Author Topic: Was 2008 a shift towards a more classic pro physique?  (Read 1759 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Was 2008 a shift towards a more classic pro physique?
« on: October 26, 2008, 08:41:28 AM »
Dexter won the two biggest shows and Heath was a major player . Toney Freeman and his x man V taper also won a couple pro events as well.
Seems to me the shift has been made from sheer freaky mass as the winning pro physique.
We bore witness to a still thick and massive but off form Jay lose his title on stage as well.
Ripped to the bone Branch Warren won a well deserved most muscular award but his overall physique could only capture 4th at the ASC.
As I reflect on this it motivates me to stay involved with pro IFBB contests.
Do you think this shift to a more classic pro physique is better or what?
Howard

spinnis

Re: Was 2008 a shift towards a more classic pro physique?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 08:48:26 AM »
for fuck sake didnt you leave?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 08:49:46 AM »
Jay should have won based on what he looked like on Sat. night.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 08:50:38 AM »
I have been here for a decade, no chance of you haters getting that lucky, sorry.
I am like bad fart, I just linger and you have to smell it!
I had a few drinks last night and got a little crazy on here, I admit that, but it was all good and fun.

What do you think of the 2008 pro judging?

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 08:51:12 AM »
exactly, he is one of those guys that so pathetic he doesn't realize that no one likes him.
I am a big baby

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 08:52:39 AM »
getting tired of this "classical physique" and shape, symmetry proportion bullshit, it's bodyBUILDING the biggest freakiest motherfuccker should win, period.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:53:54 AM »

No, he just made a thread in the G and O saying goodnite ::) His ego is bigger than MooseJays.
E

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 08:56:50 AM »
exactly, he is one of those guys that so pathetic he doesn't realize that no one likes him.
Obviously you don't like me for whatever reason. But hey that is life and some folks will never like you.
I enjoy get big and have actually met some cool BB folks here like Ron , Issac and even get to talk with Chic, etc. I was a tad drunk last night ( itwas sat night hehe) so things got a tad crazy but no harm done in my book.
If you want to post I am an asshole, fine , knock yourself out, you wouldn't be the first nor the last.
Good luck, enjoy the board and try to lighten up buddy, thanks.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 08:58:18 AM »
getting tired of this "classical physique" and shape, symmetry proportion bullshit, it's bodyBUILDING the biggest freakiest motherfuccker should win, period.
Branch did seem to get the biggest cheer from the crowd when he posed at the Arnold.
Lots of fans still like the big freaky guys like you said.
I admire the mass but don't think it should be the main factor overall in winning.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 09:00:18 AM »
No, he just made a thread in the G and O saying goodnite ::) His ego is bigger than MooseJays.
I was a lil' drunk last night and have to admit that was a pretty lame thread.I feel dumb for posting it trust me.
This thread is about the pros, not me however.You are correct , a thread about me saying some dumb thing is of little interest and a waste of board space.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 09:00:43 AM »
I was a lil' drunk last night and have to admit that was a pretty lame thread.I feel dumb for posting it trust me.
This thread is about the pros, not me however.You are correct , a thread about me saying some dumb thing is of little interest and a waste of board space.

Fair enough.
E

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 09:02:40 AM »
Fair enough.
Thanks, when I am lame/gay poster I am first to admit when called on it.
So, any thoughts on the pro winners in 2008?

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 09:04:23 AM »

So, any thoughts on the pro winners in 2008?
I haven't really paid attention. I have been trying my best to make sure we have our own contest here, the Mr. Getbig 3. But there is no accountability on the organizers part.
E

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 09:07:26 AM »
I haven't really paid attention. I have been trying my best to make sure we have our own contest here, the Mr. Getbig 3. But there is no accountability on the organizers part.
PM Ron , he migh have some good ideas on that one.
I don't get into on line contest, but find it fun and am gald it helps promote bodybuilding at least.
Organization troubles is a very common issue with a lot of bodybuilding contests of any kind, trust me.
Good luck are you getting in the GET BIG III?

