Author Topic: Video:405 for 24 on deadlift. IS this "lifetime natural" roiding? WHAT SAY YOU?  (Read 7649 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Let me make this easy:

a) It is possible to do naturally.  I have pulled 405 for 20 or 21 reps stiff-legged and I am clean at about 218 lbs.

b) The guy may or may not be clean, only he knows.  His look is possible clean in my opinion. 
Obviously, not so easy for you, Chris.  :D

Army of One

• Getbig V
Ok, Doug is very strong... and his physique is extremely impressive.  So I can see how some people might have some private doubts about whether he is juicing.  But I was laughing out loud at the guys who are soooo certain that he isn't natural!  If you ever saw him work out might find it easier to believe.

I am a friend of Doug's and he is one of the most intense, disciplined, determined men I ever met.  He pushes himself to the wall on every set, and he NEVER misses a workout: Not when he's sick, not when he is crashing on a project at his job and has to put in crazy hours at the office... never.  And he never misses a meal  He does take a LOT of supplements.... lol.  But he would be first to tell you that.  But no steroids, no hormones. He has too much self-respect to take that crap... never mind lie about it.  Again, if you knew him you would find this a little easier to believe.

By the way, I'm the one who shot the video.  In that same workout I pulled 315x18.  Not nearly as impressive, but on the other hand, I will be 42 next month and I've only been training regularly for less than four years. So Doug's set was impressive but hardly impossible for a natural.  I think some of you guys need to stop wallowing in jealousy and self-pity, get off the computer, and hit the weights a little harder!

Hi Doug.

Writerman

• Getbig I
Hi Doug.

Whatever dude -- get a life.  I guess he held camera himself, though mental telepathy or something?

(The video of my 315x18 got corrupted. But I can post the video of my 225x24 set... same gym, same power rack... in case anyone would like proof.  You can even hear's Doug's voice while he is holding the camera.  It seems kind of pointless, though.  People here seem to believe whatever they want to believe.)

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
I used to train at the gym where Doug trains.  He is one of the most disciplined, focused people I've ever seen in the gym.  He and his wife never miss workouts.  He has incredible genetics.  If you saw him you'd see TINY jounts and very full muscle bellies.  Kinda like a white black dude!

Anyway, I've never followed him 24 hrs a day, but I've known plenty of guys on gear, and I'm comfortable believing him.  I've also known a couple of genetic freaks...  He's one.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
I don't want to sound as if I'm raining on anyone's parade here, the video is certainly very impressive... but (and it's a big ol' Jennifer Lopez sized but):

THAT'S NOT A PROPER BODYBUILDING STYLE DEADLIFT.

Every rep is done with a rounded over back... if the back was (properly) arched, or even just flat, then he'd have to lower his butt another 8 to 12 inches on each rep; in turn that would require bending the legs much more than he is doing. It's akin to the difference between a hamstrings-to-parallel squat; a thighs-to-parallel squat and an ass-to-heels squat.

A good rule of thumb here would be that an arched back would perhaps HALVE his number of reps (maybe only reduce them by a third if he's a really good squatter)... but he'd get better erector spinae muscles and less injuries from it.

Just my two cents... no offense intended. Purely as a powerlifting/strength feat that video is incredible.

The Luke

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
the photos of him with his wife...he doesn't look that big standing next to her.
Deep Tissue Massage

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
the photos of him with his wife...he doesn't look that big standing next to her.
Are you still skinny fat and if so why?  You have been around here for years yet have made no progress. I do not understand.  ???

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
I don't want to sound as if I'm raining on anyone's parade here, the video is certainly very impressive... but (and it's a big ol' Jennifer Lopez sized but):

THAT'S NOT A PROPER BODYBUILDING STYLE DEADLIFT.

Every rep is done with a rounded over back... if the back was (properly) arched, or even just flat, then he'd have to lower his butt another 8 to 12 inches on each rep; in turn that would require bending the legs much more than he is doing. It's akin to the difference between a hamstrings-to-parallel squat; a thighs-to-parallel squat and an ass-to-heels squat.

A good rule of thumb here would be that an arched back would perhaps HALVE his number of reps (maybe only reduce them by a third if he's a really good squatter)... but he'd get better erector spinae muscles and less injuries from it.

Just my two cents... no offense intended. Purely as a powerlifting/strength feat that video is incredible.

