Plus, depending on where and when you shop (i.e. GNC, during Gold Card week, and looking for marked-down products), you can get RTDs or protein powders cheap.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 11:20:56 PM »
i'd say yes.. because i notice after a few days if i'm not being consistent with it. I always have a shake and then a meal right after. or at least try to get SOMETHING in right after... imho post workout is just as important as breakfast!

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 11:26:59 PM »
if your trying to grow a post workout shake with whey and some simple carbs (dextrose maltodextrin waxy maize..etec ect) is very beneficial and will trenedously boost recovery and thus growth.

actually malto and waxy maize are complex carbs  ;)

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 11:29:50 PM »
Yes

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »

yep

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »
If you don't drink a post-workout shake you'll be fine but I wouldn't wait 2 hours after training to eat.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 10:11:20 AM »
yeah okay technically complx if your going by the absolutely useless definition of complex and simple that deal with the molecule structure or whatever the fuck, but for practical purpouses complexand simple refers to DIGESTION RATES not the completely usless bullshit molecule structure of di tri peptide or whatever the fuck...

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 10:35:30 AM »
yeah okay technically complx if your going by the absolutely useless definition of complex and simple that deal with the molecule structure or whatever the fuck, but for practical purpouses complexand simple refers to DIGESTION RATES not the completely usless bullshit molecule structure of di tri peptide or whatever the fuck...

spoken like a true scientist :D

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 12:53:56 PM »
some studies have shown that CHO ingestion post workout has little to no effect greater then simply PRO alone. I would opt for whey with some milk and be done with it. Intra workout shakes and pre workout shakes may be better then PWO simply from a theorectical standpoint. I think it necessary to consume something with rapid digestion rates to improve recovery on all levels.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »
yes, study after study shows the benefit of pre/during/post shakes.

the best combination of which is:

creatine + protein + carbs shake.

studies also show that extra calories around the workout help increase muscle gains - so at worse make sure you have at least a big meal either before of straight after.

for simplicity (and cost) - try milk or choc milk pre and post followed by a solid meal an hour or so after.
175lbs by 31st July

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 11:40:16 PM »
haha, just thought id correct ya, since u have a tiny itsy bitsy habit of doing that yourself  ;)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 01:26:21 AM »
Both my meals pre and post workout are generally 50% solid food 50% liquid. So a shake (whey) and some chicken and i'll have the exact same after the workout.

I keep it pretty simple as im cutting (keto), and it seems ok.
No doubt about it...

naturalguy

• Getbig II
  • animalpak.com
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »
If you guys are interested in the science, here is the latest from the ISSN on nutrient timing:

http://www.jissn.com/content/5/1/17

Conclusion

The scientific literature associated with nutrient timing is an extremely popular, and thus ever-changing, area of research. Upon reviewing the available literature, the following conclusions can be drawn at this point in time:

• Prolonged exercise (> 60 – 90 min) of moderate to high intensity exercise will deplete the internal stores of energy, and prudent timing of nutrient delivery can help offset these changes.

• During intense exercise, regular consumption (10 – 15 fl oz.) of CHO/electrolyte solution delivering 6 – 8% CHO (6 – 8 g CHO/100 ml fluid) should be consumed every 15 – 20 min to sustain blood glucose levels.

• Glucose, fructose, sucrose and other high-glycemic CHO sources are easily digested, but fructose consumption should be minimized as it is absorbed at a slower rate and increases the likelihood of gastrointestinal problems.

• The addition of PRO (0.15 – 0.25 g PRO/kg/day) to CHO at all time points, especially post-exercise, is well tolerated and may promote greater restoration of muscle glycogen.

• Ingestion of 6 – 20 grams of EAAs and 30 – 40 grams of high-glycemic CHO within three hours after an exercise bout and immediately before exercise have been shown to significantly stimulate muscle PRO synthesis.

• Daily post-exercise ingestion of a CHO + PRO supplement promotes greater increases in strength and improvements in lean tissue and body fat % during regular resistance training.

• Milk PRO sources (e.g. whey and casein) exhibit different kinetic digestion patterns and may subsequently differ in their support of training adaptations.

