Author Topic: cheat meal count as what in your daily 6 meals timing?  (Read 1965 times)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
cheat meal count as what in your daily 6 meals timing?
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »
If u guys cheat on your diet and say u have like pizza or lasanga or soft pretzels for a meal...will u count the junk food in place of your nomral food? or will u still get in the 6 clean meals plus cheat food

right now i am forcing down eggs cuz i had some pizza a few hours ago...what do u do??
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: cheat meal count as what in your daily 6 meals timing???????????????
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »
I have two bad meals/month. Any other time my intake is pretty strict. Only bad thing is I end up missing one meal per weekend.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 07:25:12 PM »
If u guys cheat on your diet and say u have like pizza or lasanga or soft pretzels for a meal...will u count the junk food in place of your nomral food? or will u still get in the 6 clean meals plus cheat food

right now i am forcing down eggs cuz i had some pizza a few hours ago...what do u do??
I use the kicthen sink method and have been carbing up for over a decade. I am way out of contest shape but can fart like hurricane with my larger belly mass to push the gas out.

When I diet I have to cut back on overall quanity of food and no big cheat meals or I stay fat as a hippo.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »

no need for 6 meals at all - another bodybuilding myth. it may even be counter productive in terms of gains.
175lbs by 31st July

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »
no need for 6 meals at all - another bodybuilding myth. it may even be counter productive in terms of gains.
I disagree for most young bucks and top hardcore guys they need at least that.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 07:33:40 PM »
hmmm what u suggest?
w

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 07:33:47 PM »
I disagree for most young bucks and top hardcore guys they need at least that.

only if on gear or eating more than 500g of protein a day.
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 07:35:02 PM »
hmmm what u suggest?
3 or 4 meals a day every 4 or 5 hours.

100g of protein each meal.
175lbs by 31st July

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 07:37:53 PM »
3 or 4 meals a day every 4 or 5 hours.

100g of protein each meal.
very interesting...what kind of changes will i notice u think? do u eat like this? how ahve your resluts been and how u come up w/ this?
w

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »
The effect of meal frequency on body composition during 12-
weeks of strength training

Background: Human trials on the effect of meal frequency on body composition are
scarce. Short-term studies show increased rate of protein synthesis immediately after
intake of amino acids (Rennie 2002), and frequent meals are shown to aid in the
preservation of lean body mass when dieting (Iwao 1996). Consequently it could be
hypothesised that in response to strength training interventions, more frequent meals
will give larger muscle mass accumulation and lower fat mass than fewer meals.
Objective: The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of dividing the daily
food intake in 3 versus 6 meals per day on changes in body composition in young
men and women performing strength training over 12 weeks.
Design: Men (n=33) and women (n=15) aged 21 to 35 with at least one year of
previous strength training experience were matched according to strength and gender
and then randomly assigned to either a 6M group or a 3M group. The prescribed total
dietary intake was equal between the groups and was calculated to give a positive
energy balance of approximately 1200 KJ/day, a protein intake of 1.5-1.7 g/kg/day
and a carbohydrate intake of 5-7 g/kg/day (Table 1). During the training period the
dietary intake was controlled by repeated 24-hours recalls. All participants performed
the same periodized 2-split strength-training programme, training four times per
week, giving each muscle group one heavy session and one light session per week. In
the heavy sessions, training intensity varied between 10 and 3 RM sets, and 3-6 sets
were performed in each exercise. Project leaders, giving every participant the
necessary assistance, supervised all heavy sessions. Determination of body
composition was performed with DEXA at the beginning of, in the middle of and
immediately after the trial.
Results: A total of 16 men and 11 women completed the project. The 3M group had a
strong tendency towards greater gain in LBM than the 6M group after twelve weeks
of strength training, 1.71% {-0.18, 3.59}, p=0,075. After linear regression analysis
the difference was significant when adjusted for gender and energy intake (p=0.045),
when adjusted for gender and protein intake (p=0.027), and when adjusted for gender,
protein intake, carbohydrate intake and fat intake (p=0.011). There were no
significant differences in change in fat mass between the groups, but a tendency
towards a greater gain in the 3M group, 7.33% {-5.23, 19.90}, p=0.241. The 3M
group had a 2.87% {0.62, 5.12} larger weight gain than the 6M group, p=0.014. Both
groups had significant increases in strength in all test exercises. The 3M group had a
larger strength gain in bench press, 10.85% {3.38, 18.32}, p=0.006 and triceps
pushdown, 12.81%, {3.14, 22.47}, p=0.011 and a larger strength gain for the upper
body, 8.37% {1.61, 15.13}, p=0.017 and total body, 6.28 {0.46, 12.09}, p=0.035 than
the 6M group. The participants had a 2.31% {0.83, 3.79}, gain in bone mineral
density of the spine during the twelve weeks of strength training, p=0.003, but there
were no differences between the groups.

