Author Topic: How long does Humalog last?  (Read 6402 times)

io856

How long does Humalog last?
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:50:48 AM »
I have read conflicting opinions and reports about this issue.

Once the 10mL vial has been pierced and is used how long is good for in the fridge?

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: How long does Humalog last?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 04:01:24 AM »
It takes me several months to finish one.

io856

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:11:38 PM »
BUMP

Please I need to know!

So keeping a pierced 10mL vial of humalog in the fridge for 90 days is ok? How long is it before you should throw it out?

At what point does it become unstable and useless?

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 04:00:07 AM »
BUMP

Please I need to know!

So keeping a pierced 10mL vial of humalog in the fridge for 90 days is ok? How long is it before you should throw it out?

I just answered you.  It's fine for quite a while...at least 90 days.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »
BUMP

Please I need to know!

Its going to be less effective than a new vial.   Per label, it should be discarded at 28 days.   It can be considered unstable after that point.     

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »
Its going to be less effective than a new vial.   Per label, it should be discarded at 28 days.   It can be considered unstable after that point.     

Yes, but you know the estimates from the labels are VERY conservative.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 11:19:56 AM »
Yes, but you know the estimates from the labels are VERY conservative.

Conservative or not, do you really want to fuck around with unstable Insulin?   :-X

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »
Conservative or not, do you really want to fuck around with unstable Insulin?   :-X

DIV

Again, it takes me a few months to work through a bottle and I've never had an issue.  If anything, it may just be a little less potent, but I certainly can't tell a difference.

I had this exact conversation with Milos.  It lasts quite a while when refridgerated.  He even had a diabetic client that was keeping it in his hot garage for long periods with no adverse effect on it's effectiveness on his blood sugar.  I certainly would not try that, but IMO and his opinion, it lasts quite a while if taken care of.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 01:38:42 PM »
if you aska diabetic they would laugh at the idea of slin going bad in a month. even at the idea of it having to be refridgerated. my aunts diabetic and she keeps a boatload in her cabinet.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 03:49:40 PM »
if you aska diabetic they would laugh at the idea of slin going bad in a month. even at the idea of it having to be refridgerated. my aunts diabetic and she keeps a boatload in her cabinet.
Um, bullshit. 

I go through more than a vial a month, so thats irrelevant, but insulin can be EXTREMELY temperature sensitive depending on what type you have.   I've had major problems with a bottle of Humalog recently and years ago a bottle of Regular that I thought didn't need to be refrigerated, so I hauled it around in my {air conditioned} car on a warm summer day.  That pretty much rendered it useless.  Storing it in a cabinet is flat out stupid in my opinion.   

I've copied the protocols for insulin handling from the diabetic childrens camps I have worked with.  My insulin is kept on ice or in a refrigerator at all times.   That shit is too expensive and my life is too important to mess around with temperature thinking its "safe".    ::)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »
I've copied the protocols for insulin handling from the diabetic childrens camps I have worked with.  My insulin is kept on ice or in a refrigerator at all times.   That shit is too expensive and my life is too important to mess around with temperature thinking its "safe".    ::)

I don't use Insulin, but the whole temperature issue alone is something you don't really want to take a chance with.

It amazes me how people take these types of risks with their health, just because of hearsay or other people getting away with it.

DIV

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »
I don't use Insulin, but the whole temperature issue alone is something you don't really want to take a chance with.

It amazes me how people take these types of risks with their health, just because of hearsay or other people getting away with it.

DIV
its simple... people are stupid.   They get by with shit and they think its the way things are always.  at some point they will get burned.  Then they'll cry and blame someone or something else.  its the way of humans. 

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 04:10:50 PM »
its simple... people are stupid.   They get by with shit and they think its the way things are always.  at some point they will get burned.  Then they'll cry and blame someone or something else.  its the way of humans. 

You say that, but I've never taken that type of risk with my life.

My using UG products (Tren) is the closest thing you could point to as risky behaviour.....

I'm not using Insulin/IGF-1/GH.....

DIV

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »
You say that, but I've never taken that type of risk with my life.

My using UG products (Tren) is the closest thing you could point to as risky behaviour.....

I'm not using Insulin/IGF-1/GH.....

DIV
LOL.  I'm in one of my moods today where half of our species could drop dead and I'd stand there like an idiot with a smile on my face.   Im posting opinions that are a bit extreme for the norm I guess.  ;D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 05:30:19 PM »
Um, bullshit. 

I go through more than a vial a month, so thats irrelevant, but insulin can be EXTREMELY temperature sensitive depending on what type you have.   I've had major problems with a bottle of Humalog recently and years ago a bottle of Regular that I thought didn't need to be refrigerated, so I hauled it around in my {air conditioned} car on a warm summer day.  That pretty much rendered it useless.  Storing it in a cabinet is flat out stupid in my opinion.   

yeah, im bullshitting you     ::)

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 07:29:51 PM »
I have no doubt that Vet is absolutely correct.  I can only tell you what I know based on my first hand experience.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 10:07:39 PM »

So let me get this straight: Since a 10ml vial at 100iu/ml is a total of 1000iu this would mean that the average dose for a diabetic using Humalog would be about 35iu per day to get full use of the vial in 28 days.

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 01:14:35 AM »
You might aswell use penfills. 3ML, lasts about one month with bodybuilding dosages.

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 02:14:32 AM »
I use 20 IU preworkout four times per week.  Therefore, a 10 ML vial lasts me 12 1/2 weeks refridgerated.  I've never had an issue.  It works just as well near the end and in the beginninig.

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 03:10:02 AM »

DIV

ha-ha
imo, if one uses slin and aas he's already taking chances w/ health...
well....then the risk is magnified w/ careless storage....hmm...guess, u a right then
;)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 08:17:23 AM »
So let me get this straight: Since a 10ml vial at 100iu/ml is a total of 1000iu this would mean that the average dose for a diabetic using Humalog would be about 35iu per day to get full use of the vial in 28 days.
I take more than that in a given day.  I use abotu a bottle and a half to 2 bottles a month for management of my diabetes

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 01:16:17 AM »
I take more than that in a given day.  I use abotu a bottle and a half to 2 bottles a month for management of my diabetes

Of Humalog? I have a relative that's type one and Humalog is usually reserve for special situations. Usually she uses the slower, sustained release Humulins.

I'll take your word for it since you're both a doctor and a diabetic and your posts show you know what you are talking about. I just want to clarify.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 08:05:53 AM »
Of Humalog? I have a relative that's type one and Humalog is usually reserve for special situations. Usually she uses the slower, sustained release Humulins.

The diabetics I know use Humalog. It's more patient friendly since you can take it immediately before a meal or even just after a meal. What "special situation" would warrant Humalog use?

These guys use the long acting insulin as well of course, for the basal level and at night (at least I think they take it at night).

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 02:24:40 PM »
Long acting insuline requires you to watch your food intake even more. You can't eat fats or too much carbs when the slin is peaking. Besides i usually train at night, a longer acting insuline could cause a hypo while sleeping.