Author Topic: Bodybuilding - tax writeoff?  (Read 616 times)

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
Bodybuilding - tax writeoff?
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:57:21 PM »
Seems obvious seeing it in writing, but I never thought about the fact that pro bodybuilders are able to take a tax write-off on most of their competition expenses. 

http://www.minyanville.com/articles/Paulson-taxes-funds-tax-AET-hedge/index/a/19727

"For every James Simons -- founder of Renaissance Capital and the smartest billionaire in the world, according to Forbes -- there’s a Dexter Jackson.  Dexter was 2008’s Mr. Olympia.

Do you know how much it costs to grease up a 215-pound physique for competition? Pro bodybuilders can write it off, as it’s a necessity for competition."

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
Re: Bodybuilding - tax writeoff?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 01:00:37 PM »
Well hi there, I just spent 20k on illegal hormones, can I have a tax break?  ::)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
A friend of mine had one of those ghey ass "pay sites" for the sole purpose of legally claiming it as a business, and writing off her competition/training expenses - gym, hair, makeup, suits, tanning.. whole nine yards. She said it worked out well in her favour financially.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 02:08:22 PM »
A friend of mine had one of those ghey ass "pay sites" for the sole purpose of legally claiming it as a business, and writing off her competition/training expenses - gym, hair, makeup, suits, tanning.. whole nine yards. She said it worked out well in her favour financially.
As long as she could demonstrate a profit motive (if necessary), then it's all good.