Author Topic: Sen. Ted Stevens verdict in: Guilty on all 7 counts...  (Read 2203 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Sen. Ted Stevens verdict in: Guilty on all 7 counts...
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:03:09 PM »
Just heard on the news.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Sen. Ted Stevens verdict in: Guilty on all 7 counts...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:13:39 PM »
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A jury found U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens of Alaska guilty Monday of all seven counts in his federal corruption trial.

Sen. Ted Stevens leaves the federal courthouse last week with his daughter Beth Stevens.

The jury found Stevens guilty of "knowingly and willfully" scheming to conceal on Senate disclosure forms more than $250,000 in home renovations and other gifts from an Alaska-based oil industry contractor.

The jury began deliberations at noon Wednesday, but started anew Monday morning when an alternate replaced a juror who left town abruptly last week because of the death of her father.

The verdict comes after jurors in the corruption trial of Sen. Ted Stevens spotted a discrepancy Monday between the government's indictment of the veteran Alaska Republican and a key piece of evidence.

cont...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/27/stevens.jurors/index.html
The judge declined to throw out the related charge against Stevens, who has been fighting seven counts of filing false statements on mandatory Senate financial disclosure forms, involving hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gifts and work on his Alaska home.

The indictment accuses Stevens of checking "No" in response to a question about whether Stevens or his family had "any reportable gift ... more than $260" in 2001. But the form introduced as evidence in court shows he checked "Yes."

The jury sent out a note on the issue, prompting a debate between defense and prosecution attorneys about what instructions Judge Emmet G. Sullivan should send the jury.

Prosecutors said the error was simply a "typo" on the indictment, and that other charges and evidence covered Steven's alleged failure to disclose the home renovations at issue in the case.

Stevens' defense said the judge should toss out the count that no longer matched the evidence.

The judge bristled at the claim by prosecutors that the error was typographical, saying that "presumably someone reads these things" as an indictment is written.

But he did say the defense proposal went too far, instead deciding to tell the jury to match the available evidence with the appropriate charges in the indictment.

"The indictment is merely a charging document, it is not evidence. You must consider all the evidence and my instructions to determine if the government has proven each element in the indictment beyond a reasonable doubt."

The note comes after the jury began deliberations with a new juror replacing one who left town abruptly last week because of the death of her father.

Juror No. 4 is a paralegal in her 40s. She told a U.S. marshal that she had to leave the state for a family emergency after the jury was dismissed Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan dismissed the jury Friday morning after the woman left for California, hoping to resume with her on the panel as soon as possible.

Since then, court officials have made several unsuccessful attempts to reach the woman. It was unclear whether she will return to Washington, the judge said.

She had been asked to speak with Sullivan and attorneys in the case in a phone conversation Sunday afternoon, but they couldn't contact her.

"I think we have been more than reasonable" in trying to reach her, Sullivan told the court Sunday, saying the woman chose "not to further communicate with the court."

The trial was scheduled to resume at 9 a.m. Monday with a brief vetting of the alternate, followed by deliberations.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »
I guess this means Palin will be running for the U.S. Senate if McCain loses the election. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:57:32 PM »
Never mind.  Stevens is up for reelection next week.  He's toast. 

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 01:58:06 PM »
Never mind.  Stevens is up for reelection next week.  He's toast.  

Just a bit...

Pete Dimano

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 01:58:50 PM »
I guess this means Palin will be running for the U.S. Senate if McCain loses the election. 

yep.
!

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »
Good.

Regardless of party affiliation, filth and corruption is filth and corruption.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 03:20:27 PM »
Palling around with...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 03:23:47 PM »
Good.

Regardless of party affiliation, filth and corruption is filth and corruption.

I agree. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 06:45:27 PM »
I actually think Stevens can still win his election.  There are no rules that prevent him from being re-elected.  odds are against it but who knows in this case, he's been around so long and there is a loyaty/republican factor...  This could get really interesting.  If he wins, he could just get booted by the senate anyway.  He could be facing time behind bars.  interesting to watch...

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 02:02:13 AM »
I don't think Palin looks too happy in his company in any of those shots.

Must have been taken AFTER she'd decided to go for his throat.  ;D
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 08:14:50 AM »
Corruption must be dealt with swiftly.  We have far too much of it in our gov.

Everyone should tip their hat to Palin on this one, regardless if you like her or not.  She called him out on his corruption.

Mad Nickels

• Getbig III
  • Team MD
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »
If Ted Stevens resigns-
The alaskan Governor chooses his replacement.
And she can choose herself.
I lost my cherry at www.gymstories.com