Author Topic: If you believe pollster.com...  (Read 1736 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
If you believe pollster.com...
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:49:58 PM »
It's game over.  :-\

The states polling strongly in Obama's favor put him over 270.
http://www.pollster.com/

Damn :o
http://electoral-vote.com/

!

Pete Dimano

• Getbig III
Re: If you believe pollster.com...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »
wow, so mccain could win every undecided state and still lose.
!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:07:06 PM »
It's not over until it's over, I know for a fact this will be very very close and McCain is set to actually win.

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »
I actually know this as well. Insider polls have it very very close.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 09:25:38 PM »

Actually, joe, check out www.drudgereport.com

Even FOX has it a blowout.

You have talked about 'the big muslim revealing'.  You're talked about 'my cousin says...' and now you're talking about secret insider polls.

Will there come a point when you just look at the numbers and realize "my guy is losing"?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »

You have talked about 'the big muslim revealing'.  You're talked about 'my cousin says...' and now you're talking about secret insider polls.

Will there come a point when you just look at the numbers and realize "my guy is losing"?
of course Fox has it as a blow out... nothing like getting every last republican to the polls and 1 in 10 dems staying home because they think Obama has it in the bag...

see dirty politics 101...

MattT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Sponsored by: PVL Sports Nutrition
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:35:52 PM »
of course Fox has it as a blow out... nothing like getting every last republican to the polls and 1 in 10 dems staying home because they think Obama has it in the bag...

see dirty politics 101...

Thing is how many democrats watch foxs new? So basically foxs news is just freakin its own republican base out by saying its going to be a blow out.  Thus making many republicans just sit this one out since they think its going to be a blow.  Sometimes dirty politics 101 can backfire on you.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:37:41 PM »
Thing is how many democrats watch foxs new? So basically foxs news is just freakin its own republican base out by saying its going to be a blow out.  Thus making many republicans just sit this one out since they think its going to be a blow.  Sometimes dirty politics 101 can backfire on you.
If you didn't notice, it's all over the media, even MSNBC...  I'm not saying it won't backfire, I'm saying it's stupid as fuck to think this is in the bag.  Sure as shit if that becomes common thinking, some percentage will not go to the polls thinking there is no need.

MattT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 10:50:51 PM »
If you didn't notice, it's all over the media, even MSNBC...  I'm not saying it won't backfire, I'm saying it's stupid as fuck to think this is in the bag.  Sure as shit if that becomes common thinking, some percentage will not go to the polls thinking there is no need.

No one said its going to be a blow out, they just say theres a chance there could be a blow out, but then they always follow that up by saying that its not over and Obama still has alot of work to do etc.  They never just say its a blow out and call it over now.  And judging from Obamas rallies in CO and the huge turn hes still getting this close to the election less then 9 days, should show u that i dont think to many democrats will be stupid and sit this one out, especially when Obama himself tells them not to. Remember Obama supporters love Obama and will do whatever he says, if he says jump, they say how high!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 11:03:22 PM »

No one said its going to be a blow out, they just say theres a chance there could be a blow out, but then they always follow that up by saying that its not over and Obama still has alot of work to do etc.  They never just say its a blow out and call it over now.  And judging from Obamas rallies in CO and the huge turn hes still getting this close to the election less then 9 days, should show u that i dont think to many democrats will be stupid and sit this one out, especially when Obama himself tells them not to. Remember Obama supporters love Obama and will do whatever he says, if he says jump, they say how high!
I have heard it several times...  I've heard McCain doesn't have a chance on different programs.  I've heard no candidate has come from this far behind to win this close... Today on several programs there were calls for funds to be diverted from McCain to save local races.  Sorry, but I wouldn't freaking be saying this if I didn't see the media pulling this shit.  I'm not pulling it out of my ass.  Play it safe, fight like hell to the end... I don't like all the talk just over a week out that Obama has it.  It's serves little purpose and probably helps McCain more than Obama.

MattT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 11:25:52 PM »
I have heard it several times...  I've heard McCain doesn't have a chance on different programs.  I've heard no candidate has come from this far behind to win this close... Today on several programs there were calls for funds to be diverted from McCain to save local races.  Sorry, but I wouldn't freaking be saying this if I didn't see the media pulling this shit.  I'm not pulling it out of my ass.  Play it safe, fight like hell to the end... I don't like all the talk just over a week out that Obama has it.  It's serves little purpose and probably helps McCain more than Obama.

Dont get me wrong i think the percentage spread will be close obama might win by 2-3% points, but in reality thats a considerable win.  I dont think he'll win by 5-10point like some say, if Obama can just hold PA and NM thats all he needs mcbush can win everything else and obama will still win.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 11:47:22 PM »
Dont get me wrong i think the percentage spread will be close obama might win by 2-3% points, but in reality thats a considerable win.  I dont think he'll win by 5-10point like some say, if Obama can just hold PA and NM thats all he needs mcbush can win everything else and obama will still win.
2 to 3 points in the exit polls is within the margin needed to steal the election.  He needs to be at 5 percent at least in the given battleground state.