Conclusion: In this study, three meals per day resulted in larger muscle- and strength
gain from strength training when in positive energy balance than six meals per day
over a period of twelve weeks. The reason why we draw opposite conclusions from
short-term studies needs further investigation. More long-term studies are needed to
determine the optimal meal frequency for ultimate gain in LBM from strength
training, and larger groups may be needed to determine an effect of meal frequency
on fat mass. The changes in fat mass had large variations within and between the
groups, making it difficult to draw any conclusions.
175lbs by 31st July

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 07:39:46 PM »
and read this :

www.sportsnutritionsocie ty.org/conference_presentations/ISSNConference_200806_Layne.pdf

it is very eye opening especially this part:

Boheet al. infused EAA for 6 hours but this only produced an MPS response lasting 2 hours though plasma amino acids remained elevated for the entire duration of the experiment.  :o
175lbs by 31st July

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 07:41:08 PM »

Layne Norton has been advocating fewer meals (same caloric intake) for some time now.  I will say that I did a trial run using the same amount of calories and only doing 5 meals rather than 7.....I was hungrier sooner and actually felt better when I finally got to the gym

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 07:41:14 PM »
As soon as I really started training hard (5 days per week, 1 hour each time), my appetite jumped.  When I eat a meal like whey shake & potato, I'm starving 90 minutes later.

Six meals per day is the minimum for me.  I'm about to eat #7 now, and I'll have a snack before bed at 12 or 1

Layne Norton has been advocating fewer meals (same caloric intake) for some time now.  I will say that I did a trial run using the same amount of calories and only doing 5 meals rather than 7.....I was hungrier sooner and actually felt better when I finally got to the gym

Layne wrote me a diet - it had full macro breakdowns, but he said I could do 4-7 meals to get it all in, and split it however I wanted.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »
As soon as I really started training hard (5 days per week, 1 hour each time), my appetite jumped.  When I eat a meal like whey shake & potato, I'm starving 90 minutes later.

Six meals per day is the minimum for me.  I'm about to eat #7 now, and I'll have a snack before bed at 12 or 1

that may be insulin levels changing, rather than real hunger.
175lbs by 31st July

Cromespyder

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 07:43:50 PM »

well, it depends dude.
if your cheat 'meal' is ice cream, yeah, eat your 6 clean meals + that.
but if its something withenough protein, like a hamburger, fried chicken etc, then no, include the cheat meal as one of your meals.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »
this is very interesting stuff

thank u yall
w

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 07:45:11 PM »
well, it depends dude.
if your cheat 'meal' is ice cream, yeah, eat your 6 clean meals + that.
but if its something withenough protein, like a hamburger, fried chicken etc, then no, include the cheat meal as one of your meals.
that makes sense-thank u
w

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »
that may be insulin levels changing, rather than real hunger.

Definitely hunger....been doing this 20+ years.....

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 08:31:18 PM »
Definitely hunger....been doing this 20+ years.....
:) i was talking to 240, as he said he has a shake and potato.

i have had similar findings to you, and i have always had better workouts on an empty stomach. Although i take a pre w/o milk regardless for muscle gain reasons.
175lbs by 31st July

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 08:34:16 PM »
:) i was talking to 240, as he said he has a shake and potato.

i have had similar findings to you, and i have always had better workouts on an empty stomach. Although i take a pre w/o milk regardless for muscle gain reasons.

clean food = low calories.

Even a steak, potato, veggies, and juice is a lot less than a pile of junk food.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 08:42:28 PM »
clean food = low calories.

Even a steak, potato, veggies, and juice is a lot less than a pile of junk food.

yes but whey protein shakes effect insulin, so does potato's, fibre etc

you said you eat 6-8 meals a day and are constantly hungry.

if you feel hungry so quickly eat a larger meal or add some fat ;) clean or not.

my point was that sometimes even when you eat a clean healthy meal - you can still feel hungry quite quickly due to insulin dropping.

it happens to me when i eat 100g of oats with 100g of whey/casein blend. (which it shouldn't in theory  :-\)
175lbs by 31st July

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 08:46:41 PM »

I hope you're kidding (=trolling).  Don't get so hung up on every little meal.  Life is way too short for that.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »

I've done the less meals thing, as well as doing the smaller 6 meals a day type diet.

Between the two, I prefer the smaller meals better. Why? Because, even thought it's an inconvenience to eat every other hour or so, it tends to keep me in better shape. What I mean, is that I'm not eating more food at once, and I don't feel like a bloated whale nor do I look like one.
I lean towards the opinion that if you eat fewer but bigger meals, your gut will be a bit bigger than someone that eats smaller meals. Look around at a few of the guys in your gym that have good builds but have it ruined due to looking like they've swallowed a pumpkin. Could be drugs (and not meal frequency), could be just meals, or both and possibly neither. Just a speculation, however.

On_Swole

• Expert
  • Getbig III
Re: cheat meal count as what in your daily 6 meals timing?
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 11:02:21 PM »

Always get all of your normal clean meals in first, then have your junk meal as the last meal of the day. That way you get the true benefit without any compromise.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 12:50:16 AM »

It's not a myth. It's a deliberate con to get people to buy protein powder. It's impratical to eat six times a day without a few of those meals being in liquid form.

I agree that it's counterproductive as your body wastes a lot of energy on digestion.