Author Topic: How many times can you marry?  (Read 4615 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
How many times can you marry?
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:26:40 PM »
How many times can a woman (or man) get married before it becomes a mockery?  With gay marriage on the ballot in California (and all the attendant commercials now airing) I'm reminded of all the talk about the "sacred institution" that needs to be "protected" but I have never heard conservatives talk about multiple marriages and divorces. 

Is there a limit to how many times straight people can marry and divorce before people start to snicker?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: How many times can you marry?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:39:35 AM »
How many times can a woman (or man) get married before it becomes a mockery?  With gay marriage on the ballot in California (and all the attendant commercials now airing) I'm reminded of all the talk about the "sacred institution" that needs to be "protected" but I have never heard conservatives talk about multiple marriages and divorces. 

Is there a limit to how many times straight people can marry and divorce before people start to snicker?

Awesome.
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:46:38 PM »

Seems like in general you don't hear many comments about 2 or 3....but 4 and up are more discussed.

I knew a guy about 15 years ago that had been married and divorced 5 times.  Maybe if it had been only 2 or 3 people wouldn't have pointed out his number of marriages ???
R

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:00:22 AM »
Bay seems divorce crazy recently................ .... just dont tell him  :)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »
2 I can live with, by 3 I am snickering if they are the holier then thou type. If they are just regular folk, well marry way I guess, but if they are some bible-thumper-sanctity-of-marriage-preacher while they are getting divorced repeatedly I find that hypocritical.

That is assuming divorce, being widowed is a whole nother ballgame obviously.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:29:23 AM »
being widowed is a whole nother ballgame obviously.
Mmmmm I think if some one is widowed to many times I would also raise an eye brow as well  :-\

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:29:54 AM »
Ask Coach!  8)
S

CHEVEN

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 05:04:31 AM »
For me its just once. If it don't work out I'm gong to stay single for along while.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 07:04:34 AM »
There should be a limit, maybe 3.

After three failed marriages, it's you!!! Doesn't mean someone is a bad person, has cooties, etc... just that they're stupid and keep making the same mistakes over and over again. In theory, marriage is supposed to be a legitimate contract between a man, woman and God (or any variation on that if you're Mormon or gay) not some game you keep getting do-overs until it gets perfect.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 07:49:11 AM »
Mmmmm I think if some one is widowed to many times I would also raise an eye brow as well  :-\
:o
R

parsnip1965

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 07:29:32 AM »
A friend of mine (New York big business type, female) says her parents have been married 10 times between them.  Mother 6 times, father 4.  She tells her mother "why don't you just screw around..."

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:29:11 AM »
A friend of mine (New York big business type, female) says her parents have been married 10 times between them.  Mother 6 times, father 4.  She tells her mother "why don't you just screw around..."

How do you "protect marriage" from people like this?  I've never heard conservatives comment on people who flout marriage vows in this way.  ???

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 07:59:07 AM »
 :'(

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 02:24:28 AM »
As many times as you have excuses for why the rich sugar daddy's keep dying off

;D
Just Bad Bad Blood!

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 04:19:10 AM »
one time is one to many.
DAWG

parsnip1965

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 12:10:38 PM »
How do you "protect marriage" from people like this?  I've never heard conservatives comment on people who flout marriage vows in this way.  ???

You don't.  You just tolerate it and hope most people don't follow their example.  Live and let live.