Author Topic: Gas prices drop record amount  (Read 648 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Gas prices drop record amount
« on: October 26, 2008, 10:39:30 PM »
Not low enough. 

Gas prices drop record amount

(CNN) -- A 53-cent drop in gas prices over the last two weeks has set another record, and the publisher of a national survey predicted Sunday that prices will continue to decline -- but at a slower pace.

The average price of self-serve, unleaded gas in the United States as of Friday was $2.78 a gallon, compared to $3.31 on October 10, said Trilby Lundberg, publisher of the nationwide Lundberg Survey.

The 35-cent price reduction measured on the 10th, which brought the average price to $3.31, was the largest drop in the six-decade history of the survey, she said.

The all-time high average was $4.11, set on July 11, according to Lundberg, and prices have been dropping ever since.

She attributed the price reductions to crude prices and demand.

"It is those same two factors that will decide what gasoline prices do from here. I think they will probably keep falling, but more slowly," Lundberg said.

The price of crude oil is the more dominant determinant, she said. Oil Cartel OPEC, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, said Friday it would cut production by 1.5 million barrels per day starting in November.

Oil prices have fallen by more than half from $147 a barrel in July because of lower demand due to tough economic times, especially in the United States. On Friday, the price of crude closed at $64.15 a barrel, Lundberg said.

"The price of oil doesn't seem likely to jump up substantially any time soon and, considering the U.S. economy, it seems likely that oil prices will stay in their current neighborhood," she said.

The Lundberg Survey is based on responses from more than 5,000 service stations nationwide.

On Friday, Wichita, Kansas, posted the lowest gas price of $2.26 a gallon. The highest prices were in Anchorage, Alaska, $3.50, and Honolulu, $3.48.

Other prices include:

San Francisco, California $3.37

Chicago, Illinois $3.12

Portland, Oregon $2.91

Miami, Florida $2.87

Manchester, New Hampshire $2.79

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania $2.79

Denver, Colorado $2.72

Milwaukee, Wisconsin $2.65

Atlanta, Georgia $2.57

Houston, Texas $2.50

Jackson, Mississippi $2.46

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/26/gas.prices/index.html

Cromespyder

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: Gas prices drop record amount
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 11:18:23 PM »
what i want to know is:
when oil is 150/barrel, gas is about 4 dollars
it drops to less than half that, around 60/barrel and its 275/gallon?
i dont get it?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 11:20:53 PM »
what i want to know is:
when oil is 150/barrel, gas is about 4 dollars
it drops to less than half that, around 60/barrel and its 275/gallon?
i dont get it?

you're not supposed to get it, ...the oil companies are. silly man. he still hasn't figured out how screwed he is.
w

Cromespyder

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 11:23:44 PM »
you're not supposed to get it, ...the oil companies are. silly man. he still hasn't figured out how screwed he is.
who is he, me?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »
who is he, me?

he's even more clued out than I thought.  :-\
w

Cromespyder

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 11:51:41 PM »
he's even more clued out than I thought.  :-\
i was wondering who you're referring to, beach bum, me? jesus ::) you're seriously the worst poster on here.

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:44:12 AM »
I was in Miami over the weekend, was like $2.55

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 01:12:54 AM »
Gas should be around a 1.50, but you won't ever see that again... Get used to the 2.00 + mark for life.

This was put into place a long time ago.

It NEVER gets down to the original price... It hasn't gone below an original hike since the early 90s I think... If even then.

Cromespyder

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 01:25:07 AM »
Gas should be around a 1.50, but you won't ever see that again... Get used to the 2.00 + mark for life.

This was put into place a long time ago.

It NEVER gets down to the original price... It hasn't gone below an original hike since the early 90s I think... If even then.
i agree and disagree.
i think gas should be more expensive than it even is now, it's a resource which we depend on for energy but have hardly any domestically, and its finite.
i dont think we should tolerate sending hundreds of billions of dollars outside of the US, i think we should keep the price per barrel cheap, but raise taxes on it highly for non commercial use(trucking etc) so that innovation in alternative energy development and conservation is incentivised, and will also provide more funding for upkeep for our transportation infrastucture.