The Luke

You have serious issues with people who are stronger than you.  Here is the bottom line; the guy is stronger than you and looks a heck of a lot better than you.  Deal with it.  Congratulate him on his accomplishment, don't hate...
w

The Luke

• Getbig IV
You have serious issues with people who are stronger than you.  Here is the bottom line; the guy is stronger than you and looks a heck of a lot better than you.  Deal with it.  Congratulate him on his accomplishment, don't hate...

I did 425 for 12 with an ARCHED back last Monday... immediately after doing 315 for 10 in the squat: ass to the ground with a two second stop at the bottom of each rep.

I've done 405 for 16 with an ARCHED back (no squats beforehand)... might possibly be able to match 405 for 20 if I mimicked the round-backed style evidenced in that video. I'm pretty close to as strong as that guy... and I'm a definite lifetime natural (btw: people on this board have trained with me, I don't bullshit about lifts).

Only fools think that a deadlift is a deadlift... technique is important.

The Luke

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

The Luke
point well taken broski
follow the arrows

mass 04

• Getbig V
point well taken broski
HHAHAHAHAH does he think anybody reads these 76,082 word manifestos?

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
HHAHAHAHAH does he think anybody reads these 76,082 word manifestos?
hahah that's like asking if anyone thinks big foot exists... no one but Luke!   :D
follow the arrows

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
I did 425 for 12 with an ARCHED back last Monday... immediately after doing 315 for 10 in the squat: ass to the ground with a two second stop at the bottom of each rep.

I've done 405 for 16 with an ARCHED back (no squats beforehand)... might possibly be able to match 405 for 20 if I mimicked the round-backed style evidenced in that video. I'm pretty close to as strong as that guy... and I'm a definite lifetime natural (btw: people on this board have trained with me, I don't bullshit about lifts).

Only fools think that a deadlift is a deadlift... technique is important.

The Luke

Let's see some video of your impressive feats...
w

mass 04

• Getbig V
"The Luke" claims to have better calves than Yates and would look like Labrada in contest shape.

io856

suckmymuscle > The Luke

way smarter etc. etc.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
very impressive clip, dude is put together but i can definitely believe he's natural.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
Hey "The Luke", how can you expect anyone to take your word for anything on the net?  Have you ever posted a pic or video of yourself, or have you just talked a big game?  Everything you claim could be true, but you can't expect people to just believe you...  I want to see a video of your impeccable form performing the deadlift with heavy loads.  If it is as important as you say then teach us.  Show us what you mean.
w

The Luke

• Getbig IV
Hey "The Luke", how can you expect anyone to take your word for anything on the net?  Have you ever posted a pic or video of yourself, or have you just talked a big game?  Everything you claim could be true, but you can't expect people to just believe you...  I want to see a video of your impeccable form performing the deadlift with heavy loads.  If it is as important as you say then teach us.  Show us what you mean.

...Chris, surely you don't think that round backed heaving is proper form do you?

The Luke

io856

a "dead"lift is a deadlift.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
I always assume good faith.

If it CAN BE DONE naturally then I assume that he is natural if he says he is natural.

I believe that his physique is naturally attainable and his lifts can be done naturally.

His bodyfat is pretty low, so he might take something for bodyfat, but his muscle mass levels can be attained naturally.

Meso_z

• Getbig V

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
stats?
tank u jesus

The Luke

• Getbig IV
a "dead"lift is a deadlift.

...so very untrue.

Do a Youtube search for "DieselWeasel" if you don't believe me.

I squat with 315 because that's all I can handle squatting to full depth and stopping at the bottom; if I squatted just to parallel I might be able to handle 350ish... squatting just to the point where my hamstrings were parallel I might be able to handle 400ish... but what would be the point?

Too many people on this site are too hung up on weight: MattC's and Ron Harris' (Pazuzu) terrible form videos are prime examples of this.

The Luke

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
...Chris, surely you don't think that round backed heaving is proper form do yo
The Luke

Great job avoiding the question and point. 

To answer your question I think it is fine.  The guy's form in the video is fine.
w

The Luke

• Getbig IV
Great job avoiding the question and point. 

To answer your question I think it is fine.  The guy's form in the video is fine.

...Chris, don't you and your training partners all suffer from recurring injuries? I seem to remember you mentioning this in a previous thread.

The form in that video is perfectly acceptable from a powerlifting standpoint, but is an open invitation to a disc injury (probably in the mid to upper back).

The medical guys on here will agree with me.

The Luke