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 09:09:48 AM »
PM Ron , he migh have some good ideas on that one.
I don't get into on line contest, but find it fun and am gald it helps promote bodybuilding at least.
Organization troubles is a very common issue with a lot of bodybuilding contests of any kind, trust me.
Good luck are you getting in the GET BIG III?

No I am not entering, I just want to see a fair contest for those who have trained hard for it. Seems like I am fighting an uphill battle though. You see, Mindspin stole control of the contest and changes the dates on a whim and refuses to release any information. He thinks a cloak and dagger type contest is fun for everyone ::) I disagree and want all the information posted a.s.a.p.
E

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »
no trend

Had a 2006 Jay Cutler showed up he would of been Mr Olympia

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:50 AM »
to say that dexter has a "classic" physique is a slap to the face of Frank Zane

I will, however, agree that Dexter has a "classic" physique compared to the rest of the freaks out there, though

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 09:13:42 AM »
no trend

Had a 2006 Jay Cutler showed up he would of been Mr Olympia
I would agree with you except this seemed to be the trend in EVERY 2008 pro show.
Winners were Dexter, Heath, Freeman, Melvin, etc.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »
I would agree with you except this seemed to be the trend in EVERY 2008 pro show.
Winners were Dexter, Heath, Freeman, Melvin, etc.

but what mass monsters should of beaten those guys?

As i said, there is no trend. The best physiques win the show period.

bulkdawg562

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
Dexter won the two biggest shows and Heath was a major player . Toney Freeman and his x man V taper also won a couple pro events as well.
Seems to me the shift has been made from sheer freaky mass as the winning pro physique.
We bore witness to a still thick and massive but off form Jay lose his title on stage as well.
Ripped to the bone Branch Warren won a well deserved most muscular award but his overall physique could only capture 4th at the ASC.
As I reflect on this it motivates me to stay involved with pro IFBB contests.
Do you think this shift to a more classic pro physique is better or what?
Howard

Let's hope Professional Bodybuilding is moving toward a more classic physique, we've all witnessed BBers with freaky mass and let's be honest these physiques do have a wow factor but at what expense. At the expense of the health of the athlete and negative media attention, if this industry is shifting towards a more pleasing physique it can only be a win win situation. There would be healthier athletes and it would bring back a more respectable reputation. With the addition of the 202 class and the current line up of athletes like Anthony, Heath, Freeman we are witnessing a much needed change in Professional Bodybuilding.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 10:30:59 AM »

I think it's you who is the delusional one ::)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 11:19:28 AM »
Let's hope Professional Bodybuilding is moving toward a more classic physique, we've all witnessed BBers with freaky mass and let's be honest these physiques do have a wow factor but at what expense. At the expense of the health of the athlete and negative media attention, if this industry is shifting towards a more pleasing physique it can only be a win win situation. There would be healthier athletes and it would bring back a more respectable reputation. With the addition of the 202 class and the current line up of athletes like Anthony, Heath, Freeman we are witnessing a much needed change in Professional Bodybuilding.
I do agree and have sat baack in awe of some of the freaks, no question.
I cheered long and loud when Branch cranked off one ripped freaky shot after another at the last Arnold.
I forgot to mention the under 202 class as you just did and I agree, that is big help in builiding a fan base and more show hype. I think the Arnold most muscular award gives a place for a freaky physique and that might be a good idea for other pro events.

bulkdawg562

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »
Well lets hope the 202s dont bring too much hype, I think we would all like to see this division do well on it's own merits. From previous contest results looks like Henry and Lewis are the best contenders fighting for this title, It was great to see flex lewis win this years Europa 202s.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 06:52:21 PM »
Well lets hope the 202s dont bring too much hype, I think we would all like to see this division do well on it's own merits. From previous contest results looks like Henry and Lewis are the best contenders fighting for this title, It was great to see flex lewis win this years Europa 202s.
Good pts and the 202 brings a mini show within the main event which adds to the fans' experience overall.
Howard

bulkdawg562

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
Good pts and the 202 brings a mini show within the main event which adds to the fans' experience overall.
Howard

Have show promoters considered a people's choice award at Pro comps?