Author Topic: Abortion...  (Read 6823 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: Abortion...
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »
Tu this isn't about me.  I'm just stating the facts.  Millions of people view this as an important issue.  Members of the Catholic leadership called this the most important issue in politics.  It's not going away.  It will never be a settled issue IMO.

Also, the stats I posted show a lot of people do not favor abortion on demand and many favor at least some restrictions. 

Let's have this conversation again when Stevens keels over or Ginsberg resigns.  I guarantee you abortion will be the hottest topic when it comes to selecting the next supreme court judge.   

It may be... but then again, you think all of these states went blue and none of them thought about voting for the next Supreme Court Justice?

Come on Beach... The PEOPLE don't care... You say "Millions", but millions more say it's fine... Abortion is DONE.

What part of the fact that it's the vocal minority that talks pro-life do you not want to admit to?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2008, 05:17:32 PM »
It may be... but then again, you think all of these states went blue and none of them thought about voting for the next Supreme Court Justice?

Come on Beach... The PEOPLE don't care... You say "Millions", but millions more say it's fine... Abortion is DONE.

What part of the fact that it's the vocal minority that talks pro-life do you not want to admit to?

Given the economic crisis and the fact that supreme court appointments were largely not discussed during the campaign, no I don't think a lot of voters were thinking about judges.  They should have been.  A few of us on the board talked about it on the board.  I'm sure I created a thread or two about it. 

But what exactly do you want me to admit?  That abortion is not an issue for millions of voters?  Cannot admit that, because it's factually inaccurate.  You may not care, but millions of people do.  The fact Obama won the election doesn't change this fact.   

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2008, 06:06:54 PM »
But what exactly do you want me to admit?  That abortion is not an issue for millions of voters?  Cannot admit that, because it's factually inaccurate.  You may not care, but millions of people do.

how about admitting that you're not going to be able to outlaw it in this country, certainly not in a generation or two, and that the right-to-life movement's time would be better spent preventing unwanted pregnancies.   Convince people that it's easier to use a condom than it is to get an abortion, or to pay child support for 18 years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2008, 06:11:57 PM »
how about admitting that you're not going to be able to outlaw it in this country, certainly not in a generation or two, and that the right-to-life movement's time would be better spent preventing unwanted pregnancies.   Convince people that it's easier to use a condom than it is to get an abortion, or to pay child support for 18 years.

Why would I admit that?  Aren't third trimester abortions outlawed in some states?   

I don't think there are any easy answers.  I've already said the issue will never be resolved.  There is no acceptable political answer.  If Roe v. Wade is never overturned, abortion will still be an important issue for millions of people.  If is overturned, it will still be an issue for millions of people.