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 12:02:20 AM »

hahahahahah Joe knows some shit nobody else knows...

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 12:03:54 AM »
www.fivethrityeight.com  The owner has not been wrong on ant national or state election yet... even before he started this site as a national writer

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:50 AM »
www.fivethrityeight.com  The owner has not been wrong on ant national or state election yet... even before he started this site as a national writer

I wish you people would watch your typos   >:(

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com
w

The Coach

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 12:18:43 PM »
hahahahahah Joe knows some shit nobody else knows...

Alot of people know.........just not on here.

Mad Nickels

• Getbig III
  • Team MD
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 12:20:42 PM »

You're serving Obama well by keeping these dark secrets to yourself ;)
I lost my cherry at www.gymstories.com

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 12:26:22 PM »
Its closer because no one is sure of the actual vote that Obama will get.

The republicans are notoriously stronger at getting their vote out.

Old people vote, young people don't.
Z

The Coach

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 12:28:32 PM »

Hey, he just might lose. But the polls in this years elections just arn't believable and are totally inaccurate. When you have a CBS/NY Times poll and other blatantly bias polls that are anywhere from 12-14 points ahead of Rasmussen, Zogby, WSJ and less bias polls, you can't sit there and tell me about what polls are saying. Frankly, I don't believe any of them. So keep on spewing numbers.

In 2004 the "polls" had Bush down by 6% the night of the election and he won.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »
Hey, he just might lose. But the polls in this years elections just arn't believable and are totally inaccurate. When you have a CBS/NY Times poll and other blatantly bias polls that are anywhere from 12-14 points ahead of Rasmussen, Zogby, WSJ and less bias polls, you can't sit there and tell me about what polls are saying. Frankly, I don't believe any of them. So keep on spewing numbers.

In 2004 the "polls" had Bush down by 6% the night of the election and he won.
not true

Why 2008 Is Not 2004 Redux
by DANIEL SINKER

I've heard whisperings the last few days that, despite the polls, people shouldn't be too confident in an Obama victory next week. The reason? Kerry was polling well leading into election 2004, but Bush won the election. While the latter is true--obviously, we've all been suffering under it--the former is a memory that is been clouded by wishful thinking. We wanted the polls to be better, so we remember them as better.

Looking at polling results from the final days of the 2004 campaign paints a very different picture: With only three exceptions, Bush held the lead in 22 out of 25 polls going into election day. Those leads, which averaged 2.23% for Bush, very closely mirrored the final election outcome: a 2.45% margin of victory.

It was going to be a close race--but it was clear who was going to win. The thing about close races, though, is that you can look at a close race and hope that your candidate can leap that final distance (the few polls that had an Kerry victory showed him at 1.33% up). But, with the luxury of time, it's easy to see now that there wasn't really a contest: the numbers were overwhelmingly in Bush's favor, even if the margins were small. Realizing that back then would have saved me a lot of heartache (probably many of you too).

2008 is a different story. In the most recent data available (10/26) Obama leads in every single national poll. His average? Of the seven polls released, he averages a margin of victory of 7%, more than three times what Bush was averaging in 2004. That's an entirely different ballgame.

As a result, this year you can see the "wishing a poll was better" game flipped on its head. The Drudge Report today (in addition to butchering a seven-year-old quote from Obama) cites a single poll, John Zogby's, as evidence that the race is getting closer. Even that poll has Obama up by 4.7%. By cherry-picking the outlier (an outlier that still shows the other guy ahead by a healthy margin), Drudge hopes to show that the race is "tightening." It's not.

This election is not going to swing 7% away from Obama in the next seven days any more than 2004 was going to swing 2% towards Kerry in the last week. Even someone as bad at math as myself can see that 2008's numbers are beginning to look like they add up to victory.

!

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »

coach could be right guys...just because McCain loses the election doesn't necessarily mean he wont be the next president.
DAWG

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 01:37:54 PM »
The main problem with US poling is that the distribution of likely voters is based on party.
Each polister more or less guesses to how many democrats or republicans are assigned to a poll then independents are added.

The big thing that is happening this year is the use of non-tradition polls which are heavily favored to younger voters.
That is why gallup is running both traditional and expanded polls.
Real Clear posts both on their website and averages them with other tradition and expanded polls.

It will be interesting to see if the expanded vote actually comes out.

It would be more realistic if people stayed with traditional polling and then evaluated expanded polling at the end.

But then we wouldn't get the story that the media wants.

If you take median instead of the mean From Real Clear Pollitics it is closer to 5% and if you drop the none traditional polls it is closer to 4%
Z

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 01:42:56 PM »

:o

After five years on Getbig...

MattT not just makes sense but hits a verbal homerun.

I can't believe it.

Who logged in on his account and wrote this post just now?

As empty as paradise