• Addition of Cr to a CHO + PRO supplement in conjunction with regular resistance training facilitates greater improvements in strength and body composition as compared with when no Cr is consumed.

• Dietary focus should center on adequate availability and delivery of CHO and PRO. However, including small amounts of fat does not appear to be harmful, and may help to control glycemic responses during exercise.

• Irrespective of timing, regular ingestion of snacks or meals providing both CHO and PRO (3: 1 CHO: PRO ratio) helps to promote recovery and replenishment of muscle glycogen.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 03:06:35 PM »

making an adddition to my previous comment..

a post workout shake will be beneficial, however pre workout shakes and intra workout shakes IMO are even more beneficial. and for best gains use all three.  IMO 30-60g whey 45-60 mins prior to working out with skim milk and cinnamon. intra workout= 30-60g whey + 50-150g glucose. immidietly post workout = 20-40 g whey + skim milk + cinnamon.

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 03:12:20 PM »
i usually drink powerade powder and creatine mono intra workout but never heard of whey in an intra workout.. doesn't it denature if sitting in a liquid for too long... what's the logic behind that?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 03:17:33 PM »
i usually drink powerade powder and creatine mono intra workout but never heard of whey in an intra workout.. doesn't it denature if sitting in a liquid for too long... what's the logic behind that?
no it doesnt denature... well the term denatuyre is kind of a misnomer anyway..but thats besides the point..

ok i will explain

the pre workout whey is in order to get blood levels of amino acids elevated to an extremne degree, this inhibits protein breakdown to a degree and also helps spike protein synthesis and aids in glycogensis.  the cinnamon is to sensitize muscle cell insulin receptors and the skim milk is for a slow acting source of glucose to try to make sure glycogen is full from set one of the workout.

the intra workout whey protein is in order to get blood levels of amino acids POST WORKOUT elevated, in order to have available amino acids to use for protein synthesis. after hard trianing the body can use soemwhere in that range of amino acids completely. its intra workout because of the digestion rate.   the glucose intra workout is a source of energy, in order to use instead of glycogen and protein.

the post workout whey and skim milk is to make sure nutrients are in the blood stream while your body is going through the long process of digesting whole foods (which will make up the next meal). and again the cinnamon for insulin sensitivity.

phemonmmill32

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 03:33:09 PM »
thx for clarifying.... never really buy skim milk but if i use a lowfat, say 1 or 2% milk, would it inhibit any of those processes you touched on in the pre or post?

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 07:58:43 PM »
thx for clarifying.... never really buy skim milk but if i use a lowfat, say 1 or 2% milk, would it inhibit any of those processes you touched on in the pre or post?

no- fullfat milk has been shown to increase muscle gains more than no fat or low fat milk - despite being calorie equal - and having less protein and carbs per ounce ( the fat has some muscle building properties that need to be further studied)
175lbs by 31st July

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »

I used to wait until the end of my workout to consume my BCAA/Carb drink.
It was okay.

DonkeyKong convinced me to try the “intra-workout” shake method.
By drinking the same concoction little by little throughout the course of the session I’ve noticed a substantial difference, which I attribute to a more effective feeding of the muscles.

A slower, but constant absorption means your muscles are being fed the whole time, rather than waiting until the end of the workout to consume all those valuable nutrients at once.
Sure, the latter may be better than nothing at all, but it also means that for the hour (or whatever) you trained beforehand, you had a bunch of “empty” blood pumping into those muscles. It seems like somewhat of an afterthought, and not nearly as effective.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 11:15:43 PM »
well in the pre workout shake i would try to avoid the fats, since the glucose in the intra workout shake is going to spike insulin pretty damn high, and thus any fat in the bloodstream will most likely be stored as fat.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 06:34:16 AM »
the negative aspects of pre and intra shakes is that blood goes to the stomach to digest the food when it is needed in the muscle being worked.

If the pre WO meal has enough carbs and protein it shouldn't be necessary i think

I've never seen Coleman have a shake in the middle of a workout, only after...
tank